Ready, Set, READ! Bookclub discussion

The Lie Tree > Chapters 1 - 9

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula - (new)

Paula - | 85 comments Mod
Have fun chatting.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin I am having so much trouble getting into this book! I don't know what the deal is! Looking at the reviews, everyone loves it!

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments Robin wrote: "I am having so much trouble getting into this book! I don't know what the deal is! Looking at the reviews, everyone loves it!"

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I've read 5 chapters and am not feelin' it. I was going to write on here and ask if anyone had started it and if it was worth continuing. It seems to be moving really slow for me.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin I have kept going and it is getting a little easier to read. I will see how it goes today! I have been listening to The Druid Chronicles on audio, so maybe its because my head is in that world right now.

message 5: by Cristi-Lael (last edited Feb 16, 2017 06:02AM) (new)

Cristi-Lael | 33 comments Mod
Oh, ladies, I am right there with you! I have read to chapter 7 so far and am still not all that interested in it. I mean, if I wanted a study on how poorly society acted back in the day, this would be the book for it. But I'm not. (And I have to remind myself not to get mad at how poorly society acted back then, and just remember that was how life was. And then be grateful that life isn't like that now, lol)

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbieslibrary) I just finished reading chapter 9, and I do agree with you. The first chapters are so hard to get through, but I do have the feeling that after these chapters the story will start.
Now let me get started with saying that I am so glad to be living in this time period... The way women are viewed in this book annoys me. Actually there are a few things that annoy me. Mostly the parents, that is something I am so sick of seeing in books, the 'shitty parents' trope...
I do hope that the book will get better after this part.

message 7: by Cristi-Lael (new)

Cristi-Lael | 33 comments Mod
Yeah, I agree, Debbie. It's definitely an overdone trope. Again, I realize that that's how life was back then. Children were meant to be seen and not heard, and wives had to submit without argument to their husbands. Women were second class citizens. It's just how things were. And, like you said, I'm just glad I live now where I can discuss things with my husband as an equal, and our children can have intelligent opinions all their own as well.
I'm in chapter 11 and still not enjoying the book. But there is still hope.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin I am still hopeful too.