David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
This topic is about Carve the Mark
Archives (Book of the Month) > February 2017 Book of the Month - Carve the Mark

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1) by Veronica Roth Carve the Mark won for February's Book of the Month!

Spoilers are welcome but please hide them with spoiler tabs for those who have not read this book.

Enjoy!!! :)

Ms. Just One More Book  (Kris Miller) (msjustonemorebook) | 37 comments Karen wrote: "Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1) by Veronica Roth Carve the Mark won for February's Book of the Month!

Spoilers are welcome but please hide them with spoiler tabs for those who have not read thi..."

So excited to be reading my first book with y'all!

Ms. Just One More Book wrote: "Karen wrote: "Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1) by Veronica Roth Carve the Mark won for February's Book of the Month!

Spoilers are welcome but please hide them with spoiler tabs for those who hav..."

Yay!!! So happy you're joining us!!

I was able to read this early several weeks ago because I won an ARC. I read it before all the controversy came out and honestly, I didn't pick up on any of it. I thought the concept was unique with the interaction between the two MCs and while it wasn't my favorite book ever, I did enjoy it.

Nancy (paper_addict) Well all the copies are checked out at the library. We really need to stop picking brand new releases. It might take awhile to get it.

Karen, that is great you won a copy! There is controversy?

Nancy wrote: "Well all the copies are checked out at the library. We really need to stop picking brand new releases. It might take awhile to get it.

Karen, that is great you won a copy! There is controversy?"

Yea, regarding racism and disrespect towards individuals who suffer from chronic illnesses. That's from a review. There are some great articles from people like Sabaa Tabir who are disputing it though.

message 7: by Giedre (new) - added it

Giedre | 11 comments I will join you for this one as well.

message 8: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Jan 29, 2017 07:12PM) (new) - added it

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Not sure if I'll get this read in February or not (my TBR is already huge for the month!) but I'll try :)

I've heard a bit of the controversy, but I'm not reading too much about it, because I'd like to form my own opinion first. Then I'll read more about it.

Honestly, a lot of the best books ever written are full of controversy. The Adventures of Huck Finn is one that comes to mind. Or Catcher in the Rye.

Nancy (paper_addict) I have it on hold at the library. Who knows when I will get it.

:/

message 10: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Nancy wrote: "I have it on hold at the library. Who knows when I will get it.

:/"

I'm sorry Nancy :( It is a popular new release for the year, I've seen it all over BookTube and social media.

Rose (LittleBookOwl) (roselittlebookowl) | 1370 comments I'm gonna pick this one up in February with you all! Can't wait :)

message 12: by Alyson (new) - added it

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 240 comments I loved Divergent, but I'm not sure about this one...waiting on the library.

Nancy (paper_addict) I finally got this at the library. I will start this soon. I need to finish my current book.

The January book is still listed as 'Currently Reading' and not the February book.

message 14: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - added it

Fixed it :)

Catherine Bruno | 771 comments Was unsure about this one at first, but I think I'm starting to like it. There are some things I'm a little confused on and don't completely understand. But, I like the relationship building. And Ryzek is a jerk.

message 16: by Karen’s Library (last edited Feb 19, 2017 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine wrote: "Was unsure about this one at first, but I think I'm starting to like it. There are some things I'm a little confused on and don't completely understand. But, I like the relationship building. And R..."

Same here Catherine. There's one point where it all came together for me, not too far in.

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments I just finished this one on audio and I have to say that I was pretty underwhelmed after how much I loved Divergent.

Lauren wrote: "I just finished this one on audio and I have to say that I was pretty underwhelmed after how much I loved Divergent."

It was just ok for me. Not bad as I did enjoy it, but yeah, not overwhelmed.

Nancy (paper_addict) I am 2/3's through and it definitely is not a page turner like Divergent was for me. The story seems to move slowly as well.

Nancy (paper_addict) I finished. I was a little disappointed at the ending. I didn't feel like it was a complete story within a larger one. More like it just ended to finish later.

There were a few things Roth kept repeating and I felt like she needed to keep reminding the reader. As if the reader wasn't smart enough to catch on.

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Carve the Mark (other topics)