Shakespeare Fans discussion

Play Reading Schedule 2017

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candy (last edited Mar 16, 2017 11:18AM) (new)

Candy | 2728 comments Mod
Two Gentlemen From Verona , Feb 5-March 16

Henry VIIi
Act 1-March 28
Act 2- April 5
Act 3- April 13
Act 4- April 21
Act 5-April 29

Much Ado About Nothing
Act 1-May 17
Act 2-May 25
Act 3-June 2
Act 4-June9
Act 5-June 17

Antony and Cleopatra
Act 1-July 1
Act 2-July 9
Act 3-July17
Act4-July25
Act 5-August 2

Twelfth Night
Act 1-August 21
Act 2 August 29
Act 3-September 6
Act 4-September 14
Act 5-September 22

Julius Caesar
October 10-Nov 26

Henry IV
King John
Romeo and Juliet
The Merchant of Venice
MacBeth
Hamlet

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Moran | 161 comments Candy wrote: "Two Gentlemen From Verona , Feb 5-March 16"

It looks like there are some gaps. Do you think we could schedule one sonnet per week or something like that in between?

message 3: by Candy (new)

Yes, the gaps were because someone requested breathing room between the group discussions. I believe a request was made of a week or so....to switch gears or take a break.

We have discussed doing sonnets....we have a section. It's just that some folks have shared they need to get their own schedules in order....so they can work out a reading schedule for sonnets.

Thanks Jonathan I love your enthusiasm!!! I really love hearing everyones ideas and the group discussions are the highlight of my days online!!!!

message 4: by Candy (new)

Slight change of topic....but relevant overall to the reading and discussions here...

I was thinking...that in many ways most f us have been reading the sonnets in the order that we have been introduced or exposed to them...through quotes, school courses and references in secondary literature.

I'm trying to find something I read that suggested they weren't even written in numerical order, that that was perhaps edited into a temporal sequence later by Shakespeare...including when the narrator describes old age, it's possible the writer wasn't actually old at the time...?

In other news...in the spirit of Martin's message #8 ("Our Sonnet Reads" topic)...where he tells us he has sent me the order he composed for reading the Sonnets...in the case of him becoming indisposed, I could be a back up. I felt a need to also get a "back up plan."

I felt like what if I got sick, or was traveling, or was indisposed....although it's a somewhat morbid thought it is a reality....and so I reached out to Jonathan and asked if he would consider being a back up moderator.

Here is the gist of what I described as my moderator approach....which I thought might be of interest in general LOL

"I moderate with a very light touch. I've traveled all over the place, working full time....and for the most part I have not had a problem keeping up with our group. A few years ago my husband and I had a studio fire and lost all our art and belongings....and our group discussion in progress back then....was stalled and fizzled out.

But otherwise I moderate gently, setting up threads if need be checking in once a day....but sometimes only three times a week. I have not had to delete any discussion posts. (I have had to delete spam.) on the odd occasion that a couple of our members got into a sniping type of discussion I have messaged them personally to encourage them not to take things personally and resolve conflicts even if they don't agree. Sometimes we've had passive aggressive participants and I email them that their tone could be misunderstood. As examples....but overall it's been that people mark their own boundaries and self-regulate.

I don't like to set out a lot of rules because I believe inventive perspectives are able to flow if we don't place an elite sort of academia or too many rules. Shakespeare can be intimidating enough with out getting all Hierachial on each other."

Anyways...I'm glad to share that Jonathan said he was very much interested in the role, so thank you Jonathan!

message 5: by Janice (JG) (last edited Feb 21, 2017 07:38PM) (new)

Janice (JG) So, after the break, Henry VIII (not Antony and Cleopatra) is scheduled for March 28 instead of August? This is the info I see on the group's front page.

message 6: by Candy (new)

Hi Janice,

I'd have to go through the older comments to see why Henry was placed at this time.... I believe Jonathan said he was keen. And David wanted another play to line up with his schedule....

But I don't really recall the details off the top of my head. The schedule came about by responding to requests in the discussions.

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula I am confused about the next play up and the start date as well. I didn't get in on Two Gentlemen and would like to read/discuss with the group the next play. When will you post the title so we know what to expect? And why Henry VIII?

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Moran | 161 comments Paula wrote: "I am confused about the next play up and the start date as well. I didn't get in on Two Gentlemen and would like to read/discuss with the group the next play. When will you post the title so we kno..."

This is the thread where we discussed the upcoming reads.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Candy (new)

Hi Paula,

I hope the link Jonathan provided helps...and you can see how the selection evolved trying to meet a variety of participants needs and suggestions.

I am sorry if the schedule wasn't very clear....I assumed every one can see the widgets on our homepage...and I just realized now...that those widgets (images of the books/plays...up next with a schedule) don't show up on every device....they do not show up for example on y cell phone...I just didn't realize that until now as I saw your post here and took a look around at a variety of devices.

So...I have also edited the #1 here in this thread...to list the next few plays and the dates associated with the Acts and reading per week.

Thanks for persevering...and coming back on here to let us know the situation was still not clear.

I am always trying to learn new ways to organize this...and having a new co-moderator with Jonathan...is a great help and I find I am much more on-my-toes...with your help Paula...and all of the participants telling us what they need and prefer...we will do our best...

life-long learning!!

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula Candy wrote: "Hi Paula,

I hope the link Jonathan provided helps...and you can see how the selection evolved trying to meet a variety of participants needs and suggestions.

I am sorry if the schedule wasn't ver..."

Candy, I could see the widget just fine on the Group Home page for Henry VIII "up next." That is why I was confused; that contradicted what I saw in the "reading schedule" contained in the group discussion I was reading at the time. In this discussion, at the top of the page, I see you have listed Henry VII (sic) as being next up. So I think I see that Henry (VIII) will be the next play.
I will assume that what I'm seeing at the top of this page is the revised reading schedule. Please correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption. Thank you.

message 11: by Martin (new)

Martin | 39 comments I think Candy needs to correct "Henry VII", Paula.

;-)

message 12: by Candy (new)

I will correct that....sorry.

And the plays inside this thread and the other thread all needed amending.

I'm so glad you all brought that to my attention and I hope I have fixed it.

I juggle a lot of activities....so sometimes I make mistakes....please don't be shy about asking!!!

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula Martin wrote: "I think Candy needs to correct "Henry VII", Paula.

;-)"

She needn't do it for me. I figured it was a simple typo. Others may get confused, however, since there's another Henry play listed. Thanks, Martin

message 14: by Candy (new)

It's all good and easy to fix. Thanks again for alerting me to this stuff.

message 15: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Tyler (doulton) Can you explain the ways in which you are selecting the plays? And is there a schedule beyond "Much Ado?"

message 16: by Candy (new)

Basically, people posted what plays they were interested in reading.

After "Much Ado" in the list (post #1 here)
are Anthony and Cleopatra, Twelfth Night and Julius Caesar....

then....penciled in are...Henry IV,King John ,Romeo and Juliet ,The Merchant of Venice ,MacBeth ,Hamlet

message 17: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 97 comments Are we still on for Much Ado? The suspense is killing me.

message 18: by Candy (new)

Yes we are. Would you like to be discussion leader Phil?

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 97 comments If by "lead" you mean "display my lack of knowledge" then sure.

message 20: by Candy (new)

Of course thats what we mean! Perfect LOL

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula I have seen the schedule for reading the play "Twelfth Night." Is there a link set up on which we can discuss the play a week at a time as we read? Another group I belong to provides this, remembering to give our fellow members a heads-up for spoilers.

message 22: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) Paula wrote: "I have seen the schedule for reading the play "Twelfth Night." Is there a link set up on which we can discuss the play a week at a time as we read? Another group I belong to provides this, remember..."

I think Candy is the lone Mod here, and she has been buried with work tasks. I'm waiting to start Twelfth Night also. I'm sure she will try to get back here as soon as she can to set up a thread. Maybe she should send out a call for some co-moderators to help her with her threads.

message 23: by Martin (last edited Aug 29, 2017 02:38AM) (new)

Martin | 39 comments In view of the demand, I've started the Twelfth Night read. I'm sure Candy won't mind. (We will have to run a week behind schedule.)

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula Martin wrote: "In view of the demand, I've started the Twelfth Night read. I'm sure Candy won't mind. (We will have to run a week behind schedule.)"
Thank you, Martin. I began reading the play on the original schedule but will be sure not to include spoilers in my comments regarding Acts and Scenes which have not come up yet .

message 25: by Candy (new)

Sorry about that.

I think I'm back to "normal"...not that that is saying much LOL

But I got some messages out regarding the Sonnets...I'll send one about the play 12th Night etc.

Glad to be back!

message 26: by Paula (new)

Paula Candy wrote: "Sorry about that.

I think I'm back to "normal"...not that that is saying much LOL

But I got some messages out regarding the Sonnets...I'll send one about the play 12th Night etc.

Glad to be back!"

Thanks for including these updates. Also, for giving them names which point to the title of the play, the act which we're reading and the start date. Makes it easy to locate and know we're in the right thread.

message 27: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) I'm looking forward to reading Julius Caesar, but I was wondering if we know which play we will be reading after Caesar in November? I will be traveling, and need to know which play to bring with me.

message 28: by Candy (new)

I am not sure right now. Unfortunately I've had a heavy work load....and unable to post my thoughts to Twelfth Night...although I did read it.
I'll take a look Janice...