I am Number Four 2017 discussion

18 views
Chapter 1-7

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?


message 2: by Haley (new)

Haley | 6 comments The setting takes away from the story. The family is always moving houses and changing names, this gets confusing and makes it hard to understand the setting. In the beginning we get a setting about a jungle, but then we get the setting of a school, different houses and different states. The first two pages are the hardest to understand with them being in a jungle.


message 3: by Parker (new)

Parker | 3 comments A unique factor about the setting is that it is in a world where aliens are among us. It's unique because literally nobody is getting suspicious. Like, nobody questioned why John's face was an unnatural shade of red, or why he is so overly warm. It enhances the story because at any moment, John's cover will be blown. Although, it should have been blown when John's face was turning red.


message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 7 comments The setting of this story is unique because of the characters living in it. It takes place in a totally normal place on earth, but shares memories of a much more dramatic setting from the main characters home planet. It shares memories from the characters past which is a far fiercer and dramatic setting than the one we are in throughout the story. It is also unique watching the other characters question our character John's strange way of living.


message 5: by Bryna (new)

Bryna Gloeckner | 3 comments The setting enhances the story by making it more relatable. They put "John Smith" in a typical high school environment, with typical Teenage problems that come along with being a new kid. However the setting also adds some suspense, because John and Henri must be ready to pack up and leave at any second to run from the mogadorians, another alien species living on earth.


message 6: by Abby (new)

Abby Pilcher (abpilcher) | 4 comments The setting is unique because while number four or John Smith is in an ordinary high school and he has his powers forming. I think that the setting both enhances the story and takes away from the story. It enhances it by having number four relate to the reader by dealing with day to day struggles that normal people have "I begin walking down the aisle, straight towards Mark James, who is sitting at a table with Sarah Hart. As I pass, he sticks his foot out and trips me." (Lore 32).
The setting also takes away from the story because it's kind of confusing since number four moves around and changes his name every time they move, so the reader might get confused on weather or not his name is Daniel Jones or John Smith.


message 7: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Anderson | 8 comments What is unique of the setting in the book I am number four is that Henri and his keeper are always on the move, and the setting never will stay the same. I think it enhances the story. I think it enhances the story because they never stay in one place, sort of an adventure type, and you know that something is always coming next. The cêpan and the keeper have moved all over. Starting at there home planet named Lorien, on to Florida, and now Ohio. Moving all over the U.S. sounds like a good time, but having to make new friends each time it might get a little difficult.


message 8: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Morgan | 3 comments The setting of the story takes your focus away from the big issue, that being that our main character, "John Smith", is being hunted down by murderous aliens and could be killed at any moment. John Smith, or his real identity Number Four, and his keeper are constantly on the move, always changing identities and schools. Because they're always moving, it can be confusing in the beginning as to where this is actually taking place. It first starts out in a jungle, before moving to Florida, and then to desolate Paradise, Ohio. The way its written leads you to begin focusing more on his personal life than anything else. But, it can also be looked at as a positive. By enrolling in a high school with humans, it makes it more relatable as he's trying to struggle through it. Overall, I think it's interesting but it would've been nicer if the beginning was organized more.


message 9: by Logan (new)

Logan | 7 comments The setting of the story I am number four effects the story by John Smith, the main character, is always moving around and never staying in one place for long and whenever they move its always to a small town which means they have the issue of always settling somewhere new every few months. "Always a small town, a small school, always the same routine." (Lore 23). I think this is the last place they'll stop for a while.


message 10: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments The setting of the story doesn't affect the story very much, because John Smith doesn't have anyone that knows his secret yet. The people at the school just think he is a normal person. John and Henri intentionally move to small towns like Paradise, Ohio(Lore 18). This is so they can blend in and avoid things of interest from happening. For this reason the story is not affected much by the setting because there is no one to increase the conflict.


message 11: by Huy (new)

Huy Thai | 8 comments When Mark picked a fight with John, I think it greatly enhances the story because even though John was supposed to stay under the radar from the Mogadorians he still stepped up to Mark and make a scene on his first days at that school," 'Leave him alone,' she says' This has nothing to do with you,' he says. 'Right. You see a new kid talking to me and you immediately to start a fight with him. This is just one example of why we aren't together anymore.' "(Lore 37) something like this could cause the enemy to find him easier and that he has a higher risk of being found and killed.


message 12: by Colette (new)

Colette Nowers | 8 comments The setting adds to the story because even though it takes place in present day earth. The characters move from small town to small town meaning that you get to know many characters and hear about many places. The setting also enhances the story because you see them going through the same routine of moving from small town to small town (lore 18) I like the concept of having it always take place in small towns.


message 13: by Casey (new)

Casey Walker | 8 comments The setting of the book affects the story a lot. It changes the main focus on the last five Lorians being hunted by the Mogadarians. John Smith the fourth in line to be killed, must move constantly to try to avoid the Mogadarians. In the beginning of the story he has to move to Paradise, Ohio because Henri his keeper fears of being found. John soon discovers his legacy after moving to Ohio. His legacy is the ability to be resistant to heat. For the time being he can't control it. However with Henri's help he can master his legacy and be able to have his whole body be resistant to heat. He still has more legacies to come and I believe later in the story he will be able to fight off the Mogadarians and live a happy life on Earth.


message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 7 comments Bryna wrote: "The setting enhances the story by making it more relatable. They put "John Smith" in a typical high school environment, with typical Teenage problems that come along with being a new kid. However t..."

I agree. Adding the normal setting of a high school adds something to the story. John, though he is the opposite of normal, gets to live the life of a typical teenager. At least until they have to move again. This gives the story a suspenseful feel because you know that the normality of it all is going to change quickly.


message 15: by Huy (new)

Huy Thai | 8 comments Cole wrote: "The setting of the story doesn't affect the story very much, because John Smith doesn't have anyone that knows his secret yet. The people at the school just think he is a normal person. John and He..."
I understand where you are coming from, but he stranded up against the what I can imagine most popular bully in the whole school! That would sure to attract a lot of attention even if he lived in such a small town like Paradise, Ohio.


message 16: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Anderson | 8 comments Haley wrote: "The setting takes away from the story. The family is always moving houses and changing names, this gets confusing and makes it hard to understand the setting. In the beginning we get a setting abou..."

Haley wrote: "The setting takes away from the story. The family is always moving houses and changing names, this gets confusing and makes it hard to understand the setting. In the beginning we get a setting abou..."

Haley wrote: "The setting takes away from the story. The family is always moving houses and changing names, this gets confusing and makes it hard to understand the setting. In the beginning get a setting abou..."

I disagree that it takes away from the story. I think it enhances the story because you they are always on the go. It makes it mlre fun, always meeting new people. Who do you think the first two pages were about?


message 17: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Morgan | 3 comments Huy wrote: "When Mark picked a fight with John, I think it greatly enhances the story because even though John was supposed to stay under the radar from the Mogadorians he still stepped up to Mark and make a s..."

I completely agree with you. By John sticking up for himself and defying Henry's orders, it enhances both the mood of the story and is a terrific example of John rebelliousness. Do you think John will get the hint or do you think this display of attitude will continue throughout the book and potentially lead to larger problems with both Mark and the Mogadorians?


message 18: by Bryna (last edited Feb 10, 2017 10:15AM) (new)

Bryna Gloeckner | 3 comments Rachel wrote: "The setting of this story is unique because of the characters living in it. It takes place in a totally normal place on earth, but shares memories of a much more dramatic setting from the main char..."
Rachel, you have some really good points, but characters and settings are two different things. The definition of setting is "the locale or period in which the action of a novel, play, film, etc., takes place"(www.Dictionary.com), so the setting can't be unique because of people that are in the setting. I think you could talk about Paradise and earth more and the characters less, but over all your post was fantastic.


message 19: by Logan (new)

Logan | 7 comments Cole wrote: "The setting of the story doesn't affect the story very much, because John Smith doesn't have anyone that knows his secret yet. The people at the school just think he is a normal person. John and He..." I disagree with Cole I think that the setting of the story has a huge impact on the story because if he consistently has to switch schools and start his life over every few months it means the area that they are currently cold change drastically when the move.


message 20: by Colette (new)

Colette Nowers | 8 comments Abby wrote: "The setting is unique because while number four or John Smith is in an ordinary high school and he has his powers forming. I think that the setting both enhances the story and takes away from the s..."

I agree, I think that the setting while adding to the story by using a small average town to help readers relate. Also takes away from the story because of the confusion with their names and locations frequently changing. And making it so that you are introduced to new characters in flashbacks and as they're moving from place to place.


message 21: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments Logan wrote: "The setting of the story I am number four effects the story by John Smith, the main character, is always moving around and never staying in one place for long and whenever they move its always to a..."I disagree that the setting affects the story because the real conflict with the main character doesn't begin until they're in Paradise and not moving around.


message 22: by Casey (new)

Casey Walker | 8 comments Haley wrote: "The setting takes away from the story. The family is always moving houses and changing names, this gets confusing and makes it hard to understand the setting. In the beginning we get a setting abou..."

I agree the setting does take away from the story. With the constant moving it is sometimes hard to understand. When I first started reading I had no idea what was happening but it takes time for you to realize the actual setting and what is going on.


message 23: by Corbin (new)

Corbin Emrich | 4 comments What i think is unique about the setting is how its hard to know what the setting is because they are constantly moving from house to house and town to town and thats what i think makes the setting unique.


message 24: by Haley (new)

Haley | 6 comments Logan wrote: "The setting of the story I am number four effects the story by John Smith, the main character, is always moving around and never staying in one place for long and whenever they move its always to a..."
i agree that they continuously are on the move. I do think that it makes the story a little unclear.


back to top