New Canadian Library and other Canadian Lit Challenge discussion

Monthy Book Discussions > Barometer Rising - Weeks 1 and 2

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 195 comments Please post your comments here.

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 195 comments I have just started reading the book, and in only 12 pages the author has got me interested. I think his description of Halifax is wonderful. My husband and I were there in 1978, and I can see the city again through his description.
Not only that, I am curious about the main character-why is he afraid to knock at a certain door?

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 195 comments I have finished the section called "Sunday". The description of the house is vivid. It doesn't sound like a cheerful place at all.
There is a mystery behind the supposed death of Neil. I suspect that Penny's father has a dark secret he would like to keep hidden.

message 4: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Lybbert | 7 comments I have just read the first 12 pages myself. But I do like the description of Halifax as I was there in 2001, and I can picture some of the places in my mind. Very cool. I really enjoyed my visit there.

message 5: by Rosemarie (last edited Feb 05, 2017 08:50PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 195 comments I wonder how much the city has changed between my visit and yours. I really enjoyed our visit there, and I remember the view from the Citadel as being spectacular.

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 195 comments I have finished reading Monday, and my heart goes out to Neil. He has been damaged by the war physically and emotionally, leaving him empty, lonely and full of despair. Poor man- and representative of many young men who returned from that war with their lives shattered.

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 195 comments I am reading "Wednesday" and the mystery of what really happened in France is slowly coming to light. Colonel Wain is a thoroughly unpleasant individual. Murray is becoming a larger player in the novel and is a sympathetic, and intelligent, character.