Carry On Carry On discussion

Confusion about the ending

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (last edited Mar 30, 2017 07:41PM) (new) - added it

Chelsea I really enjoyed this book, but that ending was kind of a mess! Where did Nico go? He was very gung-ho about helping because the Mage had supposedly arrested his sister, but then he just vanished. Also, was she arrested? Because she also says she "came back", which to me does not really sound like she was being taken anywhere against her will. I had become so invested in the characters (shipped Baz and Simon HARD), so it was kind of a let down that there just seemed to be so many loose strands in the ending.

Alana I agree with the loose end with Nico! But his sister, Ebb, was in fact "arrested" by the Mage but he tried to use her for her power but ended up murdering her. Nico was heartbroken (I believe. I don't know if this was explicitly said in the book, but I do know he drove with Penny and Baz to Watford) because she was his twin and the person he cared most about. I bet he just went on living his sad vampire mage life in London, frequenting seedy night clubs after her death, but it was never explained. Hope that cleared that up!

message 3: by Chelsea (last edited Mar 30, 2017 07:54PM) (new) - added it

Chelsea I actually meant more specifically where was he in the final showdown with the Mage. It's not as fresh anymore, but from what I remember he literally just disappeared from the story. I didn't mean what happened to him in the long-run, I mean literally he was itching to help them and then he was just gone. It's like he got edited out of the finale.

I start running towards my car.
Nicodemus is right behind me. “I’m coming with you!”
I keep running. He grabs at my arm again, and I whirl around, starting a fire in that palm. He jumps back.
The Bunce spaniel yelps at him.
“I have to save my sister,” he says. “And you could use my help. You know I can’t get in on my own.”
I tilt up my chin. “I could use your help. And if what you’re saying is true, Ebb certainly could. But I’ll be damned to hell twice over before I let a vampire into Watford. Even a gelded one.”

That's the last time Nico shows up in the book. His sister is in mortal danger and he just disappears. It felt like really sloppy editing, because it's not like he and his sister aren't close. It was already established that they went out of their way to stay in touch to some level despite him being banished from her world, so it makes zero sense that he would just shrug his shoulders and do nothing to help her.

message 4: by Lady Willpower (last edited May 10, 2020 12:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Willpower Chelsea wrote: "I actually meant more specifically where was he in the final showdown with the Mage. It's not as fresh anymore, but from what I remember he literally just disappeared from the story. I didn't mean ..."

I don't think Nicodemus just shrugged his shoulders and gave up. He physically couldn't get onto campus because he had to be invited, and Baz refused to invite him. I do agree that it was sloppy to just drop Nicodemus' character after that.