Hey Scoops discussion

The Mezzanine
This topic is about The Mezzanine
February/March The Mezzanine > The Mezzanine Discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Moxie (evilpun) | 13 comments Discuss these months book selection here.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Dem footnotes tho... how do you tackle them? 1) stop mid thought, read the note and come back; 2) finish the tangent, go back and read the note; or 3) forget the footnotes

message 3: by Kenny (new) - added it

Kenny Jones | 3 comments Good news. The library set me an email saying it was finally ready for me to pick up. Now I can start reading it.

Moxie (evilpun) | 13 comments Short wrote: "Dem footnotes tho... how do you tackle them? 1) stop mid thought, read the note and come back; 2) finish the tangent, go back and read the note; or 3) forget the footnotes"

the footnotes are required. I got the audio book and I believe they cut to the footnote right away. It is a bit of a mental exercise

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting Moxie, I could imagine how they do the book on audio... lol.

message 6: by Moxie (last edited Feb 12, 2017 07:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Moxie (evilpun) | 13 comments Short wrote: "Interesting Moxie, I could imagine how they do the book on audio... lol."

the guy gets way into reading it lol it adds a whole new dynamic.

Moxie (evilpun) | 13 comments There's thing in the book that are before my time that I don't really understand. Before this book I never knew there were paper straws.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought the same thing Moxie. I'm over 40 and do not remember paper straws. With the authors eccentricities, I was not surprised he didn't know that is what the tab on the can of coke is for; holding the straw in place.

Andrew Langmead | 1 comments I'm a bit older (about 50) and remember paper straws, paper, white, CVS bags with the stapled receipts, and many other things described in the book. That is one thing that I find so surprising about it. What I am feeling is (not quite nostalgia, but) a rush of sense memories of things that no longer exist. But Baker wasn't writing most of this (maybe the paper straws) as nostalgic either. These were all contemporary events that occurred in day to day life without notice.

Moxie (evilpun) | 13 comments The book kind of has become a think piece about the little things you typically don't notice and how if/when they change they can throw you for a slight loop until you readjust. Also I can't believe the character never figured out the trick with a little carton of milk to put the straw in then fold the top back in place to hold the straw deep in the milk.

I've also caught myself folding paper bags. Now I do usually fold paper bags then put then in a bundle neatly in one unfolded paper bag to make their disposal easier. It's something I do regularly otherwise we go nuts with paper bags but now, once again, it seems like a slightly significant process due to the store of proper bag folding described in the book.

message 11: by Kenny (new) - added it

Kenny Jones | 3 comments I'm really loving this rant about air hand dryers.