Proud Readers of Great Stories discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
February Two Week Read > The Maze Runner Week 1: Chapters 1 - 31

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Letitgo (new)

Letitgo | 62 comments Mod
Next Book. Yay!

message 2: by John (new)

John Winston (johndarrylwinston) | 100 comments Mod
Yes, new, and after the first few chapters, I have absolutely no idea what's going on. But neither does Thomas, and I'm okay with that. :-)

message 3: by Letitgo (new)

Letitgo | 62 comments Mod
About halfway done. Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? What's the purpose of the maze, and what's the purpose of the girl? Thoughts?

message 4: by Juanita (new)

Juanita Story | 7 comments Letitgo wrote: "About halfway done. Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? What's the purpose of the maze, and what's the purpose of the girl? Thoughts?"

Not sure but I doing the reverse, reading the book after seeing the movie. I'm about halfway. The book is way different, and I'm not sure what's going on.

message 5: by Miquan (new)

Miquan Terry | 2 comments I voted for this one, and so far I'm not disappointed. But I have no idea what's going on either. Hehe!

message 6: by John (last edited Feb 05, 2017 04:08AM) (new)

The writing's okay. I'm intrigued. But nobody knows what's going on. The other boys in the maze won't even let on to what they know, and I'm more than halfway through the book. So yeah, still in the dark for the most part. Keep reading.

message 7: by k.wing (new)

k.wing (krismoon) | 3 comments Just finished the book today.

Spoiler-free thoughts: overall, I found the book just okay. Did the cutesie cussing bother anyone else? I found I was *really* bothered by the fact none of the boys will tell Thomas anything. Everyone seems mean for no reason. I'm not sure why I had a stronger reaction to that.

I wish the boys had some variation in terms of voice. All of the Gladers sound alike.

The last third of the book kept me interested, though. It makes me wonder if I will continue the series based on the last few chapters, or if I'd just be as satisfied reading the summaries of each of the next books.

message 8: by Armani (new)

Armani Porterfield | 9 comments Meh!

message 9: by Taryn (new)

Taryn Rydell | 94 comments Mod
Okay, I finished half the book and have no idea what's going on, lol. That's okay. I'm all for a blazing second half. What's the deal with this girl, anybody?

message 10: by John (new)

Yeah, I think that's the author's purpose to keep the readers in the dark and it feels a bit contrived. It seems like a good idea, but I'm not sure Dashner's pulling it off.

message 11: by John (new)

k.wing wrote: "Just finished the book today.

Spoiler-free thoughts: overall, I found the book just okay. Did the cutesie cussing bother anyone else? I found I was *really* bothered by the fact none of the boys ..."

Yes, it bothered me, too, K.wing. It just doesn't work for me in a dystopian. Doesn't seem necessary. And it also doesn't make sense that the boys are withholding information from Thomas. It feels more like they're withholding information from the reader.

message 12: by Eivette (new)

Eivette Martinez | 11 comments It's okay, but I must admit, I thought it would be better.

message 13: by Marcell (new)

Marcell Johnson | 5 comments Finished the first half. Now I'm looking for some answers. This is totally different then the film.

message 14: by John (new)

I will say that I like the multi-cultural aspect of the book, though Although Alby's role seems more token than an actual leadership on the part of Dashner.

message 15: by k.wing (new)

k.wing (krismoon) | 3 comments John wrote: "k.wing wrote: "Just finished the book today.

Spoiler-free thoughts: overall, I found the book just okay. Did the cutesie cussing bother anyone else? I found I was *really* bothered by the fact no..."

Totally agree, John. A bit to contrived for me.

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna | 20 comments Finished this morning ... returning to The Count.

message 17: by Taryn (new)

Anna wrote: "Finished this morning ... returning to The Count."

Well, Anna, what say you about the Gladers, at the least the first half?

message 18: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Burton | 10 comments I like it so far. I must have missed that this was a movie too. It'll be interesting to watch it after the group read. Doesn't anyone know who this girl might be?

message 19: by Christian (new)

Christian Turner | 4 comments Newt is the best character and obviously the real leader but nobody's talking about anything.

message 20: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (jebarton) | 14 comments I didn't start this until two days ago, which is my fault for not checking what order we were reading the books this month sooner! (I've had the Maze Runner loaded on my tablet since last year, so this is the perfect motivation to finally read it.)

I've just started chapter 18, and I'm still not sure how I'm feeling about it. I don't mind Thomas' questioning, because that seems natural. It seems like the other characters go overboard in avoiding answering even the least thing, which is probably what John means in that Dashner's making the 'mystery' seem contrived. It also seems a bit contrived, how he's thrusting Thomas immediately into the 'special hero' role. It's not bad or boring, it's just not standing out to me yet.

(I'm not a big fan of the slang, either.)

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna | 20 comments Taryn wrote: "Anna wrote: "Finished this morning ... returning to The Count."

Well, Anna, what say you about the Gladers, at the least the first
half?"

Well, Taryn, first impressions ... they are surprisingly organized and willing to do their respective jobs. I does seem hard to believe that none of them are more curious about why they are there, why they have to battle the Grievers, etc. And it makes no sense to me that they are surprised that a newbie is asking questions.
What are your thoughts?

message 22: by Taryn (new)

Janelle wrote: "I didn't start this until two days ago, which is my fault for not checking what order we were reading the books this month sooner! (I've had the Maze Runner loaded on my tablet since last year, so ..."

Agreed, Janelle. The read is good enough, but all the mystery seems unnecessary and as you and John pointed out, a bit contrived. Add to that they introduce a girl (a pretty girl which also feels contrived) and straightaway put her in a coma which muddies the water even more.

message 23: by Taryn (last edited Feb 10, 2017 09:21AM) (new)

Anna wrote: "Taryn wrote: "Anna wrote: "Finished this morning ... returning to The Count."

Well, Anna, what say you about the Gladers, at the least the first
half?"

Well, Taryn, first impressions ... they ar..."

You said it all for me, Anna. There's absolutely no reason the other Gladers should be surprised by Thomas' questions. They hear them every time a new boy is introduced to the mix, and the haven't been there long enough to forget they had the same questions, more or less, when they arrived.

message 24: by Taryn (new)

Great discussion, Proud Readers. Keep it coming. Right now I'm kind of iffy about The Maze Runner, and as successful as it is, I'm a bit surprised. I'm hoping for a better second half.

message 25: by Marquette (new)

Marquette | 3 comments Lol, I was digging the book until I jumped in the discussion. It does feel a little made up with all the blatant secrets.

message 26: by Miquan (last edited Feb 10, 2017 03:25PM) (new)

Miquan Terry | 2 comments I like it because it's a boy story, but the slang is annoying. The griever also isn't described as scary as the boys make it out to be.

message 27: by John (new)

I think I'm liking the discussion better than the novel. Maybe the big reveal, in the end, will be worth the darkness we've had to endure along with the Thomas for the first half of the book. I agree with Janelle about the instahero, too. All too much too quickly.

message 28: by John (last edited Feb 10, 2017 07:46PM) (new)

Janelle wrote: "I didn't start this until two days ago, which is my fault for not checking what order we were reading the books this month sooner! (I've had the Maze Runner loaded on my tablet since last year, so ..."

Good observation on the instahero role, Janelle, a little too quick.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.