Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > January 2017 in Reflection - Best and Worst Reads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2017 09:11PM) (new)

MountainKat | 20255 comments Let's reflect on the best and worst of the previous month's books.....

I know I can get so focused on what is next that I forget about all the wonderful books I read for the previous month's challenges! O! M! G! How did it get tone 2017!? New year, new month, new books - what did you read?

Did you find some gems? DNF a few? Find your new book boyfriend or a heroine who personifies TSTL? Come on, we all want to know! What were your standouts for January? Are you looking forward to anything special in February?

message 2: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20255 comments The New Year has gotten off to a really slow start for me, reading wise! Real life is a big part of that, not concentrating like usual on my books. I think probably my favorite book of the month was Blood Vow - I really enjoyed it! Standouts also included Rules of Contact, A View to a Thrill and The Duke and I that is finally available in audio.

The only real dud for me was my FAC book, Confessions of an Improper Bride. I liked the story, but the writer's style didn't work well for me. Not bad enough to stay away, especially since I am intrigued by the sisters and their stories, but it was too easy to put off reading. I was put off a bit by it and never got pulled into the story.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 91 comments Can't wait to read Blood Vow, MountainKat. J.R. Ward is one of my favorite authors.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 91 comments I didn't have any 5-Star books in January. But there were a couple books that I gave 4.5 stars:

When Tony Met Adam (Troubleshooters, #12.5) by Suzanne Brockmann Shelter (Mickey Bolitar, #1) by Harlan Coben

message 5: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20255 comments Robin wrote: "Can't wait to read Blood Vow, MountainKat. J.R. Ward is one of my favorite authors."

Lots of Rhage and Beth in it! =)

message 6: by Connie N. (last edited Feb 08, 2017 12:46PM) (new)

Connie N. | 1046 comments Most of my books I rated 4-stars--pretty middle of the road for me.

My standouts for January were:

Explosive Eighteen (Stephanie Plum, #18) by Janet Evanovich - which I expected. Stephanie and the gang always make me laugh!

and The Deal (Off-Campus, #1) by Elle Kennedy - a new-to-me author and a fun series. The characters were great, with some entertaining and witty banter.

Apparently I was in the mood to laugh this month since the rest of my books were good, but not particularly humorous.

message 7: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments My favorite Romance read from January was My Demon Saint (Shifting Reality, #2) by R.G. Alexander . I really like this series, and I will definitely be reading the next one :)

My least favorite Romance read was Crazy (Rock Me, #3) by Arabella Quinn . I just didn't really care for either the H or h. I don't remember much of it from last month, lol, so that's saying something, but I do remember that I didn't feel a connection between them.

message 8: by Justme (new)

Justme | 106 comments By far my best read for January & perhaps the last year was Mirror of My Soul (Nature of Desire, #4) by Joey W. Hill , though it was a continuation of Ice Queen by Joey W. Hill , which I also read in January & rated 4.5* I gushed about these in a big review here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

My lowest rating was a surprise for me, Dark Promises (Dark, #29) by Christine Feehan at 2.5* "skid marks, inside"...need I say more?!

message 9: by Deejay (DZ) (new)

Deejay (DZ) (deejayreads) | 2 comments My best read for January has to be City of Ashes
And my worst read is An Abundance of Katherines , I was highly disapointed in this one, although John Green is still one of my fav authors .

message 10: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20255 comments Thanks for sharing - I love seeing what others are reading! The good ones add to my TBR and the bad I know to avoid! =)