The Next Best Book Club discussion

Bowie (2017) Reading Challenge > K's 2017 Bowie Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K. (new)

K. Olson “There is a Happy Land” – Read a book with a child protagonist, Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller
“When I Live My Dream” – Read a fantasy novel, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Silly Boy Blue” – Read a book that explores religion, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Join the Gang” – Read a book that features a gang of some sort, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Janine” – Read a book with a female protagonist, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“An Occasional Dream” – Read a book about a break-up , Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“After All” – Read a book that has a sad ending, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“Quicksand” – Read a book about despair or in which a character is disillusioned, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“African Night Flight” – Read a book written by a person of color, The Mothers by Brit Bennett
“Red Sails” – Read a book that takes place on a ship or boat or features one as a means of transportation, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Cat People (Putting Out the Fire)” – Read a book which features a fire or revolves around fire, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Tonight” – Read a book in which one of the characters die, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Blue Jean” – Read a book that is a throwback to another decade, Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller
“Opening Titles including Underground” – Read a book that’s been turned into a movie, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“Never Let Me Down” – Read a book in which a character places their faith in something, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“I Feel Free” – Read a book, any book, and take credit for reading it, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Black Tie White Noise” – Read a book that takes place in Los Angeles, The Mothers by Brit Bennett
“Pallas Athena” – Read a book that deals with religion, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt“Miracle Goodnight” – Read a book that kept you up way past your bedtime, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Untitled No. 1” – Free Space Read: Read any book and take credit here, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“We Prick You” – Read a book with a sex scene, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Telling Lies” – Read a book in which the narrator is unreliable, Wuthering Heights by Charlotte Bronte
“Law (Earthlings on Fire)” – Read a book about regrets, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“If I’m Dreaming My Life” – Read a book in which dreams are prominently featured, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“I Would Be Your Slave” – Read a love story, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Untitled No. 1” – Free Space Read: Read any book and take credit here, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Never Get Old” – Read a book that was written in a previous century, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“The Loneliest Guy” – Read a book that features a hermit or anti-social character, Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller
“Looking For Water” – Read a book that features water in some way, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Dirty Boys” – Read a book that is FULL of characters, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“If You Can See Me” – Read a book in which the main character is especially vulnerable, Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller
“(You Will) Set the World on Fire” – Read a book with the word fire in the title or that prominently features a fire, The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“God Bless the Girl” – Read a book written by a female author, The Mothers by Brit Bennett

message 2: by K. (new)

K. Olson “Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)” – Read a book with monsters or demons in it; “Lady Grinning Soul” – Read a book with a creepy sounding title; “Glass Spider” – Read a horror novel (bonus: if it has a spider in it); “Fame” – Read a book that is considered experimental; “Chilly Down” – Read a book that makes a chill run down your spine; “Afraid” – Read a book that others were scared by - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

“It Ain’t Easy” – Read a book that is a rewrite of an older book; “Time Will Crawl” – Read a book that seemed to take forever to finish; “Bleed Like a Craze, Dad” – Read a book that takes inspiration from another book; “Slow Burn” – Read a book that slowly angered or annoyed you; “Pablo Picasso” – Read a book that is about art or features a character who is an artist or works with art in some way - Shylock Is My Name by Howard Jacobson

“Hang on to Yourself” – Read a book about someone who has lost themselves; “Friday on My Mind” – Read a book cover to cover over the course of one weekend; “Watch That Man” – Read a book that features a lot of partying“Time” – Read a book in which time is manipulable or that focuses heavily on time; “The Prettiest Star” – Read a book with an adjective in the title - The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald

“The Jean Genie” – Read a book that packs a punch - Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller

“Where Have All the Good Times Gone” – Read a book that makes you feel nostalgic - Some Luck by Jane Smiley

“Who Can I Be Now?” – Read a book that defies genre; “I Know it’s Gonna Happen Someday” – Read a book in which nothing much seems to happen; “The Wedding Song” – Read a book in which a wedding takes place - Middlemarch by George Elliott

“Telling Lies” – Read a book in which the narrator is unreliable - Wuthering Heights by Charlotte Bronte

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10035 comments Mod
Wow! You've read that many books already this year????

message 4: by K. (new)

K. Olson LOL- it's been a long, cold winter.

message 5: by K. (new)

K. Olson “Zeroes” – Read a book whose final page number ends in a 0 - The Tilted World by Tom Franklin and Beth Ann Fennelly

message 6: by K. (new)

K. Olson “Shining Star (Makin’ My Love)” – Read a western or a book that takes place in the wild west - News of the World by Paulette Jiles

message 7: by K. (new)

K. Olson “China Girl” – Read a book written by a Chinese author or that takes place in China Dragon Springs Road by Janie Chang

message 8: by K. (new)

K. Olson “Bombers” – Read a book about nuclear war or a book that features an apocalypse - The Road by Cormac McCarthy

message 9: by K. (new)

K. Olson “Pallas Athena” – Read a book that deals with religion - The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm saving this for 2018.

message 11: by K. (new)

K. Olson Challenge finals:
DAVID BOWIE (1967)
“Uncle Arthur” – Read a book with a man’s name in the title - A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
“Sell Me a Coat” – Read a book that takes place in winter - At the Water’s Edge by Sara Gruen
“Rubber Band” – Read a book about a musician/band or that prominently features one - The Guts by Roddy Doyle
“There is a Happy Land” – Read a book with a child protagonist -
Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall
“We Are Hungry Men” – Read a book about a global catastrophe -
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
“When I Live My Dream” – Read a fantasy novel - The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
“Little Bombadier” – Read a book that is drenched in cynicism and suspicion - Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
“Silly Boy Blue” – Read a book that explores religion - The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Come and Buy My Toys” – Read a YA book - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
“Join the Gang” – Read a book that features a gang of some sort -
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
“She’s Got Medals” – Read a LGBTQ book Adult Onset by Ann-Marie MacDonald
“Maids of Bond Street” – Read a book that features a celebrity or is written by a celebrity - Wildflower by Drew Barrymore
“Please Mr. Gravedigger” – Read a book about murder, or that prominently features a murder - An American Tragedy by Theodore Dresier

message 12: by K. (new)

K. Olson SPACE ODDITY (1969)
“Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed” – Read a book about grieving - In Search of Solace by Emily Mackie
“Letter to Hermione” – Read a book written in the form of diary entries or letters - Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg
“Cygnet Committee” – Read a book that uses alliteration in its title - Rabbit, Run by John Updike
“Janine” – Read a book with a female protagonist - Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante
“An Occasional Dream” – Read a book about a break-up - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud” – Read a fantasy novel with a child protagonist - The Shadows in the Wind by Carlos Ruiz
“God Knows I’m Good” – Read a book about a character who is just scraping by - Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
“Memory of a Free Festival” – Read a book about someone having a bad day - Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky

message 13: by K. (new)

K. Olson THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD (1970)
“Width of a Circle” – Read a book that features a monster (real or imagined) - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
“All the Madmen” – Read a book that deals with mental illness -
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
“Black Country Rock” – Read a parody or satire - Animal Farm by George Orwell
“After All” – Read a book that has a sad ending - House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
“Saviour Machine” – Read a book in which technology becomes sentient - 1984 by George Orwell
“She Shook Me Cold” – Read a book that contains bad sex scenes - Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante
“The Man Who Sold the World” – Read a book that leaves itself open for interpretation - The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

message 14: by K. (new)

K. Olson  HUNKY DORY (1971)
“Changes” – Read an angsty book - Go Tell It On the Mountain by James Baldwin
“Oh! You Pretty Things” – Read a book with a punctuation in the title - Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
“Eight Line Poem” – Read a collection of poetry - Voices on the Wind by Celtic women poets
“Kooks” – Read a book about parenthood or that revolves around parenting - Adult Onset by Ann-Marie MacDonald
“Quicksand” – Read a book about despair or in which a character is disillusioned - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“Fill Your Heart” - Read a book that is co-authored - The Tilted World by Tom Franklin and Beth Ann Fennelly
“Queen Bitch” – Read a book about a seedy underground lifestyle - A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
“Bombers” – Read a book about nuclear war or a book that features an apocalypse - The Road by Cormac McCarthy

message 15: by K. (new)

K. Olson THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS (1972)
“Five Years” – Read a book that spans a long period of time - Some Luck by Jane Smiley
“It Ain’t Easy” – Read a book that is a rewrite of an older book -
Shylock Is My Name by Howard Jacobson
“Lady Stardust” – Read a book that is set in the trippy 1970’s -
Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson
“Star” – Read a book about a person on the verge of something big or features a character’s big break - The Paris Wife by Paula McClain
“Hang on to Yourself” – Read a book about someone who has lost themselves - The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald
“Ziggy Stardust” – Read a book that is known as an author’s attempt to ‘reinvent’ themselves (or a book published under a pseudonym) - Middlemarch by George Elliot

message 16: by K. (new)

K. Olson ALADDIN SANE (1973)
“Watch That Man” – Read a book that features a lot of partying -
The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald
“Aladdin Sane” – Read a book about a “lost” or past generation -
The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
“Panic in Detroit” – Read a book about political turmoil - A Place of Greater Safety by Hillary Mantel
“Cracked Actor” – Read a book that features a character who is losing their mind - Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
“Time” – Read a book in which time is manipulable or that focuses heavily on time - The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald
“The Prettiest Star” – Read a book with an adjective in the title -
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
“The Jean Genie” – Read a book that packs a punch - Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller
“Lady Grinning Soul” – Read a book with a creepy sounding title -
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

message 17: by K. (new)

K. Olson  PIN UPS (1973)
“Rosalyn” -Read a book about teenage lust/obsession - The Shadows in the Wind by Carlos Ruiz
“I wish You Would” – Read a book that reads like a country song -
Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante
“See Emily Play” – Read a play - The Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare
“Everything’s Alright” – Read a book in which everything turns out alright - The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“I Can’t Explain” – Read a book that made absolutely no sense -
Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
“Friday on My Mind” – Read a book cover to cover over the course of one weekend - The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
“Sorrow” – Read a book that makes you cry - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
“Don’t Bring Me Down” – Read a book that makes you ragey - 1984 by George Orwell
“Where Have All the Good Times Gone” – Read a book that makes you feel nostalgic - Some Luck by Jane Smiley

message 18: by K. (new)

K. Olson DIAMOND DOGS (1974)
“Future Legend” – Read a novelette - The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
“Diamond Dogs” – Read a book whose primary character(s) are animals - Animal Farm by George Orwell
“Sweet Thing” – Read a book about city living - The Shadows in the Wind by Carlos Ruiz
“Rebel Rebel” – Read a book that features a jaded protagonist - In Search of Solace by Emily Mackie
“1984” – Read a classic novel - Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
“Big Brother” – Read the last novel in a series - Golden Age by Jane Smiling

message 19: by K. (new)

K. Olson YOUNG AMERICANS (1975)
“Young Americans” – Read a YA or NA novel - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
“Win” – Read a book that you won or were gifted - The Girl in the Blue Beret by Bobbie Ann Mason
“Fascination” – Read a book by an author you are fascinated by -
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“Right” – Read a book that someone recommended to you because they knew you would love it - Shadows of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz
“Across the Universe” – Read a book in which the main character has to travel a long distance - The Road by Cormac McCarthy
“Fame” – Read a book that is considered experimental -
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
“Who Can I Be Now?” – Read a book that defies genre -
Middlemarch by George Elliot
“It’s Gonna Be Me” – Read a book that is full of regrets - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“John, I’m Only Dancing (again)” – Read a book that’s set in a foreign country - The Shadow Land by Elizabeth Kostova
“After Today” – Read a book that takes place in the future -
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

message 20: by K. (new)

K. Olson  STATION TO STATION (1976)
“Station to Station” – Read a book that is basically a stream of consciousness - Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
“Golden Years” – Read a book with a color in the title - The Girl in the Blue Beret by Bobbie Ann Mason
“Word on a Wing” – Read a book that pokes fun at religion - Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson
“Wild is the Wind” – Read a book that takes place mostly outdoors - The Road by Cormac McCarthy

message 21: by K. (new)

K. Olson LOW (1977)
“Breaking Glass” – Read a short story - Davy Byrnes Stories
“What in the World” – Read a book that’s told from multiple perspectives - In Search of Solace by Emily Mackie
“Always Crashing in the Same Car” – Read a road-trip book - Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson
“Be My Wife” – Read a book with Wife in the title - The Paris Wife by Paula McClain
“Warszawa” – Read a book that takes place in a foreign city - I, Claudius by Robert Graves
“Subterraneans” – Read a book about someone or a group of people who have been left behind - Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante

message 22: by K. (new)

K. Olson HEROES (1977)
“Joe the Lion” - Read a body-horror novel, or a book that contains some gory scenes - The Road by Cormac McCarthy
“Sons of the Silent Age” – Read an historical fiction book - A Place of Greater Safety by Hillary Mantel
“Blackout” – Read a book that features a protagonist who blackouts or abuses drugs regularly - Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
“The Secret Life of Arabia” – Read a book in which the protagonist is keeping secrets - Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky

message 23: by K. (new)

K. Olson LODGER (1979)
“Fantastic Voyage” – Read a book that features an older (bonus point for grumpy/cranky) protagonist - A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
“African Night Flight” – Read a book written by a person of color -
The Mothers by Brit Bennett
“Move On” – Read a book that features someone who is constantly on the move - The Road by Cormac McCarthy
“Yassassin (Turkish For Long Live)” – Read a book about migrant workers or someone who hops from job to job - Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto
“Red Sails” – Read a book that takes place on a ship or boat or features one as a means of transportation - The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Look Back in Anger” – Read a book in which angels are characters or features angels in some way - The Shadows in the Wind by Carlos Ruiz
“Boys Keep Swinging” – Read a book about drag queens or that features a character or characters who dress in drag - The Shadows in the Wind by Carlos Ruiz

message 24: by K. (new)

K. Olson  SCARY MONSTERS (1980)
“It’s No Game (Parts 1&2)” – Read a book that is set during a time of protest or political upheaval - A Place of Greater Safety by Hillary Mantel
“Up the Hill Backwards” – Read a book that is told out of sequence - Go Tell It On the Mountain by James Baldwin
“Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)” – Read a book with monsters or demons in it - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
“Ashes to Ashes” – Read a book that is a follow up or sequel -
Early Warning by Jane Smiley
“Fashion” – Read a book set in the 80’s - The Girl in the Blue Beret by Bobbie Ann Mason
“Teenage Wildlife” – Read a book that revolves around a group of teenagers - Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
“Kingdom Come” – Read a book that features a jail or prison -
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky

message 25: by K. (new)

K. Olson LET’S DANCE (1983)
“China Girl” – Read a book written by a Chinese author or that takes place in China - Dragon Springs Road by Janie Chang
“Let’s Dance” – Read an author’s biggest hit - The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
“Criminal World” – Read a book by an author who is, or features a character who is, bisexual - Women in Love by D H Lawrence
“Cat People (Putting Out the Fire)” – Read a book which features a fire or revolves around fire - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

message 26: by K. (new)

K. Olson TONIGHT (1984)
“Loving the Alien” – Read a book about a conspiracy theory - Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson
“Don’t Look Down” – Read a book about a character who finds himself in a bad situation - Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
“Tonight” – Read a book in which one of the characters die - The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
“Neighborhood Threat” – Read a book in which something or someone terrorizes a neighborhood or group of people - The Shadows in the Wind by Carlos Ruiz
“Blue Jean” – Read a book that is a throwback to another decade -
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
“Tumble and Twirl” – Read a book about travel or that features a character who travels - The Girl in the Blue Beret by Bobbie Ann Mason
“I Keep Forgetting” – Read a book that you keep forgetting to pick up once you put it down - Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
“Dancing with the Big Boys” – Read a book with boys in the title or that focuses on a group of boys - A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

message 27: by K. (new)

K. Olson LABYRINTH (1986)
“Opening Titles including Underground” – Read a book that’s been turned into a movie - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“Chilly Down” – Read a book that makes a chill run down your spine - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
“As the World Falls Down” – Read a book about the end of the world - The Road by Cormac McCarthy
“Within You” – Read a book in which a character has multiple ‘personalities’ within themselves - In Search of Solace by Emily Mackie

message 28: by K. (new)

K. Olson  NEVER LET ME DOWN (1987)
“Day In Day Out” – Read a book that takes place over the course of one day - Go Tell It On the Mountain by James Baldwin
“Time Will Crawl” – Read a book that seemed to take forever to finish - Shylock Is My Name by Howard Jacobson
“Beat of Your Own Drum” – Read a book that is unlike anything you’ve read before - Wildflower by Drew Barrymore
“Never Let Me Down” – Read a book in which a character places their faith in something - The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Zeroes” – Read a book whose final page number ends in a 0 - The Tilted World by Tom Franklin and Beth Ann Fennelly
“Glass Spider” – Read a horror novel (bonus: if it has a spider in it) - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
“Shining Star (Makin’ My Love)” – Read a western or a book that takes place in the wild west - News of the World by Paulette Jiles
“New York’s In Love” – Read a book by an author who is from or currently resides in New York - Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson

message 29: by K. (new)

K. Olson BLACK TIE WHITE NOISE (1993)
“You’ve Been Around” – Read a book that has a profound effect on you - An American Tragedy by Theodore Dresier
“I Feel Free” – Read a book, any book, and take credit for reading it - The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Black Tie White Noise” – Read a book that takes place in Los Angeles - The Mothers by Brit Bennett
“Nite Flights” – Read a book in which an airplane is used as a mode of travel - The Girl in the Blue Beret by Bobbie Ann Mason
“Pallas Athena” – Read a book that deals with religion - Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
“Miracle Goodnight” – Read a book that kept you up way past your bedtime - The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Don’t Let Me Down & Down” – Read a translation - A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
“I Know it’s Gonna Happen Someday” – Read a book in which nothing much seems to happen - Rabbit, Run by John Updike
“The Wedding Song” – Read a book in which a wedding takes place - Middlemarch by George Elliot
“Lucy Can’t Dance” – Read a book that can be considered “brain candy” (a quick, easy, enjoyable read) - Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson

message 30: by K. (new)

K. Olson BUDDHA OF SUBURBIA (1993)
“Bleed Like a Craze, Dad” – Read a book that takes inspiration from another book - Shylock Is My Name by Howard Jacobson
“Strangers When We Meet” – Read a book by a previously-unknown-to-you author - Shadows of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz
“Dead Against It” – Read a book you had initially refused to read -
Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
“Untitled No. 1” – Free Space Read: Read any book and take credit here - The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt

message 31: by K. (new)

K. Olson  OUTSIDE (1995)
“Leon Takes Us Outside” – Read a book that contains diary or date entries - Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg
“Outside” – Read a book in which all of the action takes place outside - The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
“A Small Plot of Land” – Read a book that is long and punishing yet unputdownable - Moby Dick by Herman Melville
“Baby Grace (A Horrid Cassette)” – Read a mystery novel - Mr. Churchill’s Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal
“I Have Not Been To Oxford” – Read a book that takes place in a city or country you have not yet been to - Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto
“No Control” – Read a book that someone recommended to you -
The Girl in the Blue Beret by Bobbie Ann Mason
“Algeria Touchshriek” – Read a book in which the title is the character’s name - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
“The Voyeur of Utter Destruction (As Beauty)” – Read a book that features torture of some sort - A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
“We Prick You” – Read a book with a sex scene - The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Nathan Adler” – Read a detective novel - Sherlock Holmes Secret in Scarlet
“I’m Deranged” – Read a book that features a crazy ass protagonist - Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
“Thru These Architect’s Eyes” – Read a book that uses punctuation oddly - A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

message 32: by K. (new)

K. Olson EARTHLING (1997)
“Little Wonder” – Read a book about someone who is haunted by their past - The Girl in the Blue Beret by Bobbie Ann Mason
“Battle for Britain (The Letter)” – Read a book that takes place in Britain - Middlemarch by George Elliot
“Seven Years in Tibet” – Read a book that takes place over a long period of time - Golden Age by Jane Smiley
“Dead Man Walking” – Read a book that required many rewrites before being published - A Place of Greater Safety by Hillary Mantel
“Telling Lies” – Read a book in which the narrator is unreliable -
The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford
“The Last Thing You Should Do” – Take credit for a book you DNF’d - Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
“I’m Afraid of Americans” – Read a book by a non-american author - Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
“Law (Earthlings on Fire)” – Read a book about regrets - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

message 33: by K. (new)

K. Olson HOURS (1999)
“Survive” – Read a book about survival or in which a character beat the odds - The Road by Cormac McCarthy
“If I’m Dreaming My Life” – Read a book in which dreams are prominently featured - The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Seven” – Read a book with a number in the title - 1984 by George Orwell

message 34: by K. (new)

K. Olson  Heathen (2002)
“Sunday” – Read a book that is narrated by a survivor of some apocalypse - The Road by Cormac McCarthy
“Cactus” – Read a western - Death Comes To the Archbishop by Willa Cather
“Slow Burn” – Read a book that slowly angered or annoyed you -
Shylock Is My Name by Howard Jacobson
“Afraid” – Read a book that others were scared by - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
“I Would Be Your Slave” – Read a love story - The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Everyone Says Hi” – Read a book that deals with death - Death Comes To the Archbishop by Willa Cather
“Heathen” – Read a book about a main character who has lost their faith/is faithless - Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson

message 35: by K. (new)

K. Olson REALITY (2003)
“New Killer Star” – Read a book that takes place in New York City - Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson
“Pablo Picasso” – Read a book that is about art or features a character who is an artist or works with art in some way - Shylock Is My Name by Howard Jacobson
“Never Get Old” – Read a book that was written in a previous century - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“The Loneliest Guy” – Read a book that features a hermit or anti-social character - The Shadows in the Wind by Carlos Ruiz
“Looking For Water” – Read a book that features water in some way - The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“Days” – Read a book in which someone takes advantage or is taken advantage of - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
“Fall Dog Bombs the Moon” – Read a book that has a title that appears to be gibberish
“Try Some, Buy Some” – Read a book that is set in, or written in, the 60’s. - Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
“Reality” – Read a book that deals with issues that mirror those we are currently dealing with - Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

message 36: by K. (new)

K. Olson THE NEXT DAY (2013)
“Dirty Boys” – Read a book that is FULL of characters - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
“Love is Lost” – Read a book that is narrated by one’s older self -
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
“Where Are We Now?” – Read a book in which the main protagonist is lost (physically or mentally) - Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
“Valentine’s Day” – Read a book that is written on or around a holiday - A Christmas Home by Greg Kincaid
“If You Can See Me” – Read a book in which the main character is especially vulnerable - House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
“How Does the Grass Grow?” – Read a book with a military theme - The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
“(You Will) Set the World on Fire” – Read a book with the word fire in the title or that prominently features a fire - The Unbroken Line of the Moon by Joanne Hildebrandt
“You Feel So Lonely You Could Die” – Read a book that gives you all the feels - Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

message 37: by K. (new)

K. Olson  THE NEXT DAY (EXTRA) (2013)
“The Informer” – Read a book that features a hitman of sorts - The Maltese Falcon by Dashiel Hammett
“Like a Rocket Man” – Read a book that was written in or takes place in the 20th century - The Tilted World by Tom Franklin and Beth Ann Fennelly
“God Bless the Girl” – Read a book written by a female author -
The Mothers by Brit Bennett
“So She” – Read a book told from a female’s point of view -
Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson

message 38: by K. (new)

K. Olson BLACKSTAR (2016)
“’Tis a Pity She Was a Whore” – Read a book that features prostitution - Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
“Sue (or In a Season of Crime) – Read a straight up who-dun-it novel - Sherlock Holmes Secret in Scarlet
“I Can’t Give Everything Away” – Read a book that someone gave to you - The Girl in the Blue Beret by Bobbie Ann Mason

message 39: by K. (new)

K. Olson Thanks for a great challenge. I didn't complete all the titles - no space aliens, superheroes, zombies, ghost-stories, space travel, gibberish titles and more. I did double up on matches as many books applied to many titles. I wish I could say I read a book that "rocked my world", but although I read some really good books, none did. 2018 will have me focusing less on book challenges and more on reducing my TBR shelves. Hope your 2018 is blessed with reads that do "rock your world"

message 40: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10035 comments Mod
Thanks for playing along with the challenge K!

I didn't complete any albums, sadly. I came close to completing a few, but I just couldn't get some of the books I read to fit into the titles that were left unclaimed. (I read advance copies, mostly, so I read, then match it to a title, rather than try to pick a title to read by song title...)