Project Mimir discussion

The Group > Meta-discussions

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John (johnbrock) | 18 comments Any suggestions, discussions about the group, or the group format go here.

message 2: by John (new)

John (johnbrock) | 18 comments How should we organize this? A book a month? Several books a month? How does everyone want to do this? I'm inclined to do a book a month as a suggestion, but having many discussions going on at once. I figure everyone will read their own stuff, and if they found something inspiring they could share it with the group and we'd take it as a strong suggestion to read it ourselves.

message 3: by John (new)

John (johnbrock) | 18 comments What do you think about each person having a bookshelf of books they recommend. It would be like Staff Picks.

message 4: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn (il_medico) | 4 comments Think a book a month is reasonable, would not be apposed to maybe two a month (maybe do one fiction, one nonfiction/philosophy). I know not everyone has a crazy amount of time to read.

message 5: by John (new)

John (johnbrock) | 18 comments Ed wrote: "Think a book a month is reasonable, would not be apposed to maybe two a month (maybe do one fiction, one nonfiction/philosophy). I know not everyone has a crazy amount of time to read."

I imagined that it wouldn't be required reading. Just a suggestion if you wanted to be involved with the discussion. I imagined that everyone would also want to read other things as well, that way we can find more suggestions for the group or flesh out our personal interests more. That's why I like one book a month. Not too demanding and it's pretty easy to accomplish.

message 6: by Evelyn (last edited Feb 03, 2017 10:43PM) (new)

Evelyn (il_medico) | 4 comments So Meditations would be February's book and maybe we pick the next month's book sometime during this month? Do goodreads' groups allow for polls and the like?

Also, do we want to set a standard discussion date? Like have a round-table discussion type deal about the book, say, the last Saturday of every month?

message 7: by John (new)

John (johnbrock) | 18 comments I would be down with that but not everyone is so flexible. Since there are so few of us it might make sense to just do it when the majority of people have read the book and have come.

A poll would work, but I'd like to expand people's horizons and have them read books they otherwise wouldn't. That could be achieved by picking a person to pick a book each month or just picking a book on our shelf at random. Or maybe everyone picks a book they want the group to read and we pick from there at random. Best of both worlds.