Space Opera Fans discussion

Reader Discussions > Need help finding a book

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Hello, I need help finding a book. I just read the synopsis about a week ago but I can't find it again or remember what it's called. It's about a bunch of ships sent out to find a new home for humanity (earth is about to die or something) and they all fail except one because it finds an abandoned/dead civilization. They're able to use the buildings and everything else left behind to survive. Then there's something about clues about what happened to whoever left everything behind.
That's roughly what it's about. I think it is a newer book but can't say for sure. If anyone would be able to help I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

message 2: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Doggett (ldwriter2) | 60 comments Don't know that one even though up until they find an abandoned/dead civilization it sounds like one I read many years ago. That one found a living civilization-maybe ancient Eygpt

message 3: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 489 comments New or older book. It sounds like either When Worlds Collide or After Worlds Collide. Both of those are older works.

message 4: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 292 comments When Worlds Collide is really old. It was a movie in 1951. There was supposed to ne a remake in 2015 but I missed it if it cane out.

The two book set was republished in 1975, which was when I first read it. It is worth reading for its role as early apocalypse science fiction.. We watched the movie in film class so it had some cinematic role too.

From your description Tyler, aside from your newer comment, this would fit but it us the basic PA and first contact combo theme which is so common it is hard to pin down. If you remember any more details let us know.

message 5: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Pretty sure it was a newer book, as in the last few years.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Was it the one with the young man who has some kind of sentient little dragon or something that rides on his shoulder all the time? Gah! Can't remember the name, but it was relatively recent, they found a planet with alien advanced civilization that appeared abandoned.

message 7: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 292 comments Anna wrote: "Was it the one with the young man who has some kind of sentient little dragon or something that rides on his shoulder all the time? Gah! Can't remember the name, but it was relatively recent, they ..."

Are you referring to Pip and Flinx by Alan Dean Foster? Several of the covers Flinx has the mini-dragon on his shoulder. I think the last one was published in 2009.

message 8: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 277 comments That definitely sounds like the Flinx books (might not be the actual series name) by Alan Dean Foster. The man was Flinx and his little lizard was Pip.

message 9: by Anna (last edited Feb 27, 2017 07:30PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Yes, that was it! Pip and Flinx. The last book, as I recall, had a long-extinct alien planet. I think... Pip started out as an adolescent, but by the later books he's all grown up.

message 10: by Betsy (new)