Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

The Writing Process > A funny thing happened on the way to writing this book...

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carole (last edited Jan 27, 2017 07:03PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4600 comments Mod
Today I finished the final edits and research on If You Were Me and Lived in...Germany. I couldn't find anyone who spoke German and could double-check my pronunciation, as well as fact check my information. I ended up finding a German restaurant and had a great time with a waitress from Oldenburg who not only helped with the book, but ended up providing me with a superb German meal. I ate most of the delicious foods included in the book!
Do you have an interesting story about researching or writing your book?

message 2: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee I don't have an interesting story, but good idea; and good conversation, and a good meal to boot:)

message 3: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Boley (bernard_boley) | 27 comments Carole wrote: "Today I finished the final edits and research on If You Were Me and Lived in...Germany. I couldn't find anyone who spoke German and could double-check my pronunciation, as well as fact check my inf..."

Did you manage to finish your book or did it turn out to be the main plot of your next one?

message 4: by Carole (new)

The series is a kid's introduction to culture around the world, so it is almost finished and onto Cuba next. Yummmm.

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1490 comments Mod
I was actually just speaking to a local German teacher about this book and she is very excited for it to come out! She teaches k-8th grade and your books are perfect for some of the younger ones. I love this series and my daughter has been enjoying it too.

message 6: by Carole (new)

Thanks Erica. I love doing them and learn so much about the world when I do. If you pm the address I'll send some books for you to give the teacher.

message 7: by Clint (new)

Clint Forgy (clintforgy) | 18 comments Carole wrote: "Cuba next. Yummmm."

Cuba next because the food is Yummmm.?

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Clint wrote: "Carole wrote: "Cuba next. Yummmm."

Cuba next because the food is Yummmm.?"

Surely you mean the rum, that's more important than the food.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peacock-Smith | 9 comments My funny thing that happened while writing my book:

message 10: by Carole (new)

Alex wrote: "Clint wrote: "Carole wrote: "Cuba next. Yummmm."

Cuba next because the food is Yummmm.?"

Surely you mean the rum, that's more important than the food."

These books are rated G for general audience. Ymmm, because the next book takes me to a Cuban restaurant to verify the facts. You wouldn't believe where I had to go for If You Were Me and Lived on...Mars.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments I'm hoping you're going to say Mars, for authenticity's sake. Plus that would be cool.

message 12: by Carole (new)

Been there, done that. lol. Finishing Germany, Mayan Empire, Cuba and ready to start looking for another destination.

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Yay for the Mayans, I love all the ancient South American cultures, Aztecs, Mayans, Incans (I really want to visit Macchu Picchu) and the mysterious Chacopayans.

message 14: by Carole (new)

It was fascinating. I love my job.

message 15: by Nely (new)

Nely Cab (nelycab) | 66 comments When I wrote the second book for my series, I really needed help with the genetics of my character because I needed to make her believable but also fantastical. At the time, my brother was in college and one of his professors happened to be a geneticist. I asked my brother to ask if the scientist would be able to help me, and I was so happy when he said yes. HOWEVER, he was so busy that I had to literally stalk him at his office, over the phone, email, etc etc for about a month before I got a hold of him. I'm sure he thought I was nuts, but I couldn't finish the book without his help, and i couldn't find another geneticist. To thank him, I gave the geneticist in my book a lighting bolt earring like he wore and gave him his last name too.

As for Mayans..... My father in law is of Mayan decent (Cab is my married name, which means honey and/or earth). I've traveled to Yucatan twice, and I'll probably will visit more now. My mother-in-law (not of Mayan decent) who was taught by her mother-in-law has taught me how to make some of the traditional Mayan dishes. My father-in-law speaks Mayan, so I have an open door to Mayan culture, and I love it.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peacock-Smith | 9 comments Jennifer wrote: "My funny thing that happened while writing my book: "

What? Where did my story dissapear to? I was telling you that while writing my nonfiction books I wanted to check some family history for accuracy and joined a huge Facebook group. I was found among thousands of people by a distant cousin that I didn't know existed. She is also an author, has moved to Tuscany (where we were visiting a few months later and so we got to visit her) and we have so much in common. So special! :)

message 17: by Carole (new)

Those are great stories. Nely, can I send your father-in-law my manuscript about Mayan culture to check pronunciations? I was worried about that. I have been searching for someone to authenticate but haven't found anyone so far.

message 18: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee I'm still waiting for my books to arrive so I can give them to my friend's little boy and his little circle. I forgot what country I ordered, LOL! Anyway, I know they're going to like them.

message 19: by Carole (new)

Thanks Groovy!!

message 20: by Nely (new)

Nely Cab (nelycab) | 66 comments Carole, my FIL is computer/technology illiterate. But my cousin-in-law is proficient in Mayan and he can help. If you want to send me an email, I'll fwd it to him and ask him for help. I might even be able to get some voice messages to you :)

message 21: by Carole (new)

Sounds great- It's being edited now- I'll get it ready tomorrow. I am so excited. I didn't know where I was going to get help for this one.

message 22: by Nely (new)

Nely Cab (nelycab) | 66 comments All you had to do was ask the universe.

message 23: by Carole (new)

Did you know that's the name of my son's self-help book? Just Ask the Universe? If you didn't, I hear Twilight Zone music right now.

I did think that when I saw your post, hahah

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie Gerber | 189 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "Did you know that's the name of my son's self-help book? Just Ask the Universe? If you didn't, I hear Twilight Zone music right now.

I did think that when I saw your post, hahah"

That is an awesome book! Funny coincidence or fan?!

message 25: by Nely (new)

Nely Cab (nelycab) | 66 comments No, I didn't know that was one of the titles of his books. That's pretty weird. But then again I've been known to initiate Twilight Zone music scenarios. Lol! ;)

message 26: by Carole (new)

hahahah

message 27: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1490 comments Mod
This isn't necessarily funny, just a fun fact I guess. My character for my forth children's book was inspired while coloring with sidewalk chalk with my daughter. She asked me to draw an animal and when I was done it hit me. Book 4! I took a picture on my phone and have used it as inspiration while working on my book.

message 28: by Carole (new)

That's a great story. It made me smile.

message 29: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Don't you just love it when something sparks an idea, and before you know it, it's a book? :)

message 30: by Carole (new)

Yes!!!

message 31: by Ben (new)

Ben Jackson | 318 comments Well, when I was writing How To Survive The Zombie Apocalypse, I was attacked by walkers! Seriously! Not seriously, but would have been an exciting story to add to this thread!

message 32: by Carole (new)

They got to you too????

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread