The Not-So-Hypothetical Victorian Literature Course #VicLit discussion

General discussions > Question (or two) regarding the group

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike (literallyliterary) | 6 comments So I see Katie posted up the video about the group and her video for Great Expectations/Jane Eyre will be up in mid March. So, does that mean we should get started on the reading now? Should we have read them by mid March?

Also, is there going to be any kind of reading schedule? Say...have this much of the book done by this date and this much by this date so we're all kind of in the same place for discussions? Or is it just a big free for all where we make sure we've read it by the video date?

message 2: by Kira Zoe (last edited Jan 31, 2017 10:38AM) (new)

Kira Zoe | 8 comments I'd say, depending on your reading speed (and keeping in mind the, let's call it, above average size of most victorian novels) it's probably sensible to start a bit in advance.
And although I don't think there should be a reading schedule for the entire group, maybe it's a nice idea to make one for specific discussion threads? Or just have a thread where people can find others that want to read the novels in the same space of time and let them agree on reading 'deadlines'?

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike (literallyliterary) | 6 comments Yeah, I don't know how realistic a reading schedule is. But I do like the idea of threads for specific topics or parts of a book. There's just the pesky problem of spoilers. You just never know where people are or how many will be able to take part in discussions if you're a quicker reader.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Snyder | 3 comments Hi Mike,

I didn't see a video posted. Where did you find it? I joined the group today, so I might have just missed it. Thanks!

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike (literallyliterary) | 6 comments The video was posted on her YouTube channel earlier today. Just look up books and things and you should be able to find it.

message 6: by Lara (new)

Lara (lara_s) Although I have Great Expectations on my TBR still, I already know the plot from so many adaptations for movies and series. Each post should be marked as spoiler free or not, so people can make their choice in reading the discussion (or watching the videos) :)
I don't think I'll discuss something I didn't actually read, but I don't mind following along :)

message 7: by Tammi (new)

Tammi | 4 comments I'm starting Jane Eyre tonight. Will get into Great Expectations when I'm midway into reading. Here is Katie's vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2UDM...

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather Snyder | 3 comments Thanks Mike and Tammi!

message 9: by Tammi (new)

Tammi | 4 comments You're welcome.

message 10: by Lemonpop (new)

Lemonpop | 1 comments I also started Jane Eyre yesterday. I was lucky enough to have a copy, but order Great Expectations, which I didn't mind since was already on my list. I think read schedule should be base for the individual, and I can use all the time I can get. Talking about specific topics would work out, but maybe know what themes a head of time, so the reading can be a bit more focus as well as the discussion.

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie Lumsden (katie-booksandthings) | 28 comments Mod
Hey all!

Yep, my video on Great Expectations and Jane Eyre (as an introduction, with no theme) will be up in the middle of March.

I have no reading schedule in place. I won’t be hosting formal readalongs for this – there are just too many books and I’m not sure it’s practical. Personally I’ll be rereading both books for each video at the same time, for comparison, and will read them rapidly as I know them quite well, which I know won’t suit everyone. However, I’m all for encouraging buddy-reading amongst the group, and I’ve read all the books before so everyone is more than welcome to chat to me about them. My videos will be half spoiler-free and half spoilery, so that people can still watch half of them without reading the books. However, if you are going to read the books, you may as well read them before the video and start now!

I’ll be setting up discussion boards on this group soon for the March and May topics/books – what I may do is have a ‘spoiler-free’ board and a ‘spoiler’ board for each book/pair of books, so that people who are in the middle of a book can discuss initial thoughts without being spoiled and people who have finished can discuss what they think overall. Would people prefer these for each book or for each pair of books? I want to make comparison one of the key points here, but maybe that needs a separate board?

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Varney I think it would be difficult for us to discuss a book without risking spoilers for people who have not finished reading it. You would need a series of boards: 10% complete, 20% complete, etc.

Perhaps you could have a Jane Eyre discussion board, a Great Expectations discussion board, and a Jane Eyre / Great Expectations comparison board.

I would not want to read discussions about a book I had not read.

message 13: by Lara (new)

Lara Croft | 2 comments Yes, I think we should have separate discussion boards for each book.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Hi ElleonAir. It's two books every two months (the first video went up in March, the second will go up in May). I appreciate that's not feasible for everyone - that's why the first half at least of every video is spoiler-free, so you can still "take the course" as it were without reading the books.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Varney What are the books in your next lecture? Do you think you will keep up these GoodReads discussion threads?

message 16: by Katie (new)

Kevin wrote: "What are the books in your next lecture? Do you think you will keep up these GoodReads discussion threads?"

Hi Kevin. The next lecture will be on 'the city' within The Nether World by George Gissing and Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell. I'll create Goodreads discussion boards if people want to chat about the books.

message 17: by Mike (new)

Mike (literallyliterary) | 6 comments I'm not even sure if this is possible, but I think it'd be cool for you to do one of your lectures via live stream and everyone could participate in the chat and whatnot. it might be a challenge, with all the different time zones and whatnot, but something to noodle with.