Play Book Tag discussion

The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1)
This topic is about The Three-Body Problem
January 2017: Foreign Literature > The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu - 3.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1870 comments The Three Body Problem goes back and forth in time, following two main characters. The first focuses on Ye Wenjie, a woman who is so repelled by humanity after her family's experiences during the Cultural Revolution that she infiltrates a government program meant to make contact with aliens and attempts to encourage extraterrestrials to invade Earth. The second character is Wang Miao, a nano-scientist who is asked by a multinational military-police task force to infiltrate a club for other scientists. This takes place in the near future and involves a virtual reality game called Three Body. He becomes increasingly obsessed with it. The game follows the rise and fall of a civilization called Trisolaris.

This is undoubtedly a brilliant book, and has won numerous Science Fiction awards, including the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2015. I'm not a huge fan of hard science fiction, so that combined with the fact that the book is translated from Chinese, made this a difficult read for me. It is the first book in a trilogy called Remembrance of Earth's Past. I can recommend it to fans of science fiction for it's originality and glowing reviews from science fiction enthusiasts.

message 2: by Flo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 145 comments I think I gave it a similar rating cause I also had trouble following the science at times, but it was still quite interesting to read. I'm probably going to read the next book in the series at some point!