The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A Read Along discussion

The Mime Order (The Bone Season, #2)
This topic is about The Mime Order
MIME ORDER Wk 1 - Ch. 1-9 > PROS: Open forum

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shae, Mollisher (new) - added it

Shae McDaniel (shaelit) | 67 comments Mod
This will be the Pros discussion forum for the first week of reading. As opposed to the "Getting Excited" thread, which is for general happy seal clapping over the weeks to come, this thread is to discuss the minutiae of what's going down in these first nine chapters.

So, my lovelies, what is different for you this time around? What's the same? Are you reacting to the world differently? The characters? The building plot? I'll admit that the first time I read The Mime Order, Haymarket Hector gave me the heebie-jeebies; now I sneer a little, because we all know what's coming.

Rhiannon Jackman (rhi_jackman) | 23 comments I'm just really looking forward to the scrimmage again! That's one of my favourite scenes in the book. Also any time Paige and Warden are together because I'm a sucker xD haha.

Every time I read the books now and Paige says something like "they can't be the aether" I end up yelling at her mentally like "yes they can, Paige omg" haha

Falon | 4 comments This time around I just want to slap the white binder anytime he tries to block Paige from warning the sydnicate. He is such a selfish ass. Not sure if it is in chapters 1-9, as I am a bit ahead, but I enjoy the backstory of Cutmouth and Ivy.

Alix | 70 comments One thing I've noticed in both the Bone Season flashbacks and TMO this time around, is Jaxon an alcoholic. He really does seem to imbibe rather a lot, and it only seems to escalate in this book.
I enjoy getting to know the gang more in the book. I do get frustrated with Eliza a lot, and spend most of the time Nadine is around annoyed with her, though I do feel a bit bad for her as well, she's obviously quite troubled. I like seeing more of Danica in this book, and seeing more of the syndicate. Ognena Maria is one of my favorite new characters.

Candace | 22 comments Just finished the section for this week and I found myself screaming at Jaxon a few times to listen to Paige and start preparing for a show down with the Rephs and Scion! Of course I already know how events turn out but that still doesn't stop me from trying!

As an aside, in between the Bone Season and Mime Order re-readings, I re-read "A Discovery of Witches" for another book club. All I can say is that it is FANTASTIC to get back to a book that features truly strong female characters and doesn't rely on the overused "possessive vampire man and fainting female can't live without each other" trope.

Rhiannon Jackman (rhi_jackman) | 23 comments I love the bit on the train into London. How easily Paige interacts with the other Seals

Alix | 70 comments Candace, yes! It's also good to read a book that doesn't judge or punish young women for having sexual desires or enjoying physical intimacy. It's not my intention to bring a lot of criticism of Twilight into this, but i remember reading the first Twilight book and thinking "if Bella gets too into kissing, Edward will lose control???what year is this, 1865??!". There are risks for Paige and Warden because theirs is a forbidden love and all that, but they're not of the slut-shamey variety.

Victoria Ellis (victoria_e_ellis) | 18 comments Alix wrote: "Candace, yes! It's also good to read a book that doesn't judge or punish young women for having sexual desires or enjoying physical intimacy. It's not my intention to bring a lot of criticism of Tw..."
Haha totally love that quip about Bella and Edward. In comparison female desire is represented in a much more realistic way in this, because believe it or not females do desire, and it's not going to kill them.
I'm lagging a bit behind, so haven't quite gotten to where I should be but I'm finding it a lot easier to get back into the world of SciLo this time. Because TBS takes place in Oxford, I can remember struggling to get into this the first time I read it. You basically have to learn the rules of the environment all over again, and this time Paige already knows them. But as a re-read I'm loving it

Alix | 70 comments Victoria, yes, I remember the first time I read TBS it took a lot of time to get into it, because there was just so much information, all of it about very unfamiliar things. I've never been to Oxford, so I hadn't the foggiest notion of what dystopic Oxford might look like (though there have been some great photos of all the different buildings shared). I've spent very little time in London and it was a long time ago, but it did seem more familiar, both because it's more familiar to Paige, and on re-reads, everything feels more familiar (being an urbanite myself who has read a lot of lit and watched a lot of tv/film centered around London may also help me imagine SciLo better).

message 10: by Alix (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alix | 70 comments I had another thought pertaining to this section: does anyone else think there is *a lot* we don't know about Paige's dad? In the brief glimpse we get of him here, he seems pretty distraught and as though he's been trying to find her. I tend to doubt he tows the Scion party-line about Unnaturalness as much as Paige assumes he does.

Victoria Ellis (victoria_e_ellis) | 18 comments Alix wrote: "I had another thought pertaining to this section: does anyone else think there is *a lot* we don't know about Paige's dad? In the brief glimpse we get of him here, he seems pretty distraught and as..."
Definitely! I think he may be a bit of a dark horse and maybe we will see more of him in future books