The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2017 > Spring Challenge 2017: Task Ideas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Jan 31, 2017 05:12PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17387 comments Mod
It's time to start thinking about fun tasks for the Spring Challenge. The bonus theme is Wonders of the World: Modern Wonders

As in past challenges, some tasks may revolve around the seasonal theme of spring. Others may reflect the bonus theme. Other tasks may have nothing to do with either of these themes, they’re just fun ideas for unique reading challenges.

Feel free to post as many ideas as you can come up with. Don't worry about repeating what another player might have already suggested. The more ideas, the better!

The moderators will draw from these ideas as well as their own to create the 5, 10, and 15 point tasks. This thread will be open for ideas until February 16. Spring tasks will begin to be posted on February 18. We look forward to seeing what you come up with!

message 2: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments I'm getting a 404 error for your link.

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17387 comments Mod
corrected

message 4: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments For CN Tower wonder: A book set in Toronto or featuring something about the sports team names- Maple leaves, Blue Jays, Raptors.

message 5: by Doug (new)

Doug Bivens | 31 comments Small Time big time: a book set in or where the main character lives in a small town or a book where the character sets out from small town to the big city

message 6: by Doug (new)

Doug Bivens | 31 comments Let history never repeat: read 2 books set during wwii(a historic fiction work set overseas and a nonfiction work)

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7499 comments Channel and Tunnel both have 2 N's - read a book with 2n's sequentially in title/authors name

Golden Gate Bridge - a book with a bridge on the cover or set in San Fran

since all the modern wonders are engineering - a book that is shelved as engineering or architecture

none of the modern wonders exist in Australia, asia or Africa

message 8: by Doug (new)

Doug Bivens | 31 comments Trip back in time: read 2 books which you havent read since you were a kid. Must be within 5 pages of 100 pages minimum each.

message 9: by Justme (last edited Jan 31, 2017 08:09PM) (new)

Justme | 258 comments Iguazu Falls & Itaipu Dam

Wider & Taller than Niagara Falls...pretty rainbows!

*Read a book with 4 of the colors of the rainbow present on the cover.

*Read a book by an author whose name (first or last) begins with & contains a second 'I'.

*Read a book with a title containing 3 'U's.

Sits on the border of 3 countries: Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay

*Read a book set (>50%) in one of these 3 countries.

message 10: by Shree (new)

Shree | 120 comments Soooo all the new wonders seem to be engineering related (as someone said earlier) so how about a book with the genre urban fantasy or steampunk to counterbalance the non fiction engineering option.

They all also seem to be based on the idea of connection or communication. Maybe read a book from Powerful International Non-Fiction ? Or a book with "International" or "Cultural" as their genre (fiction or nonfiction)?

----------------------------------

Also, as an aside, it is tax season and my wonderful inner accountant (and out-er, it is my job, soon anyways) gets some weird pleasure with taxes and auditing. We could embrace the season and read a nonfiction book with the tag business, finance or economics? Lol. I'm kidding.

message 11: by Trish (last edited Feb 01, 2017 12:15AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2423 comments Both the CN Tower and the Empire State are in big cities. How about a book with a cityscape on the cover.

I seem to remember the CN Tower has a glass floor section that lets you look down on Toronto. So what about an aerial view on the cover (doesn't have to be of a city).

Also, film and TV makers quite often film in Toronto, and make believe that it's NY. How about something about aliases or mistaken identity?

An oldie, but goodie - what about a book set in one of the countries, either with one of the modern wonders, or connected by them (England, France, US, Canada, the Netherlands, Panama and the three countries Justme mentions in message #9.)

England, France and the Netherlands all have North Sea coasts, both SF and NY are port cities, the Canal is also for maritime vessels, and I remember a lovely afternoon on Centre Island in Toronto. What about a book set at least 50% at sea, or on an island.

The North Sea Protection Works are a defence against natural disaster - maybe something about a flood, tempest or tsunami?

Losing Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds so close together seems like it should be commemorated in a task. Carrie Fisher - science fiction, biography, humour, mental health? Debbie Reynolds - music, singing in the rain. romance, chick lit? Or something about mothers and daughters.

Okay, so the Statue of Liberty isn't a Wonder of itself, but it is as iconic as the Empire State. So perhaps we can work something around “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me: I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1442 comments The Netherlands protection works were built to protect the country from flooding. So how about a book about a flood either fiction or non-fiction?

message 13: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1315 comments Doug, I love your suggestions!

March is Women's History Month. Read a non-fiction book about women who have made a difference.

April is National Volunteer Month. Read a book where the main character gets involved in the community, or read a non-fiction book about how a national project got started.

message 14: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments This is an interesting list and seems fitting for this upcoming season's challenge - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Also, I am reading a book about Malaria right now, and one of the modern wonders, The Panama Canal, was greatly impacted almost to the point it failed, by malaria and yellow fever, all caused by such a tiny bug. How about a task around insects, or infectious diseases, plagues, etc.? Sounds creepy, but, the actual history of fighting infections is quite fascinating, and there are many novels around this topic as well that are exciting.

message 15: by Doug (last edited Feb 01, 2017 02:53PM) (new)

Doug Bivens | 31 comments 1 other 1 just came to mind:

Dont spoil the ending: read a book(thats in the works for being made into a movie within the year of the challenge, 2017 in this case) before seeing the movie. share the title of the book and whether or not you want to see the movie(yes or no is fine here though details as to why may help others decide as well)

idea#2: Read 1 book from the general knowledge catagory of your library, one from the history section(preferably american history but history works) and 1 from the biography section. share the decimal catagories where you found each book.(as long as the history book is clearly history/nonfiction it works).

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3566 comments May is Graduation month - Read a book set in a school.

Mother's Day - Featuring a mother
Mother's Day - Flowers on cover

Cinco de Mayo - Set in Mexico
Cinco de Mayo - Author initials in CINCO DE MAYO
Cinco de Mayo - Series book # 5

Earth Day (Apr 22) - NATURE or ENVIRONMENT main page genre

message 17: by Justme (last edited Feb 01, 2017 03:41PM) (new)

Justme | 258 comments Spring is GARDENING!

Read a book with the genre Gardening, or Horticulture, or Plants, or Herbs, or Flowers, or Vegetables, or Fruits (can be embedded).

Check out this list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...
Too bad there are only 16 currently...I just might have to add some!

message 18: by KSMary (last edited Feb 01, 2017 04:30PM) (new)

KSMary | 780 comments Book from list Civil Rights :https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1... or a book about an immigrant experience

message 19: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Books with a single name as an author or a title

Here's a list of books with a single name as a title https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 20: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2423 comments Terri FL wrote: "This is an interesting list and seems fitting for this upcoming season's challenge - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1..."

Ooh. Some nice ideas on that list.

message 21: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 212 comments Since the list of modern wonders contains something in New York and something in California, my first thought was 'road trip'. How about a book that features a major road trip as part of the plot?

message 22: by Laure (last edited Feb 02, 2017 12:23PM) (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 460 comments A few ideas ..

To celebrate the Netherlands North Sea Protection Works, let's read a book written by a dutch writer or situated for the most part in Holland.
... or a novel where the action mostly takes place out at sea, or about ship, sailing, pirates etc.

For Golden Gate Bridge, we could read a book where there will be
- something gold
- a gate
- a bridge
on the cover.

The CN tower - the name of the author or the title of the book need to contain the letters CN.

The Empire State Building was build at the start of the 30's, let's read a book from that decade.
... or it is currently the 29th tallest building in the world. We could read a book with a total number of pages containing a 2 and a 9.

Itaipu Dam - Itaipu means "the sounding stone" in Guarani. Read a book with something in 'stone' on the cover, or with the word 'stone' in the title.
The dam is across two countries: Brazil and Paraguay. Read a book from a South American writer.

Panama Canal - read a book where the title has three 'a's as in Panama.

The Channel Tunnel - this project idea was considered at the start of the 20th Century as belonging to the realm of science-fiction. It became a reality in 1994. Read a book with main genre science-fiction and/or from the year 1994.

Difficult actually to be original! Better luck next time. :P

message 23: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments The PEN Literary Awards are announced in March, in the middle of this challenge, so, a task around current finalists or past winners would be great.

An oldie that we have used but is always fun is a book from the Tournament of Books. I love following their contest! (I just noticed that I haven't read a single book on the 2017 list. Time to get busy!)

http://www.themorningnews.org/article...

message 24: by Trish (last edited Feb 03, 2017 09:18AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2423 comments KSMary wrote: "Book from list Civil Rights :https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1... or a book about an immigrant experience"

I'm on the mailing list for the wonderful Powells Bookshop in Portland (also a sponsor of the ToB), which has come up with a mixed fiction/non-fiction Black Lives Matter reading list. I thought it might tie into KSMary's suggestion as well as Black History month, for anyone who's interested. http://www.powells.com/post/lists/bla...

message 25: by Matisse (new)

Matisse Spring in Bloom: Celebrate springtime with books that fit the season. Read 2 books. Book one needs to have a flower in the title or subtitle, ex; Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. Book two needs the authors initials to make up the word FRESH, ex; Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys.

message 26: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinasreads) | 202 comments As the Channel Tunnel connects two countries read a book set across two countries.

A lot of the modern wonders seemed to the about 'the biggest...', 'The longest...' so read a work over a 1000 pages,

Spring is about new life and new beginnings so read a book about a new life or new start in life. OR as Easter celebrates the death and rebirth of Jesus read a book about death or birth.

Read an author born in March, April, May.

April 1st is April Fool's Day so read a book about a hoax.

April features International Children's Book Day so maybe we could read a children's book for this task

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber (ambrosian) | 238 comments There are seven modern wonders (as well as seven classical wonders) so read a book with exactly seven words in the title/subtitle.

This could also be a book with 3, 4, or 5 words in the title (for March, April, May)

The end of WWII occurred in May, so: a book about war or peace.

World Health Day is April 7th so a book with a MPG of health or medical.

World Poetry Day is March 21st, so a book of poetry or with a MPG poetry.

For Women's History Month, reading a book off of this list of books about trailblazing women would be fun! Or this list of memoirs by women!

message 28: by Brittany (new)

Brittany April is Autism Awareness Month- Read a book where the main character has an Autism spectrum disorder (autism/asperger's syndrome) OR a non-fiction book about autism

March Madness! Read a book about an athlete or non-professional sports

St. Patrick's Day: Read a book with green on the cover
St. Patrick's Day: Read a book where the author's name is a form of Patrick (http://www.behindthename.com/name/pat...)
St. Patrick's Day: Read a book with luck in the title

message 29: by Marie-Anne (last edited Feb 04, 2017 01:30PM) (new)

Marie-Anne | 592 comments Many interesting suggestions already.
- Major modern art/architecture works, geographically distributed, so that each major area of the world is represented. Maybe even paired, along the lines of architecture/Asia, painting/South America, and so on.
- Based on book/play/movie ect. titles that promote tolerance, getting along, peace, etc. For example Il faut du tout pour faire un monde, It takes a village, Live, love, laugh, Sisters of the raven, etc.

message 30: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 592 comments Trish wrote: "Terri FL wrote: "This is an interesting list and seems fitting for this upcoming season's challenge - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1..."

Ooh. Some ni..."

I like it!

message 31: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 592 comments I just thought of another one. So many wars, so much fighting and conflict. How about a 2-book task based on having to read a book set in/about 2 opposing sides in the same conflict.

message 32: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Marie-Anne wrote: "I just thought of another one. So many wars, so much fighting and conflict. How about a 2-book task based on having to read a book set in/about 2 opposing sides in the same conflict."

That's a great idea.

message 33: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1465 comments Panama canal: "A man, a plan, a canal, Panama" is a well known palindrome. Read a book with a palindrome in the title or author name

CN tower: read a book with an author who uses 2 initials instead of a first name, eg JK Rowling.

North sea: a book set in a country that borders the north sea.

Since none of the wonders are in Asia Africa or Australasia; read a book at in one of those continents

message 34: by Justme (last edited Feb 05, 2017 02:56AM) (new)

Justme | 258 comments When I think of 'modern wonders' the first thing that comes to mind is the space station. I looked up to see these modern wonders were selected a few years before the International Space Station was constructed, so the timing would have been Space Station Mir (which holds all the records for an astronaut's consecutive spaceflight or length of time in space, btw).
Salyut, Almaz, and Skylab (1971–1986)
Mir (1986–2001)
ISS (1998–present)

* Read a book in which the characters spend at least 25% of their time on a space station.
* Read a book with the letters 'Mir' intact within the title/subtitle or author's name.
* Read a book published between 1986-2001 inclusive.
* Read the longest book on your TBR or a book over 878 pgs (longest combined time in space).
* Read a book whose author's initials can be found in VALERI POLYAKOV (the record holder at 438 days).
* Read a book with a word in the title that can be found in the letters: SALYUT ALMAZ SKYLAB MIR ISS (minimum 4 letters).
* Read a book from this list: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

Anatoly Solovyev (SSMir) & Yuri Malenchenko (ISS) have each made 5 trips to the space stations of their time (the most listed).

* Read a book 5th in a series or includes 'quints' in the storyline.
* Read a book where all the letters of the title can be found in the word QUINTUPLE.
* Read a book with 241 pgs (the # of trips, 134, plus the number of fliers, 104, to Space Station Mir)
* Read a book authored by someone who shares a name with a visitor to Space Station Mir: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

message 35: by Marie (UK) (last edited Feb 05, 2017 09:13AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2353 comments I would say that medicine and its developments are one of the worlds modern Miracles

who would have thought 50 years ago that life expectancy would be into the 80"s and 90"s maybe read a book written over 80 years ago or by author who lived over that length of time ago

We have made so many advances - in cancer treatment, cosmetic surgery, heart surgery fertility treatment, transplantation etc etc

could we not have something around that either non fiction, memoir or simply a character who provides such treatments

could even go dystopian society after epidemic or similar

message 36: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2195 comments @Brittany msg 28 mentions St Patrick's Day.

Two of the other GB national saints are in the spring season:
Wales - St David (everyone always forgets him, poor chap!) on 1 March - Wales is associated with dragons, singing, daffodils...

England - St George - on 23 April. Dragons too, red cross & roses...

could add something around them into the mix? Maybe a 15 point task with two of three options?

message 37: by Aprile (new)

Aprile | 9 comments Read a biography/ memoir/ autobiography from someone born in another country, who then immigrated to the US.

message 38: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2353 comments Flatpack films a modern wonder

https://www.visitengland.com/experien...

Books that were made into movies maybe

message 39: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2353 comments Mothers day is of course in March here in the UK

Books with a suitable present for mothers day on the cover

Books with word Mother in title

Written by authors whose initials are in Mothering Sunday

Character who is pregnant or just had baby

message 40: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1205 comments March 15th is the IDES OF MARCH. Read a book with the author's initials found in IDES OF MARCH.

April is National Poetry Month in the US. Read a book of poetry.

Cinco de Mayo: On May 5, 1862, the Mexican army defeated the French army at the Battle of Puebla. This single military battle signified defeat of a European colonial power, and a victory for the Mexican people. This single battle was the roots of Cinco de Mayo. Read a book by a Mexican author or takes place in Mexico.

message 41: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3566 comments National Library Week is in April (Apr 9-15 this year) ...
- Featuring a librarian or library
- Cover image of book shelves w/ multiple books shelved (must be more than 1 book in a library!)
- Book you got from the library
- Author First & Last initial in NATIONAL LIBRARY WEEK
- 1st letter of each title word (3-word minimum, all words count) in NATIONAL LIBRARY WEEK

message 42: by Justme (new)

Justme | 258 comments I second book you got from the library! Increasing patronage is a good thing. Hope that includes ebooks; my library is just awesome at filling my requests!

message 43: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I like Alycia's road trip idea. Could expand it to include an option of 1) a title with the words "road" or "trip" or 2) a map on the cover.

Spring is the time of birth. An award-winning book from the decade you were born.

"Spring Forward" - a book that alternates between different time periods (not chronological).

The word "flower" or type of flower in the title or author's name.

"Spring cleaning" - a book that has been on your TBR list or bookshelf for a long time!

message 44: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2353 comments Doug wrote: "1 other 1 just came to mind:

Dont spoil the ending: read a book(thats in the works for being made into a movie within the year of the challenge, 2017 in this case) before seeing the movie. share ..."

I like the book into movie idea But i am not a movie goer where would we find a list of such books

There are some great ideas on this list but finding an appropriate book might not be easy to do

message 45: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2353 comments Book Concierge wrote: "National Library Week is in April (Apr 9-15 this year) ...
- Cover image of book shelves w/ multiple books shelved (must be more than 1 book in a library!)
- B..."

i love this idea my Library is so good

message 46: by Trish (last edited Feb 09, 2017 09:24AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2423 comments Justme wrote: "I second book you got from the library! Increasing patronage is a good thing. Hope that includes ebooks; my library is just awesome at filling my requests!"

As long as a library can include kindle unlimited! :-) It's the only "library" I'm a member of, as I usually buy books, rather than borrow them (even from my friends!), as I can't always be sure when I'll read them.

Separately, maybe we should add George Michael to the memorial tasks.

message 47: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1205 comments Book Concierge wrote: "National Library Week is in April (Apr 9-15 this year) ...
- B..."

I am a librarian and thinks this suggestion is awesome!

message 48: by Justme (new)

Justme | 258 comments Hey Trish, one of the benefits of borrowing ebooks from the library is they automatically return themselves! That means I don't have to slog through the snow to return a book... You can put stuff on 'hold' with 21 days to read it, or you can find something to borrow immediately, should you be ready to read. Which is no different than Kindle unlimited, download & read cause you are in the mood, right? You can do just that with the library, too. And they have format options that include Kindle. I guess it would just be a matter of patronizing a library & getting a card.

message 49: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2008 comments Five of the seven wonders are concerned with water. Read a book with water on the cover or water in the title.

message 50: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments With everything happening in the world right now, how about a book on the immigrant experience. There are Goodreads lists, plus, I also just saw this shorter list from Signature Reads that has some great choices specific to refugees - http://www.signature-reads.com/2017/0...

« previous 1