Play Book Tag discussion

Before the Fall
This topic is about Before the Fall
Archives 2016-2017 > Before the Fall by Noah Hawley - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2032 comments A small Gulfstream jet lifts off from Martha's Vineyard for a short flight to New York. On board are a crew of 3, a media mogul with his wife and 2 young children, a less than ethical money mover and his wife, a bodyguard, and a poor, struggling artist. The weather is warm and foggy. Sixteen minutes after take-off the jet plunges into the ocean. Two passengers survive: the artist, Scott Burroughs, and the 4-year-old son of the uber-wealthy media mogul. Scott, a long-time distance swimmer, somehow manages to save himself and the child despite the chilly waters and a marathon 10-mile swim.

Investigations into the crash focus on conspiracy theories. Was the money man, who had already been visited by Treasury department representatives, on the wrong side of money laundering. The media mogul was rumored to not have the happiest marriage and his astounding wealth naturally brought envy and grumbling from staff and competitors. Was his wife having an affair? With the painter? And why does the cockpit door have several bullet holes in it? Scott, originally lifted to heroic status becomes the subject of nasty gossip and suspicion. Although Scott is disgusted by the turn of tide against him, his main concern is for the little boy who lost his family.

I enjoyed the way this story was told. The backstories of all on board were told in alternating chapters with the current storyline. It was interesting to try and figure out what happened to the plane. I didn't solve the mystery and it was a fairly good one.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3759 comments This has been on my radar, I think it made some 2016 best -of lists. Definitely sounds interesting!

Susie | 4488 comments I thought this was a good read too.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I enjoyed this read, it moved very fast.