Mathematics Book Club discussion

2017 Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mars, Founder Moderator (last edited Jan 30, 2017 02:46AM) (new)

Mars Smith | 33 comments Mod
This thread is for anyone who wants to participate in reading one mathematics book every month in 2017.

Here is how you can participate:
Write the title of the book you read, the author, and the number of pages below. Your list can include books that our group is reading, books you are reading by yourself, or a combination of the two. You can post your reading plan ahead of time or procrastinate and post what books you read towards the end :-)

message 2: by Ravin (new)

Ravin | 6 comments January - I missed it. =P
February - Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions(I saw the movie so I guess I can relate to it pretty easily.)
Rest Of Months - No idea yet.

message 3: by Mars, Founder Moderator (last edited Jan 30, 2017 02:33PM) (new)

Ravin wrote: "January - I missed it. =P
February - Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions(I saw the movie so I guess I can relate to it pretty easily.)
Rest Of Months - No idea yet."

It's okay if you missed reading "Music of the Primes". You can still read it or read another book that interests you.

Great! I'm glad you have something to help you relate to this month's book. I'm looking forward to reading it, as well. It's a short book, so, you can read it in no time.

Haha. That's okay if you don't know. Maybe, I should find a list of great books on mathematics for our group. That might help people figure out what they want to read.

Anyway, thanks for your post, Ravin.

message 5: by Mars, Founder Moderator (new)

Great, Henk! I'll make sure to add some of these to next month's poll options. All of them look interesting to me, but the one titled "Magical Mathematics" looks especially so. :-)

Thanks for sharing.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 16, 2017 09:57AM) (new)

Hello to everyone, I am a new member.

My plan for the current month(February)

Finding Moonshine A Mathematician's Journey Through Symmetry by Marcus du Sautoy
Finding Moonshine: A Mathematician's Journey Through Symmetry

message 7: by Mars, Founder Moderator (new)

If you liked "Finding Moonshine: A Mathematician's Journey Through Symmetry" then you might like "Music of the Primes" which our group read in January 2017. Marcus du Sautoy wrote both of those books. So far, our group hasn't read "Finding Moonshine" yet, but it looks interesting.

Thank you for sharing, Vikas, and thank you for joining us. There will be a poll each month for members to vote on what to read next. Currently, members are voting on what to read for March 2017. When the next poll comes out, I will try to remember your book suggestion.