Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 1. How did you experience the book?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
How did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to "get into it"?

message 2: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1801 comments Mod
I was engaged immediately and interested to see where the story went.

message 3: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 891 comments Like most of the novels from contemporary authors of Indian background, it was easy to get into the story and the characters. They have a characteristic method of storytelling which is quite effective.

message 4: by John (new)

John Seymour I was somewhat engaged, but there was, from the very beginning, an aspect of Desai's voice that was very irritating for me.

message 5: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1287 comments I had read this before, but didn't remember it well. I knew I had liked it a lot and was surprised at negative comments when the February books were being chosen. Why was it disliked, I wondered?

message 6: by John (new)

John Seymour Pip wrote: "I had read this before, but didn't remember it well. I knew I had liked it a lot and was surprised at negative comments when the February books were being chosen. Why was it disliked, I wondered?"

I can only speak for myself, but while Desai has a distinctive voice, for me a lot of her humor (I'm being generous) came across as mean-spirited snark. I picture her as one of the Indian college girls that Biju ran into while delivering Chinese food in New York.