I am Number Four 2017 discussion

16 views
Chapter 24-End

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?


message 2: by Cole (last edited Feb 13, 2017 11:05AM) (new)

Cole | 8 comments A theme the author was trying to emphasize is that things are better when your not hiding secrets. I think he's trying to make the reader realize that you should not hide secrets from those close to you. The author does this by showing how much Sarah, Sam, and Mark can help after they know about what is really going on. "Behind it, holding the knife in her shaky right hand, with tears in her eyes, stands Sarah,"(Lore 1884). This spot shows how much John is helped by his normal friends after they know about him.


message 3: by Logan (new)

Logan | 7 comments A theme the author is trying to emphasize is that you should trust your friends with your secrets because if they are true friends then they should except your differences. "I don't care what you are or where you're from." (Lore 318). This shows that his girlfriend accepts him for being different.


message 4: by Logan (new)

Logan | 7 comments Cole wrote: "A theme the author was trying to emphasize is that things are better when your not hiding secrets. I think he's trying to make the reader realize that you should not hide secrets from those close t..."I agree with cole that the author was trying also to say to not keep secrets from people because they can end up helping you later.


message 5: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments Logan wrote: "A theme the author is trying to emphasize is that you should trust your friends with your secrets because if they are true friends then they should except your differences. "I don't care what you a..." I agree that the author wanted you to trust your friends. Any good friends such as Sam and Sarah would respect your differences and help you with them.


message 6: by Haley (new)

Haley | 6 comments A theme that the author is trying to emphasize is that you should trust each other and except people who are different. Sam and Sarah were great friends for john unlike mike. Sam and Sarah are true friends to john and would help him out with anything. They do not care if he is from a different planet or that he is an alien. They except him for being who he is and for being different.


message 7: by Parker (new)

Parker | 3 comments A theme throughout the book is suspense. You tell because John could be killed at any minute by the Mogadorians. It's even more suspenseful because John is next to die. Pittacus Lore, the author is surprising us, which builds up suspense. You can tell because when Sam says the thing about the Mogadaians during the Halloween parade. Pittacus tries to do this by making it unexpected. You never know what the next plot twist is.


message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 7 comments A theme that the author is trying to emphasize in this story, is to not hide your true self. John's goal in life was to hide his true identity from the world. Though there was quite a valid reason for this, it caused many conflicts socially with the other characters. Hiding himself from the others gave John big shoes to fill. He had to continuously try to be like the other kids while on the inside he was not. Being as different as John was from the others made it difficult for him to fully fit in as an individual. I think the author was also trying to show the readers that it is okay to share your secrets/insecurities with those that you trust fully.


message 9: by Rachel (last edited Feb 21, 2017 10:17AM) (new)

Rachel | 7 comments Haley wrote: "A theme that the author is trying to emphasize is that you should trust each other and except people who are different. Sam and Sarah were great friends for john unlike mike. Sam and Sarah are true..."
I agree with this. Sarah and Sam, being as accepting of John as they were, showed the readers how important it is to share these things with those you trust. At first, John was nervous and was very hesitant to tell his friends about his secret. This can relate to real world problems with openeing up and sharing with those around you.


message 10: by Corbin (new)

Corbin Emrich | 4 comments I agree with what Rachel said i think that since through the whole story how John just trys to hide him self the whole story shows the theme of dont try to hide yourself.


message 11: by Abby (new)

Abby Pilcher (abpilcher) | 4 comments A specific theme the author emphasized in this book was be yourself. He tried to get this across to the reader throughout the book, when John told the truth about him things tended to go better than when he lied an example is when Sam tried to shoot him because he lied about being an alien.


message 12: by Colette (new)

Colette Nowers | 8 comments One theme the author tried to get across was to be yourself, no matter what the consequences may be. The author showed this because when he lied about who he was bad things would happen but when he told the truth people really trusted him. And people like Sarah and Sam were willing to help him once they knew the truth, so the theme is to tell the truth and be yourself.


message 13: by Casey (new)

Casey Walker | 8 comments I think the main theme of the story is all choices have consequences. The author got the point across when John decides to stay in Paradise while risking his whole life doing so. Later on this affects him drastically when the Mogodarians kill Henri and almost John and his friends too.


message 14: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Anderson | 8 comments A specific theme that the author emphasizes is throughout this novel is that everyone may not be who you really think they are. “I’m just happy to find out you’re not the dick I thought you were” (Lore 207). People might not be the person you thought they were. Also when john was an alien and nobody knew it.


message 15: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Anderson | 8 comments Haley wrote: "A theme that the author is trying to emphasize is that you should trust each other and except people who are different. Sam and Sarah were great friends for john unlike mike. Sam and Sarah are true..." I disagree. Mark was kind of a bad and mean person at the beginning, but i feel in the end mark became a very good friend to john. Mark saved Johns life in the end of the book.


message 16: by Colette (new)

Colette Nowers | 8 comments Abby wrote: "A specific theme the author emphasized in this book was be yourself. He tried to get this across to the reader throughout the book, when John told the truth about him things tended to go better tha..."

I agree that the theme of the novel was to be yourself. I also think that things were better for John after he told the truth. Because people started to trust him more and he was safer when people knew the truth and were trying to keep him safe.


message 17: by Casey (new)

Casey Walker | 8 comments Abby wrote: "A specific theme the author emphasized in this book was be yourself. He tried to get this across to the reader throughout the book, when John told the truth about him things tended to go better tha..."

I definitely agree with Abby. Throughout the whole story it does emphasize this theme. Whenever John tells someone the truth about him it always says he feels so much better and at ease. This is why I agree with Abby saying the theme was to be yourself.


message 18: by Elelevan (new)

Elelevan | 1 comments so far this book has made it seem almost real
the moods are sad and energetic at the end I found it hard what happens to Henri but the author made the readers want to read more after Henri I was really upset but It makes you talk about the book promoting it to others the Author made the book seem so real My bf tried to get powers but when I used my telepathic powers YOU SOULD HAVE SEEN THERE FACES it was priceless.
I am 11


message 19: by Huy (last edited Mar 24, 2017 02:25PM) (new)

Huy Thai | 8 comments A specific theme that the author wants to express is that don't lie because you will always have to make up new lies to cover up the old ones. I feel this way because as an alien John has to cover up his identity because of the situation but upon every event that has happened he always has to make up new lies to cover up that fact that he has supernatural abilities that humans has witnessed. For example, when John and Sam was ambushed in the woods John used his strength to defend himself and Sam. Though Sam has witnessed bits and pieces of the event, John had to cover it up with lies so Sam doesn't suspect John as anything different.


message 20: by Huy (new)

Huy Thai | 8 comments Casey wrote: "I think the main theme of the story is all choices have consequences. The author got the point across when John decides to stay in Paradise while risking his whole life doing so. Later on this affe..." I agree because of his decision to stay in paradise and leave a trail of evidence that he was there, the Mogadorians were able to track him down and eventually killed Henry as a consequence of his decision to stay.


back to top