New Adult Book Club discussion

Julie Oleszek
This topic is about Julie Oleszek
Author Q+A's > Q&A with Julie Oleszek

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LeAnn (new)

LeAnn (leannelizabeth)

Hey NABC! It's time for another Q&A! This week we have the lovely Julie Oleszek joining us to answer your questions. Julie is the author of The Fifth Floor and Just Like Ziggy. Leave your questions for her below! <3

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (blkel14) | 78 comments Does music play a role in your writing process? Do you make playlists for each book you write?

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Oleszek Hi Brittany-
Thank you for your question. Music does not play a role in my writing unless it's in the background of where I may be writing, like at a cafe. I become so focused on my writing, even then, background noises and music seem to disappear. Even as a teen I could not listen to music and complete homework at the same time. Basically, I'm not a great multi tasker. I hope this answers your question.

message 4: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Dehart | 133 comments Do you get any of your stories from your life events?

message 5: by Julie (last edited Jan 30, 2017 01:10PM) (new)

Julie Oleszek Hello Katrina,
My two novels, The Fifth Floor and Just Like Ziggy are based on life events. I am the ninth child of ten children so I know what it is like to grow up in a family filled with commotion, rivalry, and kinship. But these two novels go deeper than just growing up in a large family. When I was seven, one of my sisters died. It was difficult to understand, especially as a child. With death left to the imagination, I spent many of my childhood years in undetected grief.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Ortiz | 733 comments Who are some of your favorite authors?

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie Oleszek Hi Nicole,
I love to read and have many favorite books so I guess the authors of those books would be some of my favorite people. Liane Moriarty is hilarious. So when I need a good laugh and light hearted read, I usually pick up one of her books. Calling Me Home is one of my favorite books so I would have to say Julie Kibler is another favorite. I like Stieg Larson, Jeanette Walls, and Kristin Hannah too. I have read every single Sidney Sheldon book so Sidney was a favorite of mine. Way back in the day, I loved books by Katherine Patterson, Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, and S. E. Hinton. And of course, I must add Harper Lee because To Kill A Mockingbird is my all time favorite book.

message 8: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Cannavina | 57 comments What made you decide to start writing?

message 9: by Julie (last edited Jan 31, 2017 08:39AM) (new)

Julie Oleszek Hi Whitney,
I've always loved writing. When I was in grade school I enjoyed writing poems and keeping a diary. By the time I was in middle school, I was keeping journals, which I still continue to do today. My father wrote short stories and poetry, so I think it just might be in my blood. I decided to write professionally after twenty years of teaching because I couldn't hold back any longer. My first novel, The Fifth Floor took two and a half years to write because I was working full time. My second novel, Just Like Ziggy took just over a year. I have a passion for telling and sharing stories for readers to enjoy.