2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2017 > G. Sanchez's Attempt to Surpass 12 books in 2017

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Giovanni (last edited Jan 30, 2017 08:42AM) (new)

Giovanni Sanchez New member to the group just looking to expand on my love for reading, experience new books, and have fun.

Over the years, Goodreads has helped me rekindle my love for reading. I've completed one reading challenge before and then lost my way for a year or two, but I am hoping by joining a group it will help keep me focused and on track. The goal this year for me is 12 which may not be a lot but it can be quite hard for me to find the time between work and personal life.

But here is my humble journey. Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to follow along.

message 2: by Giovanni (last edited Jan 31, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

Giovanni Sanchez 1. Pet Sematary by Stephen King (5/5)
Pet Sematary by Stephen King
Riveting!!! Golden age Stephen King novel, "Pet Semetary" is a pure example of how this author has transcended his genre into real literature!

Reading Challenge: 1/12
Finished: 1/9/2017

message 3: by Giovanni (last edited Jan 31, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

Giovanni Sanchez 2. Everything We Keep by Kerry Lonsdale (3/5)
Everything We Keep by Kerry Lonsdale
Saw this book on the Goodreads awards page for 2016. I was hesitant to start this book but it was an enjoyable, and surprisingly, quick read. I am glad I started it when I did seeing as the sequel is due to release later this year. I'l be sure to pick that up when it releases.

Reading Challenge: 2/12
Finished: 1/17/2017

message 4: by Giovanni (last edited Jan 31, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

Giovanni Sanchez 3. 1984 by George Orwell (5/5)
1984 by George Orwell
Such a refreshing read of a classic! This is the kind of writing that is missing nowadays. How many books are published in a dystopian setting but come no where close to being literary? It saddens me, and a little worrisome, but 1984 is a prime example of how imagination can still be real and thought-provoking. Reading it as an adult now, I loved how I was reminded of thematic presences found in a novel which brought me right back to all I learned as a high school student.

Reading Challenge: 3/12
Finished: 1/26/2017

message 5: by Giovanni (last edited Jan 31, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

Giovanni Sanchez 4. Egomanic by Vi Keeland (5/5)
Egomaniac by Vi Keeland
I'm not sure if it is okay to call a novel on the New York Times Best-sellers List a "sleeper," but if so, then this book is one of the biggest sleepers!! Why aren't more people talking about this? Obviously, people know about this book (I'm not the only person to have read and like this book), but what I mean to say is why did I have to find this one on my own. This is the kind of story I want to tell all my friends and fellow-readers to read immediately!!

Seriously though, this book is such an amazing read from beginning to end. The author did a wonderful job of making the characters and situations relatable. I'm no rich lawyer, but I sure felt like one while reading this. I experienced the love written about in this book through these characters. The biggest surprise from this book is the amount of myself and recent situations I've been through within the pages of this book. So much fun with this book; I surely see myself rereading this in the future.

Reading Challenge: 4/12
FInished 1/31/2017

message 6: by Giovanni (last edited Feb 23, 2017 08:58PM) (new)

Giovanni Sanchez 5. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (4/5)
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8) by John Tiffany

A fun and heartfelt look into the lives of the characters we all grew to know and love as we are propelled into the adventures of the next generation. The authors walk the line of nostalgia a lot in this one teetering between too much and just right. Oddly enough, it was until finishing this book I realized that I grew up with Harry Potter but never felt the original saga was a coming of age story. That is not the case here with Albus so that was refreshing in itself.

Reading Challenge: 5/12
Finished: 2/1/2017

message 7: by Giovanni (new)

Giovanni Sanchez 6. Promise Me (1/5)
Promise Me by Barbie Bohrman

The worst book I've read since "50 Shades of Grey."

-poor narrative from the protagonist
-a cliche-ridden plot
-melodramatic
-terrible pacing
-two-dimensional characters
-unjustified feelings and reactions
-a sloppy and unsatisfying ending

20 days to finish this book, and it's a miracle I finished it at all.