The Challenge Factory discussion

Four: A Divergent Story Collection (Divergent, #0.1-0.4)
This topic is about Four
2017 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Tura, Erin & Trea - Four: A Divergent Story Collection

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5585 comments Mod
Tura, Erin & Trea - Four: A Divergent Story Collection

Erin | 316 comments I've already got my copy from the library, and they still have multiple copies available so renewing shouldn't be an issue. I can read it anytime.
When/how quickly do you both want to read this one? I think I'd be ok with 1 story per day, but I don't know if I could handle more than that...

message 3: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "I've already got my copy from the library, and they still have multiple copies available so renewing shouldn't be an issue. I can read it anytime.
When/how quickly do you both want to read this one? I think I'd be ok with 1 story per day, but I don't know if I could handle more than that..."

One story a day works for me. I have a Galley to review before the 14th, and an author readalong starting on the 20th, but with reading these one a day, I can work around those. We can even start tomorrow if everyone would like. I already own the hardcover and e-books of this.

Erin | 316 comments I'm ok with starting tomorrow if Tura is...

Erin | 316 comments I just sent Tura a message with a link to this thread in case she wasn't aware it was put up or couldn't find it...

message 6: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

Erin wrote: "I just sent Tura a message with a link to this thread in case she wasn't aware it was put up or couldn't find it..."

Sounds like a plan, and one I should have thought of! Thanks for taking the initiative on it!

message 7: by Wolf (Alpha) (last edited Feb 04, 2017 08:18PM) (new)

Wolf (Alpha) | 143 comments Okay! I'm ready. Sorry, didn't see the message.

message 8: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

Well, I'm now in the middle of two books, and can't start just yet. I'll try to get a book finished today and start this one this evening.

Erin | 316 comments I probably won't be able to start this today since it's Super Bowl Sunday, but I can start tomorrow.

message 10: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

Tomorrow works for me!

message 11: by Wolf (Alpha) (new)

Wolf (Alpha) | 143 comments I can start today.

message 12: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 316 comments Just finished The Transfer. A decent story overall...

It's been a couple years since I read the original series, so the events aren't particularly fresh in my mind. I'm wishing I remembered more so I could better gauge how accurately these stories relate to the originals. Though I am pretty proud of myself for remembering Tobias's four fears!

I'm assuming Tura has not read the original series yet as she was looking for a buddy to read them with, so I will use spoilers when referring to that series so I don't ruin it for her. Don't read my spoilers, Tura!

Even though it's not important, it bothers me that I can't remember (view spoiler)

I may have to go hunting for some overviews to refresh my memory...

message 13: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

Erin wrote: "Just finished The Transfer. A decent story overall...

It's been a couple years since I read the original series, so the events aren't particularly fresh in my mind. I'm wishing I remembered more s..."

Erin, re: your memory holes (view spoiler)

message 14: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

Well, I read through The Transfer last night. I'd read it before, so this was a re-read for me. My heart still hurt for Tobias though! And him being only 2 years older than Tris...I don't think I knew that when reading the series.

message 15: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 316 comments I did remember that Tobias's father was the leader of Abnegation, I just couldn't recall how he was involved in everything that played out in the story.

And I did find overviews for the original books, but reading them just reminded me how little I remember (as did The Initiate and The Son, which I have also finished now). I really need to reread this series sometime!

It's definitely interesting to get so much background on Tobias, though I'm feeling pretty frustrated that I recognize so many names from the series but can't remember any details about them.
:-P

message 16: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

I finished The Initiate and The Son as well, and while I liked seeing all the background on Tobias, some of it was really disconcerting, like how (view spoiler).

message 17: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 316 comments I wondered if there would be any discrepancies but don't remember the series well enough to identify them... I honestly cannot remember how (view spoiler)

I've gone a bit ahead and started The Traitor. (view spoiler)

It looks like this book doesn't go beyond where Divergent ends so I'm guessing I could get away with just rereading that one to see how this relates. I might try to squeeze that in when I finish this one :-P

message 18: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 316 comments Have either of you seen the movie for Divergent? The tattoo Four gets on his back is not depicted in the movie the way I picture it based on the description from this book. The book makes it sound like the symbols are more integrated, not isolated in their own individual circles. It definitely sounds much cooler in the book to me!

message 19: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

Erin wrote: "Have either of you seen the movie for Divergent? The tattoo Four gets on his back is not depicted in the movie the way I picture it based on the description from this book. The book makes it sound ..."

I've seen the movie and I totally agree with you!

message 20: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 316 comments Ok. Wow!!! I just finished chapter 28 in Divergent and...

Though I did not recall (view spoiler)

I honestly did not detect any discrepancies between any of these stories and Divergent. It's amazing what you can forget after just a couple years.

I'm now going to update my review and give this 4 stars instead of 3 because it was really interesting to get a peak at Four's life apart from Tris.

I actually partially reread The Traitor as it followed along the story line with Divergent, and I was amazed at the quantity of dialogue that was, in fact, taken verbatim from the original book.

I now think this is an awesome companion piece.