LDS Ladies Book Club discussion

Lemon Tart (A Culinary Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Lemon Tart
2017 Books of the Month > Feb '17 - Lemon Tart Ch 25-39 Questions

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

SamZ (samwisezbrown) Once you have read the selection, come over and answer the questions. Please answer the question of the person above you and leave one for the next person!

SamZ (samwisezbrown) I am unlocking this thread. I have finished the book, but haven't had time to post questions just yet. Hopefully I will get to them tonight. If anyone else has finished and wants to post questions, please do. Just make sure that 4 is "How did you like this book" 5 is "Answer the question of the person above you and 6 is "Leave a question for the person below you, answer if you want to."

message 3: by Deb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Deb | 0 comments 1. Do you agree with Mr. Henry's statement to Sadie when she brought him the cookies?

2. Who did you think the murder was and why?

3. Do you think Detective Cunningham will be in the second book of the series?

4. How did you like this book?

5. Answer the question of the person above you. If they forgot to leave one, answer the question above them.

6. Leave a question for the person below you, answer it you want to.

SamZ (samwisezbrown) @Deb - Thank you so much! My grandmother passed away this weekend and I was busy travelling to and from Utah to say goodbye. I really am so grateful you posted these questions!

Katrina Lybbert | 72 comments Sorry to hear your grandma passed away, Sam. My condolences. Thanks Deb for posting the questions.

1. Do you agree with Mr. Henry's statement to Sadie when she brought him the cookies?
**I had to take my book back to the library as soon as I finished it, so I don't have the opportunity to review what he said. Sorry I can't remember.

2. Who did you think the murderer was and why?
**I thought the murderer was one of the woman, either Carrie or her daughter, as the book seemed to be hinting that way. I was surprised by the truth, though there had been something suspicious about that detective all along.

**I think he will continue to be a part of the series. Maybe the new romantic interest for Sadie.

**I did enjoy the book. I had read the 2nd in the series quite a few years ago and felt it was just okay, so I was happy to find I really liked this 1st book much better. I am willing to read more in the series now. I have Blackberry Crumble out from my library.

5. Answer the question of the person above you. If they forgot to leave one, answer the question above them.

**If you were Mindy, would you have followed Sadie and the officer out to the woods?

Kimberly | 14 comments Sam - I'm so sorry to hear your grandmother passed. I hope you and your family are doing well during this time!

1. Do you agree with Mr. Henry's statement to Sadie when she brought him the cookies?
To be honest, I was grateful for what Mr. Henry told Sadie about her being a busybody and only coming over when she needs something. I think it was something Sadie needed to hear because by that point in the novel Sadie was really grating on my nerves.

I definitely thought it was Carrie. The moment it was revealed that Carrie hadn't gone to work the day of the murder, I was instantly suspicious. When we found out what went on between Ann and Jack, I was even more convinced it was her. When I found out the actual murderer, I was floored.

Definitely. There's chemistry between him and Sadie. I wouldn't be surprised if they start a relationship.

It was okay. It wasn't quite as good as I was hoping it would be, but my interest in the series has been piqued enough that I'm willing to read the rest of it.

Probably not. I would be too cautious (and probably scared) to get involved in a case.

My question:
How did you feel when it was revealed Madsen was the murderer?
I was shocked. After the shock wore off, I was a little bit upset. Madsen being the murderer made the plot sloppy to me. It felt like that was thrown in to thicken the plot off even more, but the execution didn't go over well.

SamZ (samwisezbrown) 1. Do you agree with Mr. Henry's statement to Sadie when she brought him the cookies?
Yes! I loved when he bluntly asked what she wanted and pointed out that she never brought goodies unless she wanted info. I was a little frustrated with Sadie by this point, and found her somewhat annoying, so Mr. Henry's comments were amusing.

I thought for sure it was Carrie or her daughter.

Yes, definitely. I think there was too much character development for him to only be a one-time person. Also, there was definitely some sparks.

It was okay, but not my favorite. I'm still not a fan of cozy or culinary mysteries, and when I do read mysteries I'm more likely to read Stout, Doyle, or Robb.

*How did you feel when it was revealed Madsen was the murderer?

I agree with Kimberly that it made the book feel a little sloppy. I felt like it was kind of a cop-out, so that Sadie wouldn't feel betrayed by anyone in her family.

Sadie mentions at one point that she is glad that she never had to deal with massive consequences from her own poor choices (referring to Jack's infidelity). Do you think it is realistic for anyone to have never made a big mistake?

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet Fralick | 13 comments 1. Do you agree with Mr. Henry's statement to Sadie when she brought him the cookies?

Yes, I thought he was spot on.

I thought it was Carrie for most of the book.

I guess I will find out. It's the only thing making me want to read the next book.

I never would have read this book on my own. I was surprised that I enjoyed it. And after some hard books that I have been reading lately it was a nice change.

Sadie mentions at one point that she is glad that she never had to deal with massive consequences from her own poor choices (referring to Jack's infidelity). Do you think it is realistic for anyone to have never made a big mistake?
I think it's possible for some people to look back on their life and say they didn't make any big mistakes. I think it would help if you had been able to learn from your mistakes and make positive changes from them. You might see them differently then. I think learning from mistakes equals growth so mistakes can be good.

We all seemed to think that Sadie has some character flaws. Do you want to see her change them as the series continues or do you think they add to her charm and she should stay the same?

June (grandmanmom-teacher) | 13 comments 1. Do you agree with Mr. Henry's statement to Sadie when she brought him the cookies?
Yes. Not only is it true for Sadie to bake only when she wants something, it is common for many women to want to take a treat when they go to visit someone as an ice breaker.

I thought it was Carrie at first and then her daughter. The plot just seemed to point to the disgruntled wife when she found her husband was unfaithful and had a son.

I don't know. It makes sense since there seems to be a spark between the Detective and Sadie.

This is the first culinary mystery I have read. I enjoy mysteries, but I felt like it was an unsupported shock that Detective Hansen was the murderer and I didn't see much in the plot other than he seemed to be a little cocky and off. Up until the murderer was declared, I was really enjoying the book.

We all seemed to think that Sadie has some character flaws. Do you want to see her change them as the series continues or do you think they add to her charm and she should stay the same? I would like to see her grow and learn from her mistakes or character flaws. But it would have to be woven into the plot of the subsequent novels to show a natural process of learning.

6. Leave a question for the person below you, answer it if you want to.
Did you feel satisfied with the ending of the book? Do you feel like there were details omitted that would have made a better conclusion had they been answered?