Pop Sugar's Annual Ultimate Reading Challenge discussion

List brainstorming > A book with an unreliable narrator - 2017 list

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dotsie (new)

Dotsie Row | 7 comments A book with an unreliable narrator
I am a bit stumped on this category. What is your interpretation of this? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (scottishgirl) | 7 comments There IS actually a list on Goodreads with suggestions on that topic. I chose Mol Flanders but I wasn't in love.

message 3: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (ttrivium) | 46 comments If you haven't already, can I suggest you give HP Lovecraft a try? He writes the most classic of classic horror and nearly all of his narrators are certifiable. Or they are by the end of the story...

One of my favorites of his would be Herbert West: Reanimator. The narrator is definitely unreliable to the point where I was begging him to wake up and look at the reality that was around him.

If horror isn't your thing, you could try Fight Club. Or other Palahniulk books. He likes this trope.

Or if that's not your thing...The Silver Linings Playbook is on the kind-of romantic end of the scale. I personally didn't like Silver Linings Playbook, but it's popular so your mileage may vary.

Man, I really love this genre...

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 2 comments For me, the classic unreliable (or untrustworthy) narrator is The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie and if you haven't read Agatha Christie, this is the book that made her famous. In addition to the Goodreads list, I liked Gentlemen & Players by Joanne Harris. I'm not sure everyone would agree that it has an "unreliable" narrator, but the narrator is less than truthful so I would count it.

message 5: by Meg (new)

Meg (meginfrance) | 24 comments Another option....Gone Girl. Most likely you've read it, but if you haven't....enjoy.

message 6: by Dotsie (new)

Dotsie Row | 7 comments Thanks, everybody, You have broadened my mind as to the definition of this category. Very good ideas. I have read several of your suggestions and was not really thinking of them in this way.

message 7: by Sarabeth (new)

Sarabeth Mason | 29 comments Deborah wrote: "There IS actually a list on Goodreads with suggestions on that topic. I chose Mol Flanders but I wasn't in love."

what is the list called ?

message 8: by Dotsie (new)

Dotsie Row | 7 comments I went to Browse, then Lists, then searched for Unreliable Narrator and voila!
Thank you, Deborah, for introducing me to that feature. I had not found Lists before. Check it out, Sarabeth.

message 9: by Sarabeth (new)

Sarabeth Mason | 29 comments Dotsie wrote: "I went to Browse, then Lists, then searched for Unreliable Narrator and voila!
Thank you, Deborah, for introducing me to that feature. I had not found Lists before. Check it out, Sarabeth."

thank I will :)

message 10: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) I think Dark Places might fall onto this category.

message 11: by Dotsie (new)

Dotsie Row | 7 comments Yes, Vanessa. Probably anything by Gillian Flynn fits into this category.

message 12: by Christina (last edited Feb 05, 2017 04:59PM) (new)

Christina Webb (msbeefcake) | 32 comments Fight Club was an interesting book I have read it previously. and the narrator definitely qualifies. I also read Gone Girl which was similar to the movie, if you saw it, but of course way better. Also very good. Both I recommend and both definitely qualify!

message 13: by Dotsie (new)

Dotsie Row | 7 comments Thanks, Christina

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1 comments Girl on a Train fits into this category too (

message 15: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Hughes | 1 comments The narrator is supposed to be the reader's objective looking glass; the narrator is in all classical senses not to lie, cheat, or skew/lead the reader astray... enter the unreliable narrator!

I just chose The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner for this catagory. It tested my patience and comprehension for about the first 25 pages, until I could start to follow style and sort out characters, but I can't put it down now!

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Bryant I picked The Lightkeepers by Abby Gent for this category, and it was *so* worth it. Even when I thought I knew exactly what was happening, I still wasn't completely sure. Hitchcock style suspense.