Grimdark Fantasy discussion

Group Reads Nominations & Polls > Plans for the Next Group Read

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 573 comments Mod
Morning/afternoon/evening members!

As many of you know, last nomination I had a question from one of our members regarding self-nomination. One member wisely suggested we should dedicate a group read to members who would like to nominate their own work. (thank you Silvana!!)

Is everyone happy for us to do this at our next group read (Mar/Apr)? Should we only include self-published works? Any other suggestions?

We want to make it as fair for the authors as possible, so they can entice us to read their work, instead of judging the book by its cover.

Ideas and suggestions here or you can pm me if you prefer.

Have a great day and happy reading! :)

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I said that? I totally forgot ;p

As long as there's a Kindle edition that's available to buy (sometimes does not work for me due to geo restriction crap or something) then I'm in. If I cannot join but the others can then it is fine as well - I can check your recommendations after the discussion.

message 3: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (last edited Jan 30, 2017 11:51AM) (new)

That is a very good point, I had not thought of availability. Lets hope it does not turn out to be an issue.

So far the plans go something like this:

Only self-pub or indie-press books

Only authors may nominate (we want everyone to have a fair chance)

Authors may include a short (<100 words) synopsis.

That's all I have so far. What do you guys think?

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 89 comments Silvana wrote: "As long as there's a Kindle edition that's available "

Ditto. I'm good with any other rules or lack thereof.

message 5: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Cool. I will leave this thread open for the next week or so, just in case anyone else has ideas. Then we can begin!

message 6: by Jon (new)

Jon Erebus | 22 comments Hey! I've been away from this group for a long time, but I'd like to join in on this! It would be very interesting to see what you guys are thinking about self-published material. I'm currently revising all my stuff as I'm preparing to publish more stories towards the spring/summer, so let me begin by NOT nominating anything by me!

message 7: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I think it is also useful for authors when pitching their books that they tell us three things that make their book unique in the current grimdark fantasy landscape.

message 8: by Brittany (last edited Feb 13, 2017 07:13PM) (new)

Brittany | 552 comments Mod
I will be nice to have a list of to reads to update from some lesser knows authors maybe not so highly publicized. Tracy I shared your link on the popular Grimdark Facebook page! we will see what happens. If it gets overwhelming I will try and help sift through! I'm excited to see where it goes!

message 9: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Thanks very much! :)

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 552 comments Mod
Phew! A lot of choices so far and I appreciate the honesty of some of the writings admitting to "lighter" reads

message 11: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Guys, I was wondering whether we could read grimdark novels by female authors for the group read someday. It is not common yes, but it might be good to expand the horizon. what do you think?

message 12: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Spencer | 14 comments When does the current read end? I'm struggling time management!

message 13: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Silvana wrote: "Guys, I was wondering whether we could read grimdark novels by female authors for the group read someday. It is not common yes, but it might be good to expand the horizon. what do you think?"

Sounds fun! I can only think of a handful. I can set up a poll and see what our members would like to do.

I'm thinking of starting a thread with a list of GD authors to make it easier for or members to find what they are after. I'll have a think about it over the weekend.

message 14: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

M.L. wrote: "When does the current read end? I'm struggling time management!"

Still plenty of time! 31st April is when we officially finish the current read, but the discussion threads are left open so you can add your thoughts later. We try to make the read as relaxed as possible, so there's no pressure to finish by a certain date.

message 15: by Martin (new)

Martin Owton | 17 comments Jo Zebedee's Abendau series is fairly grimdark space opera

message 16: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Spencer | 14 comments Tracey the Lizard Queen wrote: "M.L. wrote: "When does the current read end? I'm struggling time management!"

Still plenty of time! 31st April is when we officially finish the current read, but the discussion threads are left op..."

Oh, good! I'm finally on spring break, so I can catch up! Thank you:)

message 17: by El Mikoe (new)

El Mikoe Tracey the Lizard Queen wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Guys, I was wondering whether we could read grimdark novels by female authors for the group read someday. It is not common yes, but it might be good to expand the horizon. what do y..."

The number of female dark fantasy writers on my to-read shelf seems to be 0....so i'm all for it!

message 18: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Glad to know at least nine people have voted yes :)

some book recommendations: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comm...

message 19: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Silvana wrote: "Glad to know at least nine people have voted yes :)

some book recommendations: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comm..."

Brilliant!

message 20: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Also here: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

Funny that some people also put dark fantasy novels in it, And they're not the same sub(?)genre.

message 21: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Silvana wrote: "Also here: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

Funny that some people also put dark fantasy novels in it, And they're not the same sub(?)genre."

I gets quite confusing!

message 22: by Silvana (last edited Feb 25, 2018 07:26PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Since The Black Company is the next group read I was considering to continue the series from book 4 onwards. Not sure if Croaker is still there but I miss Cook's writing and characters. Anyone else interested to do a buddy read, let me know.

message 23: by Omar (new)

Omar Al-Khateeb | 1 comments Silvana wrote: "Since The Black Company is the next group read I was considering to continue the series from book 4 onwards. Not sure if Duiker is still there but I miss Cook's writing and characters. Anyone else ..."

Not sure if you're confused with malazan because Duiker is a character from malazan book of the fallen book 2, Deadhouse Gates

message 24: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Haha, thanks! I meant Croaker. Duiker reminded of him, or was it the other way around.

Anywho, the invitation still stands. The Chronicles of Black Company book 4 onwards , not Malazan (yet).