IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Iggle Reading Challenges > February 2017 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (arcanegumption) | 134 comments New Month, New Challenge, Iggles!

February; the month of love. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, so this month's challenge is to delve into the world of FanFiction.

If you didn't know--
Fan Fiction (or Fanfic) is exactly what it sounds like. Fiction created by fans that use a creators characters and/or settings to write their own stories.

Several best sellers originally started as Fan Fiction: Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire , Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, #1) by Seth Grahame-Smith , and the infamous Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James plus many more.

Interesting article from The Washington Post:
"From ‘Fifty Shades’ to ‘After’: Why publishers want fan fiction to go mainstream" http://wpo.st/0OUY2

But if you want something a little less known check out these top Fan Fiction Sites http://ebookfriendly.com/fan-fiction-...

Find and read one (or more!) and share your favorites here! (Just remember that there are younger Geek Girls here. )

Peace, Love, Canon and AU!
~Tracey

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (arcanegumption) | 134 comments You don't know how lucky you are nowadays, back when you had to walk up hill both ways in the snow, before cellphones and text messages before google and search engines - I was passing notes with friends the EXACT web addresses (if it wasn't exact down to the last ~ or / you were SOL) to read X-Files FanFic.
FUNFACT: The term "shipping" started in the 90's with Mulder and Scully "relationshipper" fans.

I'm going to see if I can find any good ones.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelletheresa) | 228 comments Let me know if you find any good X-File fanfic! I'd love to read some!

message 4: by Vonze (new)

Vonze | 2 comments Tracey, thank you for sharing that fun fact!

I never could get a clear answer "why" people call it "shipping" :D ("you want them ordered together? what, no?")

Makes sense now.

Kendall • thegeekyyogi (thegeekyyogi) | 74 comments How am I'm going to choose?! I do have a Beauty and the Beast retelling I could read for this, but I'm kind of in the mood for some HP fic....like always haha.