Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 3. Compare and contrast Bose and the judge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Bose was the judge’s only friend in England. “A look of recognition had passed between them at first sight, but also the assurance that they wouldn’t reveal one another’s secrets, not even to each other” (p. 118). Compare and contrast the two men.

message 2: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1801 comments Mod
I really cant remember enough about Bose to answer this, what I can remember is they were both foreigners in a strange land working to better themselves for the sake of their families, both ambitious and both poor and trying to hide that fact.

message 3: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 891 comments Unfortunately, I don't have the book with me, but I remember that their paths ended up being different, to the extent that it also contributed to their final split at that last dinner they had in Kalimpong.

message 4: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1287 comments Bose was a more optimistic character than the judge, at least when they were in England. He was a helpful friend for a while, advising the judge on how to be more English, but they did not see much of each other toward the end of his stay. When they met years later, it was not a happy reunion. Bose drank heavily and reviled the English, the judge kept his counsel and said" The present changes the past, Looking back you do not find what you left behind, Bose" which I particularly liked. The judge never revealed much about himself to anyone, not even Bose, and he left him knowing they would never meet again. Bose seemed, from what we know of him, a warmer character than the judge.

message 5: by John (new)

John Seymour Pip wrote: "Bose seemed, from what we know of him, a warmer character than the judge. "

A low bar.