Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1) Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe discussion


365 views
Thoughts After Reading

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kairu (new) - added it

Kairu Dante is adorable and Ari is the the best. The dialogue is some of the best I've seen and this book is so amazingly and cleverly written. The end has good closure, and the whole concept of the book really gives you insight on these topics. This book was realistic and beautifully held the secrets of the universe.


Xette I. LOVED. IT.

That's all.


message 3: by Kairu (new) - added it

Kairu No more is needed to be said


Emily This book was so great in many ways.Just have to say one word great book that's all :)


Barbara Ari's parents outing him to himself was the one of the best parts for me honestly


message 6: by Kairu (new) - added it

Kairu Haha that was great because he didn't accept it but they totally knew


Barbara Alison wrote: "Haha that was great because he didn't accept it but they totally knew"

yesss!


SHIRLY CARO No one can hate this book because this book is about everythinf, i felt in love over and over again with the characters, the story, everything was good.


message 9: by Red (new) - rated it 5 stars

Red This book is truly amazing.
I love the fact you don't even know it's a love story until the very end.
Also they bring the family of both main characters into the story a lot which I think is not done enough in young adult books, even contemporary, so that was nice to see.
I would reccomend reading this book for anyone regardless of what type of books they enjoy.


message 10: by Mia (new)

Mia George I'm so ready for the sequel, holy moly guys


message 11: by Kairu (new) - added it

Kairu Whaaaa there's gonna be a sequel


Barbor Red wrote: "This book is truly amazing.
I love the fact you don't even know it's a love story until the very end.
Also they bring the family of both main characters into the story a lot which I think is not d..."


I totally agree. The book is amazing. The personalities of Dante and Aristoteles. The atmosphere of the book. The story. How it was written. You have feeling it is real life, real love, not only book with "fake words".


message 13: by Ariadne (last edited Mar 29, 2017 03:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ariadne None,

My mind was thoroughly blown and was filled with fresh clean freeing air.
I loved every second of it.

I would just like to say, aside from this, there are a few select books out there that are so far out of this universe that there are absolutely no words adequte enough for remotely understanding them. you don't understand you just feel and know.this is one of those books.


Lorka My best friend lent me the book saying: It's a book about us.
I sat down and read the whole thing at once and I'm totally amazed!! It was just perfect with extremely realistic dialogues and lovely characters, I fell in love with it and now my biggest wish is to read the sequel. The only thing is that I really wanted to know more about Dante and his side of the happenings.


Ananya I FEEL WARM AND FUZZY AND UHHH I LOVED THIS BOOK


Cordelia Red wrote: "This book is truly amazing.
I love the fact you don't even know it's a love story until the very end.
Also they bring the family of both main characters into the story a lot which I think is not d..."


Yes! I'm so tired of love stories with sappy "heart flutterings" and characters who stop everything because the person they end up with is in the room. This gives an accurate representation of the fine line between romance and friendship and gives readers a realistic view of not just gay relationships but relationships in general.


Amanda Honestly I'm so lucky I decided to read this book this year. I can't even imagine the pain of reading this back in 2013 and waiting FOUR YEARS for the sequel. Even the wait now is killing me.


message 18: by Jish (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jish It's often difficult for me to find a book I can't put down but this is one that only took me a couple days. It's very beautifully written. I was pretty okay not crying through the whole thing until I was finished. I'm really sad i finished this book because it was so amazing. I want moreeee. Also, does anyone know if his other book "The Inexplicable Logic of My Life" is anything like this one?


Amanda Carson wrote: "It's often difficult for me to find a book I can't put down but this is one that only took me a couple days. It's very beautifully written. I was pretty okay not crying through the whole thing unti..."

"Inexplicable Logic" was insanely good, because Saenz is a beautiful writer. It's like "Ari and Dante" in the sense that there is LGBT+ representation and it's a "coming of age" story. I recommend you read it!


message 20: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Bendewald I read this with my 14 and 15-year-old daughters. We loved this story and my girls spotted the surprise a mile away but never told me. We now refer to the boys as if we know them, like they're friends of the family.

I've also heard the audio book and the narrator is just fabulous! Really nails the characters.


Sophie I loved this book so much, I love both the boys and their different personalities, I feel like they go well together and I can't wait for the sequel! I didn't even know there was going to be one until I read this post so thankyou for making my day haha!!


message 22: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Bendewald Wait! There's a sequel? We get to go on with Ari and Dante?!? Really? YES!!


message 23: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Alison wrote: "Whaaaa there's gonna be a sequel"

SERIOUSLY????? WHEN??????


message 24: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina Langebeeke truly wonderful. I loved this book. It warmed my heart.


Shelby Im ready for more just give me the sequal. I have to read his other book to help (That one was great as well) also NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Its over


mylittlefangurl I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was simply beautiful.

Some readers might not like this book because there is no plot to the story. The book is about a teenage boy trying to love himself as well as others. It also talks about him being a teenager and discovering his identity, a process that everyone goes through.

As a young teenage girl, I could relate to parts of the book. I believe this played a role in my whole reading experience. If I had not read this book at the time that I did, I don't think I would have loved it as much.

It had a great family representation that I feel like is not talked enough in books, but was in this one. The way it was portrayed just amazed me.

Personally, it was a quick read because I didn't know what was going to happen next. After every chapter, I was genuinely excited to read the next chapter.

This book just makes you feel warm and happy inside. The story just came so well together at the end. I loved it!

I just wanted to reach inside of the book and hug both Ari and Dante!!!

I would recommend this book for people who just want a fun, light read.

CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE NEXT BOOK!!! <3

~ mylittlefangurl xoxo


Alexandra Absolutely in love with Ari and Dante! Couldn't have been happier that I decided to read this <3.

Also, who else is equal parts loosing their mind with happiness and nerves that there's going to be a sequel?!!


Amelia I loved it so much! The characters were so real and relatable. I can't wait for the sequel to come out!


mylittlefangurl I'm so excited!!! CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL :)))


Maria I loved it, but I especially found it SO, SO incredible that a book that doesn't follow any structure - think about it, Aristotle and Dante is plotless - could still be so engaging.

I never once got bored reading it, all I wanted to do was keep turning the pages... EVEN WHEN DANTE WAS GONE... and it just blew my mind that a book that's just about a teenage boy going about his daily life could grip me so much.


robylegge I loved this book. Ari and Dante are both amazing in different ways: Dante is shiny, good and naive, curious and full of lie; Ari is dark, hangry and live his life all inside himself.
What I liked the most was how their parents help them and support them in everything.
There was no plot, just a piece of life of two teenagers, but it was never pointless or boring.
Also, I cried a lot (especially in the last pages). But most of the time I feel warm and understood.

I need a sequel.


Christy Whiteker I absolutely loved this book. Such a sweet story!


Katia aghh i loved this book so much it had a vibe to it that i cant completely describe but it was a good vibe!!
n i obviously can not wait for the sequel hngngg


Wolfram-Jaymes von Keesing I loved how this plays with cross-cultural identities instead of sticking to just the queer narrative. If there's one thing I love about Suarez's writing, it's that he doesn't always bother translating words into English for the reader. It's a beautiful touch.


Harry This is exactly what i said to a friend of mine whilst discussing the book: im going to make o triple comparison. Call me by your name is the most emotionally drenching queer book ive known (whith a positive sense, if thats possible). Simon vs. Th homo sapiens agenda is actually the most realistic book regarding the experiences of a gay teen. And then theres aristotle and dante, which manages to strike the ultimate middle ground. That is, on the one hand, it is more light hearted than the former, it doesnt quite leave you with the desire to crawl under your bed and stay there for a week. On the other hand, it handles more essential themes than the latter and it doesnt contain itself only to the "gay subject".
Of the few lgbt books ive read, i can easily call this a favourite!


Wolfram-Jaymes von Keesing Mmm. I read for the romance, but if there's something else in there I'm going to love it. Our collective queer story is made up of these tiny moments of intersection that don't always make it into media created by non-queer writers.

On that note, I disagree that Simon vs The Homosapien Agenda is the most 'realistic' book regarding the experiences of gay teens. Perhaps it's similar to your own experiences, to which I say grats! I don't want to invalidate your response to the novel at all. But the rate of homelessness and suicide among queer teens, and the number of queer teens forced into aversion therapy, is still a huge issue - making your statement too far from the truth not to comment on it. (I may also be a little bitter that nobody knows Saturday Church, which was a phenomenal movie that came out at the same time as Love, Simon).

But if you like Simon vs The Homosapien Agenda, you're going to love Geography Club. haha But don't bother with the movie adaptation.


Katia wait Saturday church has come out?? damn i was wondering where it was at. watched the trailer for it sooo long ago gonna have to watch it then :))


Wolfram-Jaymes von Keesing Katia wrote: "wait Saturday church has come out?? damn i was wondering where it was at. watched the trailer for it sooo long ago gonna have to watch it then :))"

Yeah it's only doing the festival circuits and small cinemas, though. It's a little corny in parts, but I think that's because it was targeted at a younger audience. Altogether it was breathtaking.


Wolfram-Jaymes von Keesing haha I'm disappointed that the album doesn't have any of the songs from the movie. MJ Rodriguez does this number called 'Conditions of Love' that'll rock you.


message 40: by soap (new) - rated it 4 stars

soap I really love how poetically metaphorical this book is. I wrote down quite a few quotes because they were so open-ended, which allows the reader to interpret them in their own way.


Lady Willpower Lorka wrote: "My best friend lent me the book saying: It's a book about us.
I sat down and read the whole thing at once and I'm totally amazed!! It was just perfect with extremely realistic dialogues and lovely..."


A retelling from Dante's perspective would be interesting. "Ari's not talking again - why?"


back to top