On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Group Reads: Pre-1980 > Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Initial discussion - February 2017

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3785 comments Mod
Let's start our discussion of this classic novel.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina  | 480 comments This one is a slow read for me. I'm not sure why, may be the dialect, but I'm not really enrolled in this book. Anyone else having this problem? #stuckonpage110

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 590 comments I remember liking The Adventures of Tom Sawyer more, read Huck twice and it was always more work.

message 4: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

The dialect is difficult in this book, and slows the pace down considerably. Maybe that's what Twain intended. I remember when my daughter had to read this in high school, she just could not get through it, and ended up throwing the book against the wall in frustration. I finally got the audio book from the library for her, and she sailed through it.

message 5: by Franky (new)

Franky | 312 comments There are some great audio recordings out there. I recommend those if the dialect is an issue.

Huck Finn has to be one of my favorite books. I've read it countless times, and it really illustrates Twain's humor and wit, but also his ability to see key issues.

Kim, I was sort of the opposite, I loved Huck Finn, but didn't care for Tom Sawyer very much. I guess Tom sort of struck me as a punk...lol.

message 6: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Laura | 1862 comments Mod
Noted, going for the audio. Thanks y'all!

message 7: by Rebbie (last edited Jan 31, 2017 09:22PM) (new)

Rebbie (rebbie33) | 12 comments Count me in as a lover of Tom Sawyer over Huckleberry Finn. However, it's been years since I've read either and since we're reading Huck I might change my mind. :) p.s., I didn't realize we were reading this one, I've only seen the other 2 on the top of my page. I really need to figure out the layout here. :p

message 8: by Camie (new)

Camie | 99 comments It's easier to see the months reads ( and pictures of them under groups on the Goodreads.com site .

message 9: by Camie (new)

Camie | 99 comments Above comment to Rebbie :-)

message 10: by Franky (last edited Jan 31, 2017 09:58PM) (new)

Franky | 312 comments On a level of depth, I found Huckleberry Finn so superior to Tom Sawyer. Tom Sawyer seems to be just a series of episodes or short stories that relate to the character, whereas Huck Finn looks at serious issue and Huck must ponder and think about them. Twain has to be one of the most engaging writers I have come across. We have Huck's conflicted nature and the idea of slavery and what Huck should do. There is the nature of ethics when Huck must make several key decisions in the novel.

message 11: by Rebbie (new)

Rebbie (rebbie33) | 12 comments Camie wrote: "It's easier to see the months reads ( and pictures of them under groups on the Goodreads.com site ."

I had no idea. Thank you! :)

message 12: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 393 comments I enjoyed Huckleberry Finn more than Tom Sawyer. It's humorous, an adventure story, and also explores some serious issues about prejudice.

message 13: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I always thought Tom Sawyer was more of a children's book; enjoyable, but not a "thinker" like Huckleberry Finn.

message 14: by Howard (last edited Feb 01, 2017 06:11AM) (new)

Howard | 375 comments Diane wrote: "I always thought Tom Sawyer was more of a children's book; enjoyable, but not a "thinker" like Huckleberry Finn."

I agree, Diane. I have read both many times beginning at a young age. When I was younger I preferred Tom, but later I realized that Huckleberry had much more to say and that he was saying things that I did not really understand when I was younger.

P.S. ~ There is an audio version of the book on You Tube. One way to get around the dialect issue might be to listen and read along at the same time.

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 363 comments I listened to the audiobooks for both these classic coming-of-age novels. I give the edge to Huck Finn (5*****).

message 16: by Rebbie (new)

Rebbie (rebbie33) | 12 comments Ok, I'm now officially re-reading Huck Finn! It's been so long since I read it that I'm feeling a bit nostalgic and sentimental. :p

message 17: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Re-reading is always fun....and surprising! It's amazing what a few years can do to your perception of a book.

message 18: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Laura | 1862 comments Mod
Thank you all for the audio recommendation. I really enjoyed this first time read for me. Very easy to follow the audio. It was fun and interesting both.