The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Empty Throne (The Saxon Stories, #8)
This topic is about The Empty Throne
Saxon Stories > TET: Part Two - The Lady of Mercia, 4-7

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Section 2

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Part Two - The Lady of Mercia (4-7)

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later sections/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm really loving this book, but did anyone actually worry when Uhtred was surrounded? I know I didn't. I was just curious to see how he was going to get out of it and what ramifications it might have.

The superstition about the sword is interesting. I wonder if it will have any effect. Uhtred's fake saint is already working miracles, so why not the sword too?

I'm disappointed that Uthred slept with his cousin's mistress. That really unfair to Aetheled (or however you spell her name)

Interesting way he got her in charge of Mercia. I wonder if he'll stick to the Christian thing as his daughter recommended.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I wasn't worried when he was surrounded either. I was more worried about his health because that pus filled wound seems really nasty!!

I wasn't as disappointed as you about him sleeping with his cousin's mistress, because really, he sleeps with everyone - and in fact doesn't he still have that other mistress living with him?

Yes that was pretty tricky with the getting her in charge of Mercia. I went back and read the oath he gave to the AE... guy. (I struggle with the names of our THREE AE characters - they are too similar for me to parse them easily.) Anyway it was a clever oath since he basically nullified the conditions right away.

I can't imagine him sticking with the Christian stuff, but I think his daughter was smart to recommend it.

The middle part of this book was much more enjoyable to me than the middle part of the last book.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

It wasn't that he slept with another woman, just that women in particular. The mistress of her husband? There aren't plenty of other women he could sleep with instead?

I wouldn't get the AE names right if there were only one of them. There have been at least 5, maybe more. This book alone has 4.

Edward's sister, her husband, his niece and his father in law. Edward's mother was an AE as well.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with those names. I often have to read the whole paragraph to figure out which one it is!

Yeah that is a good point about the mistress. That's a little too personal.

Ctgt | 629 comments I think Uhtred might be using the Eadith to distance himself from Aethelflaed now that she will be set up as the ruler of Mercia.
Aethelflaed seems to have picked up some craftiness from Uhtred with her use of the fake standards.

message 7: by Richard (last edited Feb 09, 2017 11:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) An interesting section with a lot of politics, as well as a little action. Yes, it has got to the stage where you know Uhtred will overcome a certain situation. Was nice to see Æthelflæd as her Lady of Mercia.

Personally i a little lucky, as i live in the UK and we studied Alfred the Great at school. OK, that was some years ago now, but the names persisted (due to the archaic spelling). Does get a little bogged down in the narration a little as a couple sound virtually the same.

I like how he was in charge of the land of Mercia for a very brief period (does that fill in one of the prophecies?). Clever wording to get the support needed as well.

I think the next section will be self contained as he hunts for the sword. A little tenuous the reason why, but i suppose people will believe anything at that time. The sword that hurt him could cure him. Not certain what type of injury he has, as i am not a medical person - but sounds like it is infected seriously. Good cleaning would probably cure it. Wonder if that is the reason the author made the relationship with Eadith. She cleans the wound daily to cure Uhtred, but needed a reason for her to be there daily. We shall soon see.

All in all, i em enjoying this book, more than the previous book, but not as much as the earlier books.

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt wrote: "I think Uhtred might be using the Eadith to distance himself from Aethelflaed now that she will be set up as the ruler of Mercia"

Interesting theory.

Ctgt wrote: "Aethelflaed seems to have picked up some craftiness from Uhtred with her use of the fake standards"

I laughed so hard at that part.

message 9: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1175 comments Yeeeeeeey, Aethelflaed is finally Queen of Mercia!

I'm with Rob on the disappointment of Uhtred sleeping with Eadith. Just because she claims she knows where the sword is? C'mon, you don't need to hump her to get that information out of her....