Archive 2017 > week 4: chapter 39-49:LD

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
Comments here

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 270 comments Mod
The chapters about the cold winter and the snow are intense, especially the rescue of the sheep from the snowdrift.
There is also a more exciting rescue, the rescue of Lorna from the hands of the scoundrels in her family.

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

I have finished 65 chapters, and so far Lorna Doone, has been the most passive and lacklustre character in the book. The other characters are all fleshed out and interesting. Is it because John is so smitten with her that he can't describe her fully, or is she lacking substance.
I like his interactions with his family members. They have the ring of truth- he gets along well with Annie, Lizzie gets on his nerves, and his mother can be annoying at times.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I have finished 65 chapters, and so far Lorna Doone, has been the most passive and lacklustre character in the book. The other characters are all fleshed out and interesting. Is it because John is ..."

I am hoping Lorna is being kept as something of a mystery and will 'reveal' herself soon.

I am quite a but behind on all my reading and I apologise to all my groups. I have been down with a flu-like infection and have been quite ill for almost a month. I am starting to feel a little better now. Even reading has been out of the question.

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Tracey, I really hope you feel better soon. I finished the book last week. The ending explains her history. My favourite character is the narrator, John, even though some of the comments he makes about women are silly. I love the fact that the elderJohn keeps referring to the fact he is a church warden.

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "Tracey, I really hope you feel better soon. I finished the book last week. The ending explains her history. My favourite character is the narrator, John, even though some of the comments he makes a..."

I noted the comments made by John Ridd. In what I have just read he refers to women being liars and then talks about practising his courting skills on Sally Snowe so he will be able to do it with Lorna; not a thought about how using poor Sally in this way was unkind.

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "Tracey, I really hope you feel better soon. I finished the book last week. The ending explains her history. My favourite character is the narrator, John, even though some of the comments he makes a..."

And yes I am feeling a little better but still very drained. Thank you.