Books of Literature by Nobel Prize Winning Authors: 2020 Challenge discussion

Picnic at Hanging Rock > week 4: chapters 13-end

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (last edited Jan 31, 2017 10:11AM) (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments 1. What do you think of Dora Lumley and her brother, Reg?
2. Does Mrs. Appleyard seem to be dealing with the events started on Feb 14th, or is she too effected by them? In what way?
3. Why is Albert having bad dreams as well as Mike? Who is Albert's sister?
4. The ripple effects of the tragedy has some positive influence as shown in chapter 14. For whom?
5. What fear does Mademoiselle Poitiers have for one of the pupils?
6. In chapter 15, the author describes Mrs. Appleyard as 'an old woman with head bowed under a forest of curling pins, with pendulous breasts and aging stomach.' Do you think the author describes her as such to gain our sympathy? Do you think the facade of being in control is slipping?
7. What do you think happened to Sara?
8. Why do you think Mrs. Appleyard takes her own life?
9. What do you think happened to the girls and the Miss McCraw on that fateful Valentine's Day? What does the watches stopping have if anything to do with it?
10. The author believed in a 'primitive force' around the Rock. The story is indeed filled with preternatural events and descriptions. How would you categorise this novel? Gothic mystery?
11. This is the link to the film made of the book. How does it compare to the novel?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...
12. At the beginning I asked the question as to whether this book should be regarded as a major Australian novel. What do you think?
13. What other books by Australian authors have you read?

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I finished the book, and found parts of it very disturbing- not my usual type of book.

message 3: by Rosemarie (last edited Feb 17, 2017 02:02PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I have read books by Henry Handel Richardson and Patrick White.

I don't consider this a major Australian novel, compared to the other two novels I have read. Voss and Fortunes of Richard Mahony. I enjoyed those two.

I found this book creepy, and not in a good way. The characters were not fleshed out, and I generally enjoyed the book less and less as I was reading it.

Two books by Australian authors that I highly recommend are Rabbit-Proof Fence: The True Story of One of the Greatest Escapes of All Time and The Road from Coorain.

For a change of pace, Arthur Upfield wrote a whole series of mysteries set in the Australian outback in the mid 20th century. I have read most of them.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have read books by Henry Handel Richardson and Patrick White.

I don't consider this a major Australian novel, compared to the other two novels I have read. [book:..."

Thanks for the recommendations. I think the only books by an Australian author are those by Kate Morton and some children's books.
I think this book had a lot of potential but the author viewed the whole mystery as something outside of time.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) | 0 comments Amazon Prime I believe is showing a production of Picnic at Hanging Rock.

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments The photography in the film is amazing. I enjoyed the movie more than the book in this case.

message 7: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) | 0 comments I believe the Amazon production is a new 2018 one. I still haven't seen the original film.

message 8: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I wonder how they will compare?

message 9: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Amazon Prime is different for different countries and it appears that they do not have it as yet on the Canadian site. I will look out for it and post if it comes available.