Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General SF&F discussion > What are you reading in February 2017?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Please tell us what you are reading, or planning to read, in February.

message 2: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2120 comments Mod
I have the latest Guy Kay, Children of Earth and Sky, next to my bed to start - I've been meaning to start it for the last few days and haven't quite managed to make it happen yet, but maybe tonight!

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Feb 01, 2017 09:42PM) (new)

Kathi | 3086 comments Mod
I finished Colors of Chaos tonight and will be reading our next Deverry book, The Gold Falcon, as well as the second book in the Sevenwaters series, Son of the Shadows, and in the Temeraire series, Throne of Jade.

message 4: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) | 65 comments I forgot to post in the January thread, but I finished Ninefox Gambit and while I thoroughly enjoyed the first two thirds, I felt the last third really let it down, so was disappointed.

This month, I've started reading Slaughterhouse-Five as I've never read it or any other Vonnegut before. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm only a couple of chapters in.

message 5: by Frank (new)

Frank | 3 comments Jersusalem - Alan Moore
Death's End - Cixin Liu

message 6: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 493 comments Mod
Following up on a friend's recommendation, I'm reading Summer in Orcus and enjoying it very much so far.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine | 593 comments I'm reading The Obelisk Gate; I wish the author had put in a "cast of characters" along with the glossary. I have forgotten parts of this story and the names are difficult

message 8: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 370 comments I finished Tarkin (meh) and A New Dawn (solid Star Wars) just before the end of the month, so I'm starting February with Ahsoka to finish out my TBR Star Wars books.

Next up is probably an attempt to finish The Mabinogion Tetralogy, which I've been reading for over a year. :-/

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Still working through Marcus Agrippa
It's sort of disappointing. Most of the book is about Augustus with some comments about how Agrippa might have done this or that
Interesting but disappointing

message 10: by Pickle (last edited Feb 12, 2017 04:24AM) (new)

Pickle | 202 comments Im re-reading the first five books of The Great Book of Amber then will plough through the last five for the first time i hope.

I dont think its a book for everyone but i think its magnificent. First time i read Nine Princes in Amber i put it down as i just didnt like but i gave it a second go and very glad i did.

message 11: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Starting The Curse of Chalion for next month's discussion.

message 12: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Pickle wrote: "Im re-reading the first five books of The Great Book of Amber then will plough through the last five for the first time i hope.

I dont think its a book for everyone but i think its ma..."

I like the first five better than the last five, but it's still worth reading the whole series at least once!

I just finished Children of Earth and Sky, which was as gorgeously written as all of Kay's books are - the only reason I rated it 4 stars instead of 5 was that I didn't finish the book with a lump in my throat like Kay's best books usually do to me - it didn't quite engage me emotionally. But it was a tightly plotted, beautifully constructed book. Would have been 5 stars from any other author.

message 13: by Wolf_Maiden (new)

Wolf_Maiden | 17 comments I just finished The Grey King. Though it's geared more toward children, I still really enjoyed it.

Now, I'm starting Lirael. It's off to a good start so far.

message 14: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Bran | 15 comments Pickle wrote: "Im re-reading the first five books of The Great Book of Amber then will plough through the last five for the first time i hope.

I dont think its a book for everyone but i think its ma..."

I have to read the first five at least every five years or so ever since I was a kid. Unfortunately, the last five are merely a shadow of the originals. Pardon the pun.

I just finished The Forgotten Room and The Winter People. Both with a ghostly feel to them, but very differnt. Now I've begun The Passage, all of this because I've been waitting for this month's SF read, Dark Matter, to become available from my library. Now I have it, but just finished part 1 of The Passage, which I really like. I've been wating so long for Dark Matter that I can't decide if I should take a beak and read that now, or wait until I've finished The Passage. It's like three of Dark Matter.

message 15: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I've read the first Amber books a couple times at least and always love the. The second set are not as engaging, but still imaginative.

I forgot we are reading The Curse of Chalion next month. I still need to finish Son of the Shadows and Throne of Jade for this month in another group. I had hoped to squeeze in a non-group read, Antagonist, before March. We'll see.

message 16: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finished Marcus Agrippa.
Not bad, but not much Agrippa. The problem is being the right hand man was he stood off to the side of the limelight. A huge blow is that he wrote his memoirs but in the 2020 some odd years since he died they are lost. The book rehashed much of Julius Caesar and Augustus stories

Started Last Year

message 17: by Juliana (new)

Juliana | 18 comments I've finished Six Wakes, A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, and The Fence. Currently reading Apex and then will tackle The Mongoliad Book 3.

message 18: by Sumant (new)

message 19: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I'm about halfway through The Gold Falcon. I'm on school vacation next week so anticipate getting a lot of reading in!

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine | 593 comments I just finished Admiral which a gave only three stars; now on to something a bit lighter: Pirate

message 21: by Silvana (last edited Feb 19, 2017 07:52AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Finished with The Curse of Chalion for next month's discussion. Can't wait to discuss it with you. It was a five-star read for me. And a quick one too. Review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Now continuing the last part of Seveneves - most people say this is their least fave part so I will keep my expectations low.

message 22: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 805 comments Started re reading The Curse of Chalion. Read the series a few years ago. This one was my favorite.

message 23: by Spikeabell (new)

Spikeabell | 6 comments Re- reading Sheri S. Tepper The Song of Mavin ManyshapedMavin Manyshaped series

message 24: by Frank (new)

Frank | 3 comments Reading Ryan Kirk's Nightblade series and have started Marc Turner's, When the Heavens Fall.

message 25: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finished Last Year. It was a good book,

Started another Noble Dead book The Dog in the Dark

message 26: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Bran | 15 comments Random wrote: "Started re reading The Curse of Chalion. Read the series a few years ago. This one was my favorite."

Saw your mention of The Curse of Chalion, then ran across it in the library. Going to give it a shot.

message 27: by Gary (last edited Feb 20, 2017 08:25PM) (new)

Gary Gillen | 25 comments I am reading Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook. He is the author guest at ConCoction in Cleveland, Ohio. I felt it was high time that I start the series.
I also started Storming by K. M. Weiland and will start Lock In by John Scalzi.

message 28: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Gary wrote: "I am reading Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook. He is the author guest at ConCoction in Cleveland, Ohio. I felt it was high time that I start the series.
I a..."

I am quite fond of Glen Cook's original Black Company trilogy - but has not ventured in the rest of the series....must need more motivation or buddy reads.

message 29: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Feb 21, 2017 08:52AM) (new)

Starting my March books for various groups after I finish Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2. So my "reading soon" list is The Curse of Chalion, The Spirit Stone (The Silver Wyrm, #2), Child of the Prophecy, and Black Powder War.

Edited to add that apparently I bought an omnibus ebook with 4 Sarah Zettel books, so I will also be reading The Quiet Invasion for March as well.

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine | 593 comments I just finished Pirate; a "light" read which I finished. I am a bit frustrated by Sam and Remi, who apparently have an endless supply of cash; once it becomes clear that their adversary is willing to kill them, why don't they hire bodyguards (of course, then we wouldn't have all those situations to escape from).
Now I'm starting on Child of a Hidden Sea

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.