Beta Reader Group discussion

Writing Advice & Discussion > ADVICE NEEDED: Finding Editor for Broke College Student

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiara (new)

Tiara Giles (tiaragiles) | 21 comments Hello!

I am looking for advice on finding an editor while being a "broke" college student (although I graduate in May, I may still lack a certain amount of finances). I work a mininum wage job (sometimes two jobs). My question is, how do you find an editor that is still good when you are on a very tight budget? I'm not ready for an editor yet but I would like to be prepared. I also hope the advice helps others like me.

Thank you!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 115 comments Hi Tiara,

I'm in the same situation! Do you need copy editing or editing in general? Some people offer a sample edit for free, and you can try to learn from the mistakes they point out. Then you implement them in the rest of your manuscript. Of course, when you get the funds, you should hire them for real as thanks.

Alternatively, you can learn on your own (passively by reading/writing, actively by taking a class on grammar). It'll take a lot longer, but it's free! Us poor people have to take everything into consideration.

One more thing--there are plenty of people who will help you for free! Beta readers can catch many spelling errors, plus big structural problems. When you're ready for an editor, you can pm me and I'll see if I can help you out, since I truly understand. Good luck!

message 3: by A.S. (new)

A.S. McGowan (ASMcGowan) | 16 comments Tiara,

I offer an editing/beta reading package for $0.0003 a word. For example a 120,000 word manuscript would only cost you $36 or a 60,000 would cost you $18. You get the idea :-)

I will go through your manuscript and using track changes edit spelling and grammar errors. You can see all the changes made before the document is altered. Also I provide a chapter by chapter report on what I liked, didn't like and just the over all feel of each chapter.

If interested send me a message.

message 4: by Alex (last edited Feb 01, 2017 06:24PM) (new)

Alex (asato) (i don't know how long you've been writing, so forgive me if i start with the basics.)

Jessica wrote: "Alternatively, you can learn on your own (passively by reading/writing, actively by taking a class on grammar). It'll take a lot longer, but it's free! Us poor people have to take everything into consideration."

riffing off of Jessica's idea on learning on your own and taking classes (including creative writing classes at your community college or joining writers group (ymmv)), which if you're a beginning writer is probably the best solution. if you haven't already, you might consider reading Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself Into Print. It covers the nuts and bolts of writing. Clearly explained with a plethora of examples, exercises and their take on how they'd edit them. i own this book. (i assume that you have Skunk and White, but if not, i'd recommend that as well. ^_- )

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Arntson | 10 comments A.S. wrote: "Tiara,

I offer an editing/beta reading package for $0.0003 a word. For example a 120,000 word manuscript would only cost you $36 or a 60,000 would cost you $18. You get the idea :-)

I will go thr..."

I'd be interested in speaking with you about your services :)
--Jennifer Arntson

message 6: by Tiara (new)

Tiara Giles (tiaragiles) | 21 comments Jessica wrote: "Hi Tiara,

I'm in the same situation! Do you need copy editing or editing in general? Some people offer a sample edit for free, and you can try to learn from the mistakes they point out. Then you ..."

I feel like I need content editing. I've had several beta readers with my current draft. I used to be an English major so there's that on the grammar classes and creative writing classes (I also worked in the English department and the writing center for federal work study). I'm in Broadcast Journalism now (don't want to be a journalist but it's the closest to filming I'll ever get in this town - this is my third and final major switch...five years is too long for me in college).

I feel like I need a more professional view of editing to help me flesh out and get through the stuff I can't see or fix on my own. You know what I mean?

message 7: by Tiara (new)

Tiara Giles (tiaragiles) | 21 comments Alex G wrote: "(i don't know how long you've been writing, so forgive me if i start with the basics.)

Jessica wrote: "Alternatively, you can learn on your own (passively by reading/writing, actively by taking a ..."

Yeah. I replied to Jessica and told her that I used to be an English Major and I worked in the English department and writing center at my university (not in community college. I feel like I should've started there. I probably wouldn't be here for five years). I also checked out the book you mentioned from my university library because they luckily had a copy left.

I just don't completely trust my self editing and I want to do really, really well as a writer. I feel like there is a lot that I am not seeing that others can see.

message 8: by Tiara (new)

Tiara Giles (tiaragiles) | 21 comments A.S. wrote: "Tiara,

I will go thr..."

What kind of editing do you provide?

message 9: by Tiara (new)

Tiara Giles (tiaragiles) | 21 comments Sorry it took so long to reply. I was in the middle of a filming project for class and all of my technology died.

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma Legend (emmalegend1) | 1 comments Hi Tiara
The truth is that Editors are expensive, that's why I use text-speech apps to help me edit my works. It's free and it helps to hear your mistakes than to spot them, especially when you know that words.
Try FREE Talk from Google play store.

message 11: by A.S. (new)

A.S. McGowan (ASMcGowan) | 16 comments Tiara wrote: "A.S. wrote: "Tiara,

..."

Tiara,

I do the full deal, spelling errors, grammar. I look for areas where it would be best to show and not tell. I look for plot holes and will point them out where I find them. I will inform you if a character comes across as too flat and not realistic. So in a nutshell, line editing, developmental editing the full deal all rolled into one package.

message 12: by Alex (last edited Feb 02, 2017 01:20AM) (new)

Alex (asato) Tiara wrote: "I just don't completely trust my self editing and I want to do really, really well as a writer. I feel like there is a lot that I am not seeing that others can see.
I feel like I need content editing. I've had several beta readers with my current draft. "

To figure out more about what an editor can do for you, the different kinds of editing, and for links to editor listings, check out the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (est. 1965 and runs the Nebular awards). they have a really good article: http://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/f.... it has a whole slew of articles about you should also check out the Editorial Freelancers Association, http://www.the-efa.org/. you might also want to check out Jane Friedman's blog (janefriedman.com). She was the publisher for Writer's Digest. here, i just found a good article that could help you figure things out:

Should You Hire a Professional Editor?
Posted on November 10, 2016
https://janefriedman.com/hire-profess...

ah, i just thought of another solution: a critique partner.

message 13: by Tiara (new)

Tiara Giles (tiaragiles) | 21 comments Alex G wrote: "Tiara wrote: "I just don't completely trust my self editing and I want to do really, really well as a writer. I feel like there is a lot that I am not seeing that others can see.
I feel like I ..."

Thank you for the articles!!! I found three people to agree to be critique partners but they've all dropped off the face of the earth after like sharing only two or three chapters with each other and what not. How do you find one that sticks? I think I have one that might stick but I haven't heard from them in a while.

message 14: by Ime (new)

Ime Atakpa | 82 comments I read and write everyday, so if you need a critique partner, I'm sure I could be consistent and reliable. Just message me if you're interested!

Also went to school for English with an emphasis in Creative Writing under published authors, so they've shared some editorial insights with me.

message 15: by Tiara (new)

Tiara Giles (tiaragiles) | 21 comments Ime wrote: "I read and write everyday, so if you need a critique partner, I'm sure I could be consistent and reliable. Just message me if you're interested!

Also went to school for English with an emphasis in..."

Awesome! I'll send you a message!

message 16: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 164 comments That book Alex suggested is a MUST HAVE. I flipped through it and it helped me flush out some of my info-dump scenes. Plus, it'll help you SHOW what's happening.

Your local library might have it

message 17: by Alex (last edited Feb 03, 2017 12:50PM) (new)

Alex (asato) Elisa wrote: "That book Alex suggested is a MUST HAVE. I flipped through it and it helped me flush out some of my info-dump scenes. Plus, it'll help you SHOW what's happening.

Your local library might have it"

Totally. I've been a technical writer for more than 25 years, so the grammar stuff isn't a problem, but how to tell a quality story and bring life to the characters and world definitely need improvement. ^_- If I could inculcate this book's techniques into my first or even second draft I'd become a more efficient and effective writer.

message 18: by Tiara (last edited Feb 03, 2017 01:06PM) (new)

Tiara Giles (tiaragiles) | 21 comments Tiara wrote: "Ime wrote: "I read and write everyday, so if you need a critique partner, I'm sure I could be consistent and reliable. Just message me if you're interested!

Also went to school for English with an..."

Yeah! My university library has it and I reas it last year. I need to look at my notes because I think wrote down some of the info to help me in the future. If I cant find the notes I will see if I can check it out again.