LDS Ladies Book Club discussion

Lemon Tart (A Culinary Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Lemon Tart
2017 Books of the Month > Feb '17 - Lemon Tart Ch 1-13 Questions

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

SamZ (samwisezbrown) Once you have read the selection, come over and answer the questions. Please answer the question of the person above you and leave one for the next person!

1. At first glance, Sadie seems like a nosy neighbor. Do you think she is, or does she genuinely care for her neighbors?

2. What do you think has happened to Trevor?

3. Detective Madsen is a bit of a jerk. Do you think this justifies Sadie's trying to learn stuff on her own?

4. What is going on with Ron? How is he involved in all of this?

5. Answer the question of the person above you. If they forgot to leave one, answer the question above them.

6. Leave a question for the person below you, answer it if you want.

message 2: by SamZ (last edited Jan 30, 2017 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

SamZ (samwisezbrown) 1. At first glance, Sadie seems like a nosy neighbor. Do you think she is, or does she genuinely care for her neighbors?
I think Sadie cares about her neighbors. I kind of feel like she's more of a less gossipy Rachel Lynde (Anne of Green Gables) than she is a Gladys Kravitz (Bewitched).

I hope that he is okay. I think that his dad stole him so that he wouldn't have to keep paying child support and didn't have to keep dealing with Anne.

3. Detective Madsen is a bit of a jerk. Do you think this justifies Sadie's trying to learn stuff on her own?
Yes and no. I think that if they're trying to get information from her, they need to be nice and respectful. However, I also think that Sadie should be cooperative.

I don't think Ron is the dad. I think he knows who it is, though. I also don't think he's been using Sadie, I think he genuinely cares for her, but I don't think their relationship is going to survive.

5. Answer the question of the person above you. If they forgot to leave one, answer the question above them.
I'll answer my own, below.

6. My question: Do you (or did your mom) can fruit/applesauce? What are your thoughts/memories on the subject?
We used to can peaches as a kid and I hated it because it was so sticky and messy. However, one year we also made salsa and I loved that! Although, my mom didn't know that she had to wear gloves when handling the peppers, so she burned her hands and had to soak them in milk.

Kimberly | 14 comments 1. At first glance, Sadie seems like a nosy neighbor. Do you think she is, or does she genuinely care for her neighbors?
I think Sadie has the best intentions for her neighbors and truly wants to help out. Though she comes across as nosy and entitled, it's obvious that she doesn't mean any harm. I kind of wish she would think about the implications of her meddling, though.

The murderer must have kidnapped him. Hopefully he's safe and unharmed.

Madsen's attitude is extremely uncalled for. However, I don't think this gives Sade the green light to begin her own "personal investigation." The more she meddles, the sticker her situation becomes.

Personally, I can't see Ron being Trevor's father. I think Sadie went overboard there. He must be involved with the father or murder (or both) somehow, but I'm not quite sure how he fits in to the picture.

I've never canned, though I'm hoping to learn this year. My grandma canned and she would sometimes give us this delicious apricot jam that we would put on our toast. It was divinely delicious!

I can't think of a good question, so I'll copy and paste SamZ's question for convenience's sake:
Do you (or did your mom) can fruit/applesauce? What are your thoughts/memories on the subject?

Katrina Lybbert | 72 comments 1. At first glance, Sadie seems like a nosy neighbor. Do you think she is, or does she genuinely care for her neighbors?
**I think Sadie does really care for her neighbors and likes to help them out. But she definitely has a personality that wants to be in everyone's business even when it isn't always appropriate. But I think she is a good person.

**One idea is that he was kidnapped by the murderer. But I also wonder if maybe he is with the father, or his grandparents and it may be unrelated to the murder.

**Detective Madsen is hard to deal with, for sure. Sadie should definitely cooperate with the police, but I think a little sleuthing on her own is okay.

**Sadie's imagination is running wild about Ron. I don't think he is the boys father. He may just be someone Anne trusted having known him from her previous job. He may have promised Anne to be discreet and didn't intentionally hide things from Sadie.

**I am not a person who cans fruit. My mom wasn't either. But my mother-in-law does a lot of canning and we enjoy the benefits of her doing so. Her applesauce is great!

**Who is your favorite character in the book so far?

I like Detective Cunningham. He treats Sadie with respect and welcomes her help in the case. I am curious about the animosity between him and Detective Madsen though.

message 5: by Deb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Deb | 0 comments 1. At first glance, Sadie seems like a nosy neighbor. Do you think she is, or does she genuinely care for her neighbors? I think she cares for her neighbors. I think this is controlling which leads to being nosy.

2. What do you think has happened to Trevor? I think his father involved in Ann death and Trevor is with his father.

3. Detective Madsen is a bit of a jerk. Do you think this justifies Sadie's trying to learn stuff on her own? No

4. What is going on with Ron? How is he involved in all of this? This is a hard one to answer. We don't know that much about him or his back ground. He is supposed to be out of town yet he shows and tells the police Sadie will not talk anymore unless she has an attorney. Has he had legal problems before and is overly cautious? I also think Sadie doesn't know the man she is going to marry very well if the only conclusion she comes to is that Ron is Trevor's father.

**Who is your favorite character in the book so far? Detective Cunningham, he kind and more experience. He seems to want to get the murder not like Detective Madsen who appears to only want to make a name for himself.

6. Leave a question for the person below you, answer it if you want. Would like to have Sadie as a neighbor?

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet Fralick | 13 comments 1. At first glance, Sadie seems like a nosy neighbor. Do you think she is, or does she genuinely care for her neighbors? I think she is way to nosy and that it comes from wanting to make sure everyone is doing everything the right way - which is her way. I also think she needs to be needed.

2. What do you think has happened to Trevor? I think his father took him.

3. Detective Madsen is a bit of a jerk. Do you think this justifies Sadie's trying to learn stuff on her own? My problem with her finding things on her own is that she seems to want to keep them from the police so she will know more than them.

4. What is going on with Ron? How is he involved in all of this? He is definitely keeping secrets from Sadie and is mixed up in the middle of all this but I don't think he killed Anne.

Would you like to have Sadie as a neighbor? Probably, I've had worse neighbors and I like it when people bring me food.

I thought of a question last night but I forgot it this morning.