Gone 2017 discussion

Chapter 36-End

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?

message 2: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 7 comments One of the main themes was that children can be independent without adults. I think the author was trying to describe what could happen if anyone over the age of fifteen did disappear in real life. Some kids would rebel, and some would work together. We would definitely have to be independent, but some people would abuse rules and gang up on others just like the Coates kids did. At the beginning of the book the kids start to realize in order to survive they have to work together but also be independent.

message 3: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Williams | 7 comments One of the themes were to be able to live of and be by them self. They can do things independently. What the author was I think trying to get across is put aside your differences you wont always have each other to depend on. You will most likely be by yourself some day. And the fact that you need to have a good relationship with others. The author showed this in many ways, like kids taking care of the little ones. Them having to survive.

message 4: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Williams | 7 comments Alyssa wrote: "One of the main themes was that children can be independent without adults. I think the author was trying to describe what could happen if anyone over the age of fifteen did disappear in real life...."

I think you expand this well and how you used good points from the book.

message 5: by Tripp (new)

Tripp McGowan | 9 comments A main theme in this book is that children can manage to stay alive without adults catering to their every need. The children were able to make their own food at the Mcdonalds and use the materials from places like the hardware store and other peoples homes. The older kids were able to take care of the toddlers and babies without the babies parents being there. I think the that yes children can live by themselves if they had to but adults are wanted for help. The author is trying to tell the readers how smart children actually can be without their parents.

message 6: by Tripp (last edited Feb 21, 2017 08:00AM) (new)

Tripp McGowan | 9 comments Caleb wrote: "One of the themes were to be able to live of and be by them self. They can do things independently. What the author was I think trying to get across is put aside your differences you wont always ha..."
I agree with how the author was trying to let people know they would have to put aside their differences and work together.

message 7: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | 8 comments Erin wrote: "What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?"

I think the author tried to get us to understand is that when an emergency happens, it's okay to panic and to be scared, but you should never give up. In the end the kids in the book had each other and even though at the beginning they were scared and worried, they worked together to make the FAYZ seem more like home. And even thought they haven't gotten out of the FAYZ yet, they will eventually if they just work hard and stick together.

message 8: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | 8 comments Caleb wrote: "One of the themes were to be able to live of and be by them self. They can do things independently. What the author was I think trying to get across is put aside your differences you wont always ha..."

I agree with you of the fact that they are all different but they didn't let that bother them instead they worked together as a team.

message 9: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 7 comments Tripp wrote: "A main theme in this book is that children can manage to stay alive without adults catering to their every need. The children were able to make their own food at the Mcdonalds and use the materials..."
I agree, I liked how you described specific places they went to.