Divergent 2017 discussion

Chapter 30-End

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby Thoms | 8 comments The authors theme was that if you think you can be something others think you can't go for it. The author was trying to show the readers that it's okay not to be like the others and defy what they think is wrong. The author showed this by having Tris go through many challenges to get to her one main goal, finish on top. Even though Tris was the weakest at the beginning, being a Divergent can change what you think will happen by over coming the situation. "A weight in my chest lifts. I didn't realize it was there until it's gone, and I didn't feel it anymore. I smile, and a tingling spreads through me. First. Divergent or not, this fraction is where I belong." (Roth 413). While reading this story you can tell the author wanted to make sure that you knew that being you is okay you don't need to fall under others.

message 3: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 4 comments Abby said "he authors theme was that if you think you can be something others think you can't go for it. The author was trying to show the readers that it's okay not to be like the others and defy what they think is wrong. The author showed this by having Tris go through many challenges to get to her one main goal, finish on top. Even though Tris was the weakest at the beginning, being a Divergent can change what you think will happen by over coming the situation". i agree with her because while i was reading the story you can tell that the author wanted to make you knew that being you is okay you don't need to fall under others.

message 4: by Shiv (new)

Shiv Patel | 8 comments The theme of the story is " The people around you think You Can't Do It." The author was trying to get his point across that not everyone in the world is the same. Everyone has their differences and similarities. The author showed this by having Tris go through many obstacles to prove that she can do it. "A weight in my chest lifts. I didn't realize it was there until it's gone, and I didn't feel it anymore. I smile, and a tingling spreads through me. First. Divergent or not, this fraction is where I belong." (Roth 413) That is how I think the author tried to make us readers learn something.

message 5: by tylee (new)

tylee | 8 comments the theme of the story is that everybody is not the same and can't be accurately put in to groups. because they can't exactly fit only one personality. the author is trying to get across that you can't put people in groups, or factions. they tried to do this by showing that a lot of people fit into multiple groups, and that nobody was a perfect match for any of them.

message 6: by tylee (last edited Feb 21, 2017 10:09AM) (new)

tylee | 8 comments Abby wrote: "The authors theme was that if you think you can be something others think you can't go for it. The author was trying to show the readers that it's okay not to be like the others and defy what they ..."

I agree that part of the theme was that you should let others underestimate you, and if they think you can't do something, do it anyway. but i also think that some of the theme is that people can't be put into groups, or stereotyped.

message 7: by Abby (new)

Abby Thoms | 8 comments tylee wrote: "the theme of the story is that everybody is not the same and can't be accurately put in to groups. because they can't exactly fit only one personality. the author is trying to get across that you c..."
I agree with Tylee 100% on this. The author almost seemed like she had a plan that this is what she does not want in the future to happen. This book also help showed that if the country soon becomes like this and then starts a war it is mostly the strongest versus the weakest and they have no chance. This also will have an effect how long a "perfect" little world will last.

message 8: by Jake (new)

Jake | 8 comments The theme is if you think you can do something but others don't you should go for it and prove them wrong. The author is trying to get you to do something you aren't doing because other people say you can't. The author did this by having Tris become first place in the 2nd and 3rd challenges (Roth 413). Because Tris became first she proved to everyone that she could do it.

message 9: by Jake (new)

Jake | 8 comments Abby wrote: "The authors theme was that if you think you can be something others think you can't go for it. The author was trying to show the readers that it's okay not to be like the others and defy what they ..."

I think Abby is right that the author was trying to tell us that if people are telling you that you can't do something prove them wrong. But also if its something that is wrong don't do it.

message 10: by Shiv (new)

Shiv Patel | 8 comments Jake Wrote: The theme is if you think you can do something but others don't you should go for it and prove them wrong. The author is trying to get you to do something you aren't doing because other people say you can't. The author did this by having Tris become first place in the 2nd and 3rd challenges (Roth 413). Because Tris became first she proved to everyone that she could do it.

I totally agree with Jake the author is trying to push you forward so that you can accomplish whatever you are trying to succeed in.