Phantom of the Opera discussion

The Phantom of the Opera Inktober 2016 Sketchbook (Mili Fay Art Sketchbook 1)
Self Promotion > Do you think that The Phantom of the Opera would be great as an animated feature film of Disney quality, with ALW music, and Leroux's opulence?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mili Fay | 10 comments I am so happy to have found a Phantom group on Goodreads. I feel like I am not alone with my obsession.

My ultimate artistic goal is to produce a classically animated feature film combining the book and the musical. For Inktober 2016, I've sketched some of these ideas and have bound them into a book.

You are all invited to The Phantom of the Opera Inktober 2016 Sketchbook Launch Party! If you are a Phantom fan you do not want to miss this event. If you know someone else who may be interested, share the info.

On February 4th, 2017, between 10am - 8pm EST you can expect:

-- Free Art
-- 10 chances to win the featured Sketchbook with The Phantom of the Opera Trivia Game
-- Live Sketching – 8 chances to make your own sketching request
-- Amazon 50% Off Discount
-- Answer to: How can I make my own Kindle Sketchbook for sale?
-- I sing something from The Phantom of the Opera Musical
-- Q&A
-- Special Requests

Note: You do not have to be glued to your computer or phone, the important times to check in are at the top of the hour and 15 minutes after.

For details:

http://artofmili.ca/blog/

Mark your calendars and have a phantastc week!

message 2: by Isobel (new)

Isobel (IzzyRose96) | 4 comments There are already a few animated Phantom movies out there.
A TV movie by Emerald City Productions from 1988, an Anime one, and more recently a Leroux faithful which you can watch the trailer for here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O36qH...

Mili Fay | 10 comments Isobel wrote: "There are already a few animated Phantom movies out there.
A TV movie by Emerald City Productions from 1988, an Anime one, and more recently a Leroux faithful which you can watch the trailer for he..."

Wow, thanks for this. I did not know of this one, but I did see the other. The animation quality is poor, though, and there is currently not one with ALW music.

I would love to create something that was of Disney's Sleeping Beauty quality, with ALW music, and Gaston Leroux's opulence.

Recently having read "The Phantom of the Opera" again, I do not like the character as much. I cannot get over all the murders. In this sense I prefer the Musical's Phantom. I see him as a trapped genius, who only kills to defend himself.

I also think the corps who smells of death is a bit too revolting for a romantic figure, so I'll stick with the damaged Musical version there, too.

I also want to make sure to show that the reason Christine chooses Raoul in the end is because they have loved each other as kids, and that love never died, while for most of her life Christine saw Phntom as her father, angel, teacher, or friend -- not as a man.

I feel that Phantom is infatuated with Christine, because of her beauty and her voice, but that she is not a partner for him. When he meets his equal, then Phantom will discover true love.

In conclusion, there are many versions of Phantom, but only one is mine.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gattos | 13 comments Welcome to the group, Mili!

While there have been a few animated adaptations, there is definitely room for improvement, and your drawing style is beautiful!

I respect your desire to make the Phantom less monstrous, especially because in my opinion, Erik was originally made monstrous because he's a somewhat feminist figure in that he wants Christine to have a career. I mean, he holds her career above of everything and represents a path of fulfillment through music/a personal purpose, instead of through love and marriage. While I like the gothic spectacle that comes from him being monstrous, I'm completely on board with making him more of a man.

message 5: by Celina (new)

Celina | 8 comments Lauren wrote: "Welcome to the group, Mili!

While there have been a few animated adaptations, there is definitely room for improvement, and your drawing style is beautiful!

I respect your desire to make the Phan..."

Ooh, interesting thoughts. I never particularly thought of the Phantom as a feminist figure, or at least, I think the way he represents a "musical" or "personal" purpose for Christine should not be the only criteria for making him more feminist. Keep in mind that he still wants to marry Christine and carry on a fairly domestic life (in a little house with walks on Sundays). I think it's also implied that he mainly promotes Christine's career as a way of showing *himself* to be a normal figure, because he wants to show the benefits of *his* training. So is it really feminist if he wants to do all these things to benefit himself?

Plus, there's the whole hypnosis, kidnapping, and forcing her to marry him thing, all of which are attempts to control Christine and strip her of agency - not really feminist ideals, even if the Phantom has understandable motives. It's almost ironic, but Raoul can be argued to be more of a feminist choice, in that he is at least someone Christine chooses of her own free will. The ideal, though, would probably be if Christine ditched both men and focused solely on her career!

But it's always cool to discuss feminism in Phantom, particularly because Leroux was a proto-feminist himself. I think it's why the book's Christine comes off a little stronger than ALW and co.'s Christine.

As for the animated feature - there's always room for more animated Phantom films, but the difficulty might lie in using ALW's music. Unlike Leroux's book, which is in the public domain, the musical is copyrighted, so you'll probably have to negotiate or buy the right to use it. And then you'll have to decide whether to use actual singers or to just use a cast recording, etc. Of course, you can just use the music without permission, but you won't be able to make money off the film, at least not without being sued. Just something to think about!

Mili Fay | 10 comments Lauren wrote: "Welcome to the group, Mili!

I respect your desire to make the Phan..."

Thanks, Lauren.

What an interesting POV. However, didn't Erik want to marry her himself? By the end of the book he wanted her, because he wanted to have an ordinary home life like everyone else.

I also did not like that he did not considered her feelings but just his own, when he made his decisions. The book Erik seems too selfish and cruel.

Mili Fay | 10 comments Celina wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Welcome to the group, Mili!

I respect your desire t..."

Hi Celina!

Of course I would do everything legally. For now, the whole idea is just a dream. The first step is to accumulate a pile of money, then maybe see if I can partner up with Disney or another studio, then approach ALW. If the story is beautifully presented, as an artist himself I do not think he will object to further promotion of his brilliant work.

Speaking of feminism, I was surprised at the strength of Christine's character in the book. I suppose I have an inborn prejudice about men of that century, so it was nice to see that a man of that time wrote such a noble strong woman.

I felt Raoul was too childish, but Christine was well-rounded and mature, if innocent and gullible.

I remembered how much I liked the book as a teen, but now I see more flaws in the characters than I did before.

Mili Fay | 10 comments The Phantom of the Opera Inktober 2016 Sketchbook

The Launch Event was very fun. It is past now, but I like the idea of an animated Phantom of the opera. Should I move the question into the discussion field?

If you'd like to see the artwork and event live sketches, you can find them here .

Thank you to everyone for showing up, and congratulations to the winners.