Play Book Tag discussion

Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
This topic is about Maisie Dobbs
Archives 2016-2017 > Maisie Dobbs / Jacqueline Winspear - 2**

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5476 comments Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear
Maisie Dobbs – Jacqueline Winspear
Book on CD narrated by Rita Barrington
2**

This is the first in a series featuring a former housemaid and Army Nurse. The book begins in 1929, and Maisie Dobbs has opened her own private investigation agency. Her first case is a man who believes his wife is unfaithful. Maisie gets to the truth quickly, but it leads to some painful memories.

I like Maisie and the supporting characters who will, no doubt, make appearances in subsequent books in this cozy mystery series. But this first book spent way too much time in the past, and not nearly enough time on the actual mystery. And I don’t mean the man who suspects his wife; the real mystery doesn’t come up until Chapter 21!

I can see why so many people like the series. The setting, the period, and the characters lend a feeling of the wonderful black-and-white movies of the ‘30s. While I was disappointed in this book – I read mysteries, even cozy mysteries, for the plots – I think I’d be willing to try another because of the characters, setting and period.

Rita Barrington does a very good job voicing the audio version of this book. Her pacing is good and her skill as a voice artist breathes life into Winspear’s characters.

LINK to my review

Ellen | 2032 comments Ouch. This is one of my favorite books. Oh well, we can't all agree all of the time.

message 3: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3759 comments I enjoyed this book! It's been a while since I read it, and don't remember much, but I recalled liking it much more.

Different strokes for different folks!