Israel SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1)
This topic is about On Basilisk Station
Book Discussions > On Basilisk Station - Buddy Read: February 2017

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Esther (last edited Jan 31, 2017 10:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Esther (eshchory) | 218 comments Mod
This is the thread for toose of us who want to read and chat about On Basilisk Station - starting February 2017 but continuing for as long as we want.

I will probably start reading at the beginning of next week.

This book has frequently been recommended to me as a classic and because it has a woman as the main protagonist.
Still I am not quite sure what to expect.

OK Simcha and anyone else who wants to join us - I am starting this today!

message 3: by Zohar (new) - added it

Zohar | 6 comments I'm in !

also, FYI - first book is free on amazon for kindle
https://www.amazon.com/Basilisk-Stati...

message 4: by Esther (last edited Feb 11, 2017 02:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zohar wrote: "I'm in !
https://www.amazon.com/Basilisk-Stati......"

Great!!

I have just started.
I am also reading on Kindle. It is going a bit slow for me but that maybe because it is an e-book, I find I read them more slowly than dead-tree versions.

What do you think about her treecat?

message 5: by Zohar (new) - added it

Zohar | 6 comments Esther wrote: "Zohar wrote: "I'm in !
https://www.amazon.com/Basilisk-Stati......"

I really like the treecat ! As a cat aficionado, I understand the notion that the cat chooses you and not the other way around : )

I just finished chapter 2. Got a little lost in the politics, especially the names of everyone... but Honor seems like my kind of protagonist. As in active, strong female.
I have no idea where the plot is going .. but it reads really well, its a great recommendation ! thanks !

I'll probably go like average 1 chapter per day. but if its really good I might do more . Have to agree with you on the physical book front, it feels different

What do you think so far ? Honor description was so long, all i could register that her hair was chopped .. did it work for you ?

Zohar wrote: "Got a little lost in the politics, especially the names of everyone......"

OMG so true! What totally confused me was when the author used two different names for the same person in the space of 3 sentences!
I am no so sure about the treecat but I am convinced it is going to become significant and am waiting to find out how.

message 7: by Zohar (new) - added it

Zohar | 6 comments Finished it! Damn that ending was brutal..
Did you make it through?

message 8: by Esther (last edited Mar 07, 2017 11:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zohar wrote: "Finished it! Damn that ending was brutal..
Did you make it through?"

Yes, but it hurt.
What I don't get is after all the unsubtle info dumps and over-complicated battle descriptions he managed to (view spoiler)
That is what bumped it up to a 3.5 star for me. I like to get involved with the characters.

So I had very conflicted impressions of this novel: on one hand horrendous info-dumps that wren't helped by the e-book formatting and the truly exciting conclusion.
I had marked the next book in the series to read but it is a free download. I am not sure if my decision would be the same if I had to pay for it.

My review
if anyone is interested.

message 10: by Esther (last edited Mar 07, 2017 11:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

So Zohar, other than the brutal ending what are your impressions?
Simcha, did you get round to reading?

message 11: by Zohar (new) - added it

Zohar | 6 comments Hey!
Here are some of my random thoughts about the book, sorry they are a little jumbled - spoilers ! Esther- I read your review, commented on it below..

-------
(view spoiler)

So, I'm up for book 2! maybe after a little break : )
Also, again, thanks for the recommendation !

message 12: by Esther (last edited Mar 13, 2017 05:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Quote (view spoiler)
I agree this also seemed a little strange to me (view spoiler)