Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > reMarkable canvas paper tablet

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Ha! Their biggest selling point—that it feels like paper—is the main reason I prefer e-readers and tablets to physical media. I hate the feel of paper.
Beyond that, the price is really prohibitive.

message 2: by Rohvannyn (new)

Rohvannyn Shaw | 189 comments J. Riley wrote: "Please note, this is not an ad for this device. I came across this and my mind started racing for possibilities. I thought I would share. It's expensive at $379 for what it essential a Kindle with ..."

Okay, I might want one. I'd like an endless sketch book. That would be cool. Then I could draw like a fiend without ever getting smudgy fingers.

message 3: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4284 comments Mod
To get that "low" rate, you have to order in the next thirty-eight hours and you don't get it until August. Soon, the price goes up to four hundred some and you get it in September. The regular price is over seven hundred dollars. Yikes. Kind of a neat toy, but I can't see practical real reason for having one.

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Actually, the third gen Kindle did have web browsing capabilities. It just didn't have touch screen, so it was a pain in the butt to navigate, but it was a fun novelty to have. As for paper feels, some people don't like snakes, I don't like paper. We don't get to choose our quirks. ;P

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments J. Riley wrote: "Christina wrote: "Actually, the third gen Kindle did have web browsing capabilities. It just didn't have touch screen, so it was a pain in the butt to navigate, but it was a fun novelty to have. As..."

So you guys never read paperbacks??????

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I read physical books, yes, but I didn't drag my hands over the pages. Same when I write. I have majorly damaged my wrists because I keep my hand up off the page while I write.

message 7: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I love the feel of paper, but not when it's too dusty and feel like there's powder on it. Maybe that's why when I read a book I prefer those with the soft pages over the porous ones.

message 8: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer | 824 comments Ok, I love my Kindle Fire (got one three years ago) but...I love my physical books. There is nothing like holding a book in your hands while you read, being able to turn the pages and lay it face down so you only have to pick it up to start reading again. I can make notes in the margins of the ones I own, and generally enjoy it. It's harder to make notes on the Kindle and when you lay it down, it goes to sleep and you have to go to you books to find want you want and that isn't as much fun as a book store or library. I still love going to a library and just sitting there reading, curled up on a comfortable chair. Nirvana!!!

message 9: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4284 comments Mod
G.G. wrote: "So you guys never read paperbacks?????? "

I do, sometimes. I prefer the Kindle, if I have to make a choice.

message 10: by Phil (last edited Feb 02, 2017 10:54PM) (new)

Phil Monks (phil_monks) | 9 comments I actually pre-ordered one of these a few days ago, but more for work than for writing (although, confusingly, I'll be using it to do work writing).

The pre-order price is discounted at the moment, so about $329 all in. I'm willing to take a gamble on it at that price. The "full" price they quote is ridiculous (about $750!), but I doubt that's what it will really retail at - they'd get killed.

Looking forward to it - I don't like tablets due to the lighting, feel, and the fact that you can't really touch the screen, so I've never wanted to use a tablet for this sort of thing. Can't wait for this!

PS - I love physical books, but these days I read pretty much exclusively on my Kindle. I love the light weight and convenience of it. So I guess I'm the ideal customer / sucker for reMarkable.

message 11: by Mary Ellen (last edited Feb 03, 2017 06:25AM) (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 48 comments What I want to know is can I get the stuff I write on that to convert for use on my laptop. It says it will send a PDF to other devices. I'm a horrible typist so this idea is appealing but if I have to then type everything for use in say Scrivener then it seems to have quite a limited usage. I agree that not very many people are going to pay $750. $329 maybe but I'm going with the advice that you never buy a new device like this until it is proven and improved.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil Monks (phil_monks) | 9 comments It's unlikely it will convert your handwriting to text for you, if that's what you mean. OCR for handwriting is generally rubbish, and they don't even mention it in their promo vids.