Play Book Tag discussion

Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster
This topic is about Into Thin Air
Archives 2016-2017 > Into Thin Air / Jon Krakauer - 4****

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5813 comments Into Thin Air A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer
Into Thin Air – Jon Krakauer
Audiobook performed by the author
4****

The subtitle says it all: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster . This is Krakauer’s first-person account of the Everest expedition in May 1996 that resulted in the death of six climbers, and severe injuries to several others.

In good physical condition, and attached to one of the premier guides on the mountain, Krakauer was the first to make the summit on May 10th. When he began his descent, there were still some twenty people trying to ascend to the top of Everest. He made the six-hour trek back to camp before a blizzard hit, with 70-mile-per-hour winds and blinding snow. Exhausted and fuzzy-headed from hypoxia he collapsed in his tent. The next morning, he learned that six of his teammates had not made it back. Efforts to rescue them were hampered by lack of oxygen, lack of coordination between rival guides, and continued bad weather.

I’ve read two of Krakauer’s other books and enjoy his writing. He has a gift for putting the reader in the situation, and I think he works hard to present a balanced story, including pluses and minuses, strengths and weaknesses of the people involved and the situations they face. He lays out the story in a way that is compelling and interesting, even when the reader knows the outcome. That being said, I simply do not understand the drive of people to “achieve” these kinds of feats. It saddens me to read of such a waste of talent.

Krakauer narrates the audio version himself. He does an admirable job. It cannot have been easy for him to relive the events.

LINK to my review

Ferris Mx | 11 comments It's one of my favorite outdoors book. And it put my off my fantasy of ever climbing Everest :) Even the ascent to base camp sounds miserable.