A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > Buddy Read February Triptych

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Perri (new)

Perri | 2293 comments Today I learned a triptych in a artwork divided in three sections-huh :)

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 653 comments Lol I have to go to my girlfriends house to pick up the copy I bought. I'm going to ask a girl from last year to join us as well. She wanted to read it then with me.
In other news, I just spent four pages steady with tears streaming down my cheeks in complete silence while reading I Am Pilgrim.

message 3: by Perri (new)

Perri | 2293 comments Amy wrote: "Lol I have to go to my girlfriends house to pick up the copy I bought. I'm going to ask a girl from last year to join us as well. She wanted to read it then with me.
In other news, I just spent fo..."

Wow, what part was it, Amy?

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 653 comments Early still...about the Twin Towers

message 5: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 520 comments I wondered what that meant... have been waiting to see why the book is called that. I am just over half-way done

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7887 comments Maybe it's told in a triptych.... like Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton.

I plan on starting today... I have the audiobook. I love her Grant County series (though not the character of Lena) so am looking forward to it.

message 7: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 520 comments I've only read Pretty Girls by her, so looking forward to reading more like Grant County. I can't stand the character "Angie" in this one

message 8: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9087 comments Mod
A great book and author.

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7887 comments Just started the audiobook. Interesting description of Will Trent. I've listened to the first 3 chapters so far. Good start.

message 10: by Perri (new)

Perri | 2293 comments Pg 1 haha "The drug dealers and the pimps were taking the night off to watch that rarest of miracles occur: The Atlanta Falcons were playing in the super Bowl"

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments I hope to start it this weekend :-)

message 12: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 520 comments Perri - such a weird coincidence!

message 13: by Perri (new)

Perri | 2293 comments Well, I just looked it up and Slaughter used an alternative fact. The Super Bowl in 2006 was the Steelers against the Seahawks. The Falcons lost to Broncos in SuperBowl 33 and I don't believe have ever won one. Too bad they are against the heavily favored Patriots, but at least now i have someone to root for. Apologies for the extreme book discussion detour :)

message 14: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 520 comments That's what I thought... because I heard their first time going was 1999 (and maybe last?) so I figured she must have added that in for the Atlanta people. I don't know why, but I don't love the setting of Atlanta for crime/police books... I think I'm biased with the Rizzoli & Isles series being in Boston

message 15: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Would you all mind if I joined this group read? This is one I've wanted to read for a while.

message 16: by Perri (new)

Perri | 2293 comments Tyler wrote: "Would you all mind if I joined this group read? This is one I've wanted to read for a while."

You bet, Tyler-jump right in!

message 17: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Thank you. Just bought it and started it. What's the goal, just have it read by the end of February?

message 18: by Perri (new)

Perri | 2293 comments Tyler wrote: "Thank you. Just bought it and started it. What's the goal, just have it read by the end of February?"

Yep! Maybe put in spoilers where appropriate

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7887 comments Tyler wrote: "Would you all mind if I joined this group read? This is one I've wanted to read for a while."

Do join us the water's fine!

message 20: by Perri (new)

Perri | 2293 comments So now I'm picturing Will Trent as Fred Gwynne in The Munsters

message 21: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Ya, I thought that was kind of funny.

message 22: by Tyler (new)

Tyler So Michael's not my favorite and I came to this conclusion while reading the Monty Python comment.....just saying. That doesn't mean I'm not liking the book, because I am. A lot.

message 23: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 520 comments I finished this morning! It took me a bit to get into but I ended up really enjoying it

message 24: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Damn, when did you start?

message 25: by Perri (new)

Perri | 2293 comments Tyler how far are you? I just finished part 1 - missed the monty python comment but not liking Michael either (view spoiler)

message 26: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 520 comments 2 weeks ago lol. I've been reading slow recently so I didn't wanna miss out

message 27: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Dana, lol, makes me feel a little better. Thought I was way behind. That's what I usually average for a book too, unless there's an audio upgrade for a book, then I switch back and forth between Audible and Kindle whenever I can (love whispersync).

Perri, I'm on chapter nine, in part 2 (18%). The Monty Python part is on page 61 (for me anyway, for kindle), around 10% in.

message 28: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments I've read the first 5 chapters this morning and starting to get into it now

message 29: by Perri (new)

Perri | 2293 comments Finished the second act of Triptych -hardly seemed related to the first part and I actually liked it more. (view spoiler)

message 30: by Tyler (new)

Tyler I'm right there with you. Just started part three.

message 31: by Perri (new)

Perri | 2293 comments Tyler wrote: "I'm right there with you. Just started part three."

What do you think, Tyler? It's so strange this is Will Trent #1 but until now so little about him

message 32: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Yes, I agree. For Will Trent #1 he sure doesn't feel like the main character. It'll be interesting to see if the second book in the series is written the same way.
I am really enjoying it though.

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 653 comments I couldn't agree more. As I'm sure everyone would...
With how long I've heard about this series, it's like where the hell is Will Trent? Lol He seems like the secondary character.

message 34: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Almost like she wrote this book and then went "and I pick....(throws dart)......you. You will be my main character".

message 35: by Tyler (last edited Feb 06, 2017 06:47AM) (new)

Tyler One thing I'll admit is that at the very end of part one I actually thought I had misread something at some point. This book definitely catches me off guard every once in a while.

message 36: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 520 comments I definitely liked John's storyline the most. I also felt like I was reading two separate books, but was so good when you figured out how all the stories merged together. I am still not sure about Will Trent after finishing it, maybe he gets more involved/interesting as the series continues?!

message 37: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 520 comments Perri - (view spoiler)

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda McGill | 6 comments Hello everyone! Just started last night and am 3 chapters in. So funny the timing of reading this book and the reference about Atlanta being in the Super Bowl!

message 39: by Perri (new)

Perri | 2293 comments Starting part three and finally getting some Will Trent. I like him OK , Angie not so much-although going through what those two went through, who knows how that changes people.

@ Amanda welcome! and the Falcons lost :`( They're not even my team and I felt bad. Fantastic half time show, though. Lady Gaga went stratosphere!

@Tyler, I know exactly what you're talking about and the same thing happened to me in part 2.

@Dana (view spoiler)

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 653 comments Hi Amanda! So happy you came :-)))

So I just finished reading part one and the small bombshell to end it. WTeff, Michael! :-(

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 653 comments Just hit chapter ten. I'm interested to see how all the characters intersect. Felling pretty bad for John right now if what I'm thinking is correct.

message 42: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Just finished it.........damn, that was rough. Great book.

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda McGill | 6 comments I'm somewhere in the middle of part 3. Hopefully going to finish tonight...it's hard to put down!

Did anyone guess the connection between part 1 and part 2? I had some suspicions, but didn't fully put it together until it was revealed.

message 44: by Tyler (new)

Tyler I'll admit I had a hard time piecing things together in this one. I had suspicions too but there was still a lot that I didn't see coming. And I just want to say, Chihuahuas, come on they're not that bad (we have 2). I have a feeling they're not Karin's favorite.

message 45: by Perri (new)

Perri | 2293 comments Finished and I loved the surprises-wish there had been another in third part.

Tyler-haha I think Slaughter was just playing with the amusing picture of a huge man carrying a tiny dog.

Can anyone explain to me (view spoiler)

message 46: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 520 comments I love small dogs, but I agree, there is something funny about a man carrying one around. Especially when she describes Will as Lurch-like.

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7887 comments Small dogs and irresponsible owners ... grrrr.... I like normal sized dogs without Napoleon complexes.

message 48: by Tyler (new)

Tyler We make up for the two chihuahuas by having two Chocolate Labs in the house as well.

message 49: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7887 comments That's good, if the Labs get hungry, they'll have a snack.

message 50: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments I am currently on part 2 about 29% through, but trying to read 2 other books at the same time - will try to crack on later :-)

« previous 1