Uglies 2017 discussion

25 views
Pages 212-319

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What moods has the book created for you so far? Why did you feel that way? Was the author trying to create this mood for you? If so, then how did he/she do it? If not, what made you feel this way?


message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Jessen | 8 comments The book has made me feel a variety of things. I believe the overall mood for the story so far is adventurous. Tally and Shay risk their lives multiple times, and they even risk the chance to become pretty. I feel that they are risk takers, and they are not afraid of anything. For example, at the beginning of the book when Tally takes a risk crashing a pretty parties, she's afraid, but she doesn't let it show. I think the author was trying to create this mood to give Tally and Shay more character.


message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Cannizzaro | 8 comments In the book Uglies the mood is suspenseful. Tally is scared and sad that she has this decision to make. I feel this suspense when reading because there are so many things to go wrong and so many different ending I can see from this book that you don't know what's going to happen next. "Croy's hoverboard jumped into the air, knocking the Special's feet out from under him."(Westerfeld 297) Tally had to decide whether she was going to escape or become a pretty. I defiantly think that the author was trying to create this mood for readers. Making the characters make these life and death decisions.


message 4: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Cannizzaro | 8 comments Elizabeth wrote: "The book has made me feel a variety of things. I believe the overall mood for the story so far is adventurous. Tally and Shay risk their lives multiple times, and they even risk the chance to becom..."
I agree, Shay and Tally are defiantly risk takers. I think that by Shay going to smoke it made her brave. Although Tally escaping the Specials made her very adventurous. If I was in their position I don't know if I could be as brave as they were.


message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Jessen | 8 comments Olivia wrote: "In the book Uglies the mood is suspenseful. Tally is scared and sad that she has this decision to make. I feel this suspense when reading because there are so many things to go wrong and so many di..."
I agree with your thoughts on how you think the mood is suspenseful, because I have also felt this multiple times throughout the book so far. You support this really well when you say how they are constantly in life or death situations. When they are placed in those situations, I also feel very suspenseful because I'm never sure what will happen to them.


message 6: by Jada (new)

Jada Scott (JadaScott) | 5 comments The mood of the book is very mysterious but at the same time it puts me on edge because i wonder if when Tally finds her friend is she really going to turn her in or not. I feel this way because throughout the book you dont know what is going to happen next


message 7: by Jada (new)

Jada Scott (JadaScott) | 5 comments Olivia wrote:In the book Uglies the mood is suspenseful. Tally is scared and sad that she has this decision to make. I feel this suspense when reading because there are so many things to go wrong and so many different ending I can see from this book that you don't know what's going to happen next. "Croy's hoverboard jumped into the air, knocking the Special's feet out from under him."(Westerfeld 297) Tally had to decide whether she was going to escape or become a pretty. I defiantly think that the author was trying to create this mood for readers. Making the characters make these life and death decisions.






You really thought this out and i agree with you


message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison Feigenbaum | 8 comments I think the mood is adventurous. I think it is adventurous because many of the things the characters is risking their lives or risking getting in trouble when they do them. An example from the beginning of the book is when Tally sneaks in the pretty party while she was still an ugly. Another example was when Tally traveled to the Smoke by herself. “Did you know you're the first runaway to come here alone?” (Hinton 245). This creates an adventurous mood because in the history of the Smoke she is the first one to come by herself and that was very dangerous and she risked her life to travel there. I think Tally is one of the most adventurous characters in the book.


message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison Feigenbaum | 8 comments Olivia wrote: "In the book Uglies the mood is suspenseful. Tally is scared and sad that she has this decision to make. I feel this suspense when reading because there are so many things to go wrong and so many di..."

I agree. I think another mood created is suspense, because you never know what is going to happen next. There are so many choices they have to make I can imagine how different the book could be if they had made different ones.


message 10: by Blake (new)

Blake Burczek | 9 comments the book is very suspenseful and keeps you on edge. also the book is very interesting. the ugly and pretties are divide but live in the same world. the mood is suspense and diversity.


message 11: by Nina (new)

Nina | 7 comments The mood of the book is suspenseful and thrilling. It keeps the reader in suspense when Tally goes on adventure to find Shay but when she finds Shay and has to decide if she wants to become pretty or stay with Shay. The adventure there is thrilling with every turn. I feel that the author did a good job of expressing a good mood and gives good examples of that.l


message 12: by Macy (new)

Macy | 8 comments The mood of the book have created me an adventurous mood because they are very daring and always doing dangerous things that could get them hurt very badly. The author is trying to created this mood because he wants you on the edge of your seat. For example "Tally let her bare feet rip, and tumbled down the slope." (Westerfield 296). This part of the book makes you feel worried and scared for Tally's safety.


message 13: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Martin | 7 comments For me, the moods this book has created so far, are adventurous and suspenseful. I feel this way because there are so many ways that Tally could get hurt and there are so many ways she could get in trouble. She is also afraid that she was going to be found as a spy by the other Smokies. Croy says, “Your trip did sound a little bit too… interesting to be true” (Westerfeld 226). The author did try to create this mood because she purposefully made Tally a spy. I think it would be bad to lie but it would also make sure the Smokies didn’t hate you and kick you out. I think Tally would have been really sad if she got sent home. She really liked The Smoke after she was there for awhile.


message 14: by Alexa (last edited Feb 15, 2017 11:55AM) (new)

Alexa Martin | 7 comments Allison wrote: "I think the mood is adventurous. I think it is adventurous because many of the things the characters is risking their lives or risking getting in trouble when they do them. An example from the begi..."

I agree that Tally is one of the more adventurous characters in the book. She traveled to the smoke alone, with only a small note to get her there. She risked her life many times on that trip. Tally has also proven herself a very outgoing character. I do not see that is some other characters.


message 15: by Amia (new)

Amia | 8 comments The book has created all of different moods for me. For the most part the mood was mostly mysterious, because it keeps us on edge, wondering what would happen next. Yes I think that the author wanted me to feel this way. Because if I didn’t i wouldn’t want to keep reading the book, but I do. For example when Tally was at the Smoke I was wondering if she would sell out her friend.


message 16: by Amia (new)

Amia | 8 comments Jada wrote: "The mood of the book is very mysterious but at the same time it puts me on edge because i wonder if when Tally finds her friend is she really going to turn her in or not. I feel this way because th..."

What did you mean by when Tally finds her friend? That already happened so I’m kinda confused on what you mean. Also, How does this make is mysterious.?


message 17: by Avery (last edited Feb 21, 2017 11:37AM) (new)

Avery Hand | 7 comments The book has created a very suspenseful and mysterious mood. They did this by keeping readers on the edge of their seats wanting to know what happens next. I think the author intended for us to feel like this. They wanted this book to be a page-turner, as any author does. They did it by leaving multiple cliff hangers and one twist after another. "Tally popped open the heart pendant, looking down into the little glowing aperture where the laser waited to read her eyeprint. She brought it closer, her hand shaking. It was foolish to wait. This would only get harder. What choice did she have?" (Westerfield 191)


message 18: by Darby (new)

Darby | 3 comments The book has created a mood of adventure, telling the readers of all the places that Tally has visited. Tally has gone on many adventures in the book so far that have made you keep reading on and on. The author was definitely trying to put you an adventurous mood throughout the book making the setting of the Smoke, and all the forest that Tally traveled. The places that Tally went to weren't dull the author made the places dangerous and daring. Just the type of place Tally would want to visit.


message 19: by Mia (new)

Mia Frese | 10 comments The mood in Uglies so far is suspenseful. I think it's suspenseful because there are many obstacles that if not passed through correctly your life could be at risk or changed forever. An example of this is when the fires surrounded Tally and she had to make the immediate decision to retrieve her hoverboard from the flames that were about to reach and engulf her transportation. “She reached level ground and made her way around the base of the hill, crouching low to the ground to duck under the smoke.” (Westerfield 166). I do believe that the author wanted us to feel this way through how he used imagery and how he choose to enhance our senses while Tally was in the fire. Therefore, that is why I think the overall mood is suspenseful.


message 20: by Ella (new)

Ella Wagner | 8 comments There are multiple different examples of mood in the Uglies. There's suspense, like when Tally was kidnapped by the Specials. (Westerfeld 282) There is also adventure, like when Tally and Shay used to sneak out of uglytown so they could see the outside world. I think the author was trying to create both of those moods because they help make the story interesting. Honestly, I wish the story plot was less predictable, although I am still enjoying the story.


message 21: by Mia (new)

Mia Frese | 10 comments Macywhite wrote: "The mood of the book have created me an adventurous mood because they are very daring and always doing dangerous things that could get them hurt very badly. The author is trying to created this moo..."
I agree with you completely. I also think that the mood you have described could also be considered suspenseful. The author was creating the mood by giving off different senses and feelings s you said.


message 22: by Ella (new)

Ella Wagner | 8 comments Mia wrote: "The mood in Uglies so far is suspenseful. I think it's suspenseful because there are many obstacles that if not passed through correctly your life could be at risk or changed forever. An example of..."

I agree that the mood is suspenseful. The author does a pretty good job of describing things in detail so I can paint a pretty good picture of the scenes in my head. That also helps create the suspenseful mood.


message 23: by Blake (new)

Blake Burczek | 9 comments Jada wrote: "The mood of the book is very mysterious but at the same time it puts me on edge because i wonder if when Tally finds her friend is she really going to turn her in or not. I feel this way because th..."
yes this is correct


message 24: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Bouska | 8 comments What moods has the book created for you so far? Why did you feel that way? Was the author trying to create this mood for you? If so, then how did he/she do it? If not, what made you feel this way?

So far that books mood to me is frighting but adventurous.it made me feel this way because of how tally doesn't know what lies ahead of her if she activates that necklace or not or what the specials will do to the Smokies if she does.it all so ads adventure to learn about the lesions in the pretties "the lesions turned up everywhere...almost everyone had them ,and they were always in exactly the same place."yes I think the author was trying to create this mood by have tally go on adventure after adventure and by the specials making her go to the smokies makes it scary for Tally"you ca die ugly for all I care".


message 25: by Macy (new)

Macy | 8 comments Mia wrote: "The mood in Uglies so far is suspenseful. I think it's suspenseful because there are many obstacles that if not passed through correctly your life could be at risk or changed forever. An example of..."

I agree with you of the mood being suspenseful because the author makes great imagery of the situations they are in. He also makes you on the edge of your seat, wanting to know what will happen next.


message 26: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Bouska | 8 comments Darby wrote: "The book has created a mood of adventure, telling the readers of all the places that Tally has visited. Tally has gone on many adventures in the book so far that have made you keep reading on and o..."

i agree with Darby on hoe the book is adventurous because of the travels that Tally takes. the author was defiantly trying to make every second of this book full of adventure .


message 27: by Olivia (last edited Mar 20, 2017 08:31AM) (new)

Olivia Schneider | 4 comments The overall mood of the Uglies is foreboding. In the Uglies when Tally threw the heart necklace in the fire(Westerfeld 267), I knew something bad was going to happen soon. Dystopian novels never stay happy for too long in the middle of the book. I doubt that the author tried to create this mood on purpose. In my opinion the plot was just too predictable, not that it wasn't good. It was just easy to predict what would happen next.


back to top