Divergent 2017 discussion

Chapter 1-9

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma | 6 comments One thing that is unique about the setting is that it takes place in a society isolated from the out side world, and that it doesn't have the same technology as we do (phones, television, i pads, etc.). This enhances the story, because their society is different from ours, and we must find more information within the story. Therefore, in order to find out more information about their society, we have to learn about the people who live there. However, this also takes away from the story, because readers can't relate to the characters like they do in other stories.

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby Thoms | 8 comments A uniqueness from the setting of the story is that it is in this state of mind when people are broken up in to factions based on your actions toward something or your personality. This makes the factions unique by if your smart you will go be educators giving, this makes them have the jobs they what you need to do. "Working together, these five factions have lived in peace for many years, each contributing to a different sector of society." (Roth 43) If the United States was like this today we would then not have people who do procedures wrong being a doctor and have protection from other countries. This would also help us have the strongest out in the field and having nature take its course on the weakest.

message 4: by Brody (new)

Brody Hartwig | 2 comments Erin wrote: "What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?"
A unique thing about the setting is it is taking place in the future times of Chicago. The city is destroyed and everything is different then current times. It enhances the story because there are different groups in the city called factions. All different from each other. Children are born into them but can later change factions. This is different from today because civilization is slowing down and getting smaller and smaller and factions are the only thing trying to keep civilization balanced.

message 5: by Brody (new)

Brody Hartwig | 2 comments Abby wrote: "A uniqueness from the setting of the story is that it is in this state of mind when people are broken up in to factions based on your actions toward something or your personality. This makes the fa..."
What Abby says here is true. The factions determine what your life will be like. Whether its Dauntless the fearless. Or candor which is the honest group and deal with the laws and the act as lawyers. The story then talks about the people who don't fit into any group, the Divergent. This story is much like today's society. Abby is correct when she talks about this story.

message 6: by Shiv (last edited Feb 06, 2017 06:35AM) (new)

Shiv Patel | 8 comments The setting enhances the story by taking place in a remote society, and not having the technology and education as we do in today's society. The people of the Dauntless clan are more skilled than the average people in today's society. "Working together, these five factions have lived in peace for many years, each contributing to a different sector of society." (Roth 43) If the world was like this we would not have people doing manual labor or people inventing things that can become a revolution. This story makes us think of what will happen next. It makes us gather all of the information to figure out what is happening and what will happen next in the story. That is why I think that the setting enhances the story in many ways!!!

message 7: by tylee (new)

tylee | 8 comments one thing that is unique about the plot is that it takes place in a city isolated from the outside world, and that they divide themselves in to groups called factions, according to their personalities. children are born into them, but they can change once they turn 16 at the ceremony, it enhances the plot by having some people not fit in any factions and having to choose, and if people find out they're different they could get in a lot of trouble.

message 8: by tylee (new)

tylee | 8 comments Emma wrote: "One thing that is unique about the setting is that it takes place in a society isolated from the out side world, and that it doesn't have the same technology as we do (phones, television, i pads, e..."

what emma said about people not being able to relate to the characters situation is true, but you could still relate to what they are feeling. she also says that their society is different than ours, and in some ways it is, but there are some similarities, like kids being expected to choose there own futures, but stay with their families, or being put into groups at a young age.

message 9: by Jake (new)

Jake | 8 comments In the story the setting is unique because it is in the future and has these groups known as factions which are separated into 5 different factions. I think this takes away from the story because then the people in certain factions cant learn about the other stuff in life (Roth 47). In the story if you don't get to talk to different people because you are put in a certain group you wont get to learn about everything you want to and they should have the right to learn about what they want to learn about.

message 10: by Jake (new)

Jake | 8 comments shiv said: "taking place in a remote society, and not having the technology and education as we do in today's society. The people of the Dauntless clan are more skilled than the average people in today's society. " I agree with shiv about how, the factions are people separated to make it a peaceful place but if we did that then there wouldn't as much technology and amazing places to go to have fun because some people that want to be in a certain faction might not get to be in that and then they wont be good at the job they have to do or become faction less.

message 11: by Abby (last edited Feb 07, 2017 10:53AM) (new)

Abby Thoms | 8 comments Jake wrote: "In the story the setting is unique because it is in the future and has these groups known as factions which are separated into 5 different factions. I think this takes away from the story because t..."

I agree with your thought about how the setting takes away from the story. I agree because with all the comotion going on you take away from what they are really there for. Since they are so diverse though they need to focus on there mission to succeed in that area. Such as protecting the city.

message 12: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 4 comments I think it is unique because this takes place in the future times of Chicago. Also that the society has five factions amity, abnegation , erudite, candor, and dauntless"Working together, these five factions have lived in peace for many years, each contributing to a different sector of society." (Roth 43).Another thing that is unique is that this society is isolated from the outside world and no one knows whats out there. That is why the story is unique.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma | 6 comments Shiv wrote: "The setting enhances the story by taking place in a remote society and not having the technology and education as we do in todays society..."

I agree that the story is enhanced because the setting takes place in a society isolated from the outside world. I also liked how Shiv used all of RACE.

message 14: by Shiv (new)

Shiv Patel | 8 comments Tylee wrote: one thing that is unique about the plot is that it takes place in a city isolated from the outside world, and that they divide themselves in to groups called factions, according to their personalities. children are born into them, but they can change once they turn 16 at the ceremony, it enhances the plot by having some people not fit in any factions and having to choose, and if people find out they're different they could get in a lot of trouble.

I totally agree with Tylee when she said that the characters are put in the factions according to there personalities. Great job Tylee!!!

message 15: by Ethan (last edited Feb 16, 2017 07:58AM) (new)

Ethan | 4 comments A unique thing about the story is that there society is different from ours they have five factions amity, erudite, abnegation, candor, and dauntless. Another reason why it is unique is because they have a big wall that surrounds the whole city and it isolates them from whatever is beyond those walls. That is why i think that the story is unique.