Paths to Wholeness discussion

Member Introductions > MoMoLives Introduction

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Aitken | 9 comments Hi Everyone,
I am a writer, instructor, and meditator living in the Midwest. My book of flash fiction will be published in 2018. My return to essay writing and journalism keeps me engaged in this strange and changing landscape.

I have a lifelong connection to spirituality, but the recent loss of two family members has intensified my study of belief and healing. Both illnesses were long and traditional medicine had nothing to offer, or worsened the condition. As a member of both care teams, I am shocked by the lack of resources to help family members care for their loved ones.

I'm mindful of how stress, environmental destruction, loneliness, and toxic food contribute to our disease. I've found inspiration in Man's Search for Meaning, The Path, The Blue Zones, and many other books. I am so glad to have found this group.

message 2: by David, Moderator (new)

David J. Bookbinder (davidbookbinder) | 95 comments Mod
Welcome to the group. (And congratulations on the book!) I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your family members. Just this morning, I was talking about the limitations of the U.S. approach to medicine that I have also both experienced and witnessed. I appreciate what you have written here and look forward to our future discussions. Perhaps we can even find a way, collectively, to reverse some part of the current trend.

- David

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Aitken | 9 comments Yes!

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 30, 2017 09:15AM) (new)

Stephanie Golden (wwwgoodreadscomstephanie_golden) | 11 comments MoMoLives wrote: My book of flash fiction will be published in 2018.

I'm a mentor in a writing program for teenage girls and was recently introduced to flash fiction. Each month we have a workshop about a different genre, and one last fall was flash fiction, new to me. I'm not a fiction writer, but I enjoyed trying my hand at it and then helping my mentee revise and edit her piece, which had to be 500 words or less. It requires a whole different set of skills.

message 5: by David, Moderator (new)

David J. Bookbinder (davidbookbinder) | 95 comments Mod
Indeed it does. Several years ago, I was in a writing group, and in addition to reviewing three or four works by our members, we began with a 15-minute freewriting exercise. Mine were always brief explorations of dialog or character, but two of the members produced complete stories in 15 minutes. We did this for several years and met every two weeks. At the time, they were called "short short stories." I don't know when the term "flash fiction" came in.

message 6: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Aitken | 9 comments Stephanie wrote: "MoMoLives wrote: My book of flash fiction will be published in 2018.

I'm a mentor in a writing program for teenage girls and was recently introduced to flash fiction. Each month we have a worksho..."

Yes, and they can vary in style from prose poem, philosophy, and/or plot-driven work. I am glad teens are writing them.