The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Empty Throne (The Saxon Stories, #8)
This topic is about The Empty Throne
Saxon Stories > TET: Part One - Prologue, The Dying Lord, 1-3

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Section 1

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Part One - The Dying Lord (1-3)

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later sections/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Having it start with Uthred, son of Uthred scared me for a bit! It also gave me some insight into how he may be planning on continuing the series.

And it sounds like OUR Uthred is not doing well. But wow, isn't his daughter great!?

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Feb 04, 2017 09:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzanne wrote: "Having it start with Uthred, son of Uthred scared me for a bit! It also gave me some insight into how he may be planning on continuing the series."

That's exactly what I was thinking too.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just finished this section, and I see why you like his daughter. I do hope if he continues the series with his son, his daughter gets POV chapters too.

Already she makes better plans than her father. I loved her comment about hiding her religion and how Uhtred is too loud about it.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Yes! She was clever plus bloodthirsty. I hope to see more of her.

Ctgt | 629 comments Seems as though Uhtred is back to his old self again. I'm enjoying both his son and daughter at this point. Uhtred the son has obviously been training.

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) I must admit, i was a little worried when i started listening to the book. Were we to have everything from a different viewpoint? I see this series as Uthreds story, and do not particually need to it be continued from someone else (write another series if that is required).
However, we soon went back to the Uthred of the series.

Uthred has a serious injury and in pain a lot. In earlier books he stated he was young and foolish and always ready for a fight - could this be the cause of him becoming more wise? Only time will tell.

Liked Stiorra. A strong character in my opinion which could lead to some interesting stories.

message 8: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat | 1175 comments Uhtred, son of Uhtred beginning this story and then getting all the family relations wrong confused the hell out of me until I realised it's the son who's talking. And then I was really worried it would go on in that fashion, but thank god it didn't.

Throughout the episode of the Witan in Gleawecestre our Uhtred was pretending to be dying, but he leaves us in no doubt that he is poorly. I wonder how much fighting he will manage in this installment, or if the POV will change to Uhtred the Younger for that.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I was thrown off by the POV swap at the first too!

And yes OUR Uhtred seems poorly for sure.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was kind of thinking he pulled a Jack Ryan Jr.