Ender's Game 2017 discussion

30 views
Chapter 4-7

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?


message 2: by Vivian (last edited Feb 06, 2017 08:06AM) (new)

Vivian Hartwig | 8 comments I believe the characters seem real and believable because they can feel and it seems like what real people would do in this sort of situation, and always under pressure. I can really connect with the characters. Ender is always trying to figure out what do do and why things are happen.
(Viv H)


message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt Katcher | 8 comments I think the characters in the book seem real because they speak and act all individually. They each have their own personalities. Obviously I can't relate to their exact situations because I've never been in space and I'm not them. However, I have been to camps and things like that where I am away from home. I don't think many of the character remind me of myself because most are mean and rude to the other characters. I am especially not like Ender because I have never beat anyone up like he did.


message 4: by Lea (new)

Lea | 6 comments The characters seem real and believable at least to an extent to me because of how much thought is given into their actions. The author made sure to give everyone a distinct personality and even little quirks that aren't necessary in writing. Considering this is an alternate future, I would say that at some point in the story I could relate to Ender's situations. Ender reminds me of myself in the way that in elementary school I was fairly smarter than the other students and I can remember thinking, like the author and Ender, that my thoughts weren't worth less than anyone else's thoughts. Obviously Ender's traits are slightly exaggerated, but I do feel I relate to him at least a bit.


message 5: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Hartwig | 8 comments Matt wrote: "I think the characters in the book seem real because they speak and act all individually. They each have their own personalities. Obviously I can't relate to their exact situations because I've nev..."

I understand your thought process, and I agree that they seem real, but I think we can still relate. A question would be, what would you do in that situation? I would probably do something similar, but less dramatic.


message 6: by Jackson (new)

Jackson | 7 comments The characters in the story don't really relate to me that much at all but there are some people I know who are similar. But I do think that this characters are somewhat believable to some limits of the story.


message 7: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 8 comments The characters in this story do not seem realistic to me although they do show some similarities to me. Like how competitive they are. But they are really smart, too smart to be realistic. Now a days not a single person would waste money to take kids to a different planet to be a war commander. Plus no kids his age in real life would have the guts to go to a different planet with no connection to his family. And in the book there is like 100 and more kids up there. Plus all the kids have technology that can freeze a human. Who would trust a kid with that. "And there was a pistol within. A laser gun, it looked like, since the end was solid,clear glass. But surely they wouldn't let children have a lethal weapon..." (Card 39). Even the kids thought they wouldn't be able to use them, but they still did.


message 8: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 8 comments Jackson wrote: "The characters in the story don't really relate to me that much at all but there are some people I know who are similar. But I do think that this characters are somewhat believable to some limits o..."

I agree about there being limits for this realistic. Also I agree with knowing people who are like these characters. Like some of my friends are really aggressive and want to win.


message 9: by Coy (new)

Coy Sarsfield | 8 comments yes these characters seem real and believable because they live on earth for one and can live normal lives, of their chosen for it. I can relate to Enders problems because I have been around older kids and they don't let you participate in things they do. "You will stay out of the way when we're training in the battleroom," (Card 77). I think a lot of kids can relate to what Ender is feeling right now. Ender reminds me a little bit about myself because he wants to win.


message 10: by Coy (new)

Coy Sarsfield | 8 comments Matt wrote: "I think the characters in the book seem real because they speak and act all individually. They each have their own personalities. Obviously I can't relate to their exact situations because I've nev..."
What you have wrote is correct, at least i think it is. These characters are definitely realistic. Although I would say I am bit like Ender just because of his desire to win.


message 11: by Zane (new)

Zane | 7 comments Yes I think the characters seem real and believable because they live life on earth like a real human. I can relate to Ender because I have been in an area with older kids and they don't really let you participate in anything.


message 12: by Blake (last edited Feb 08, 2017 11:59AM) (new)

Blake | 8 comments I believe the characters in this book are real and believable because they go through events that seem real. Ender getting picked on because he joined an army at an early age. "I understand them, Ender. You are the best of us. Maybe they in a hurry to teach you everything" (Card 69). Mostly, I cannot relate to Ender in too many ways other than that he is very talented at something just like i am at a school subject.


message 13: by Dalton (new)

Dalton Delay | 4 comments I think they are real because hey all have to deal with certain problems and they have to use there mind and strategy to win the games against other teams.


message 14: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Hutchinson | 8 comments The characters in the story seem pretty real. The kids have feelings and emotions that are portrayed well. Ender is taken to battle school with no contact with his family. This is a very difficult thing for him to cope with, but he has to hide it because showing weakness will show the adults he's not prepared for the program. He also begins to play a game in his spare time that essentially creates all sorts of scenarios for the player to engage in. During one of these , Ender is faced with a challenge that is unwinnable, so he murders that giant that runs the game. He immediately feels bad about doing this, despite the fact that it's just a game he questions his motives and whether or not that makes him a bad person. I can relate to this, since in a lot of video games I play, I'd kill someone, then feel kind of bad about it afterward. Ender also faces a bully named Bernard who constantly pesters him. He deals with this by hacking into a chat system and sending an embarrassing message in Bernard's name. He dealt with this in a more clever way than I probably would have, I probably would have just yelled at him or something. In that way Ender seems like what I wish I could be in those scenarios. I'm typically not clever enough to come up with a complicated scheme like he was.


message 15: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Hutchinson | 8 comments Matt wrote: "I think the characters in the book seem real because they speak and act all individually. They each have their own personalities. Obviously I can't relate to their exact situations because I've nev..."

I wish I could say the same. I've gotten into a lot of arguments with other kids, and a few times it got aggressive. But at least I didn't put anyone in the hospital. :)


message 16: by Steven (new)

Steven | 4 comments I think the characters in the book seem real to me, but I dont think i can relate myself so much with them because they go into space and they also had moniters attached to there neck and that is not real to me.


message 17: by Gavyn (new)

Gavyn | 8 comments I think in some ways the characters seem real but then in other ways I don't think they are real. Ender doesn't seem real to me because it seem like he is way to advanced to be a 7 year old he speaks like he is older, learns like he is older, and acts older then he is. But then other people like Petra. She acts like a human would she is kind and thoughtful unlike the other from the salamander army. I can't really relate to there situation because I have never been to a battle school or been away from my parents for that long. Ended kind of reminds me of myself because he is competitive and wants to be the best. Also he always put in extra work to become better then some of the other


message 18: by Blake (new)

Blake | 8 comments Steven wrote: "I think the characters in the book seem real to me, but I dont think i can relate myself so much with them because they go into space and they also had moniters attached to there neck and that is n..."

I agree that the characters are real. I also cannot relate to the characters because they go into space to save the world from aliens. Very abnormal life these children in the Battle School live.


message 19: by Chase (new)

Chase | 8 comments Some characters seem real and believable not all but some. I dont think i can relate myself to the characters because they go to space to learn and fight an alien race. Very unique life these kids live.


message 20: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 8 comments Aaron wrote: "The characters in this story do not seem realistic to me although they do show some similarities to me. Like how competitive they are. But they are really smart, too smart to be realistic. Now a da..."
I do not agree with this opinion but I do understand why you could believe that. The characters are very relatable and I feel they all represent certain people that you might see in a normal environment.


message 21: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 8 comments In my opinion the characters all represent something meaningful and each character has its own purpose. Also they seem very relatable because some don't have friends and some of them have many friends, some are smart, and some are athletic. Each character is a new person and none like each other much like outside of the book in normal places like school.


message 22: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 8 comments I think the characters seem real because they display the common underdog and bully situation. Ender, a 6 year old, joins a group called the launchies and has a team of rivals up against him. The only reason he stays strong is because the leader of the group, Bernard, is afraid of Ender. Both Ender and Bernard show emotions and feelings so I do believe that the characters are real and believable. I cannot relate to their predicaments because i have never been a 6 year old who has been smarter than 10/11 year olds and being in a launch group that went into space to fight space alien buggers. Ender reminds me of the typical child that gets teased and hurt for being too smart. He is just better than most of the kids that have been there for years, and the kids are just jealous and that's why they are picking on him and being mean.


message 23: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 8 comments Vivian wrote: "In my opinion the characters all represent something meaningful and each character has its own purpose. Also they seem very relatable because some don't have friends and some of them have many frie..."
I agree with your statement, "In my opinion the characters all represent something meaningful and each character has their own purpose". They all do have meaning because each and every character adds different emotion into the story. It makes the book more interesting to know that each character kind of represents something in its own way. They do seem relatable in some ways, such as some have little friends and some have more, but in most ways they're more advanced than the usual child and highly talented individuals.


message 24: by Reid (new)

Reid | 7 comments I think the characters seem kind of believable because it is not usual in our day to have someone as young as Ender go to battle school and fight. Also I don't think they are relate-able because it is in the far future and we aren't fighting aliens. They don't really remind me of someone I know and it seems bad that Peter was making death threats to both his brother and sister. So I just don't really see anything in the that I know


message 25: by Zane (new)

Zane | 7 comments Dalton wrote: "I think they are real because hey all have to deal with certain problems and they have to use there mind and strategy to win the games against other teams."

I agree with this statement because that really happens in everyday life and we are faced with certain problems and you have to use your intelligents to figure out the solution to your problem.


message 26: by Zach (new)

Zach Helberg | 7 comments I do think that the characters seem real and believable and, although I can't relate to their specific situations, I have gotten into arguments and other unfortunate situations with several people, during which times I preferred to try to win the mental game rather than the physical, similarly to how Ender does. Ender also reminds me of myself because of the way he solves problems, which is exactly that: he solves problems rather than blaming them on others or trying to find a way to delay or avoid them. For example, when Ender is trying to make things better for himself in Salamander and is arguing with Bonzo, he says "if you want, I'll pretend I lost this argument. Then tomorrow you can tell me you changed your mind"(Card 87) rather than just making Bonzo look like a fool and making him mad at Ender. It was a very clever and successful non-violent way to handle the situation, and he did so probably way better than I could, but in a similar fashion.


message 27: by Gavyn (new)

Gavyn | 8 comments Reid wrote: "I think the characters seem kind of believable because it is not usual in our day to have someone as young as Ender go to battle school and fight. Also I don't think they are relate-able because it..."

I agree, I wrote about some of the same thing. There are many things that make them seem real, like personalities and traits. In the other hand there is a lot that makes them not seem real like how Ender is only 7 years old and he is already the smartest and the best out of everyone.


message 28: by Preston (new)

Preston Pfeiffer | 2 comments The characters in the story don't seem that believable because, all of the kids selected are the brightest people in the world , and when you are selected 6-7 years old and already a genius makes it not seem realistic because at that age your brain is supposed to still be developing, stuff and they can comprehend things that we cant even think of.


message 29: by Nick (new)

Nick Beevers | 8 comments I think the character's are unrealistic. For example: No one could hack into a school's server, create a false account, and even create their own security system like Ender. And on top of that, he's only six!


message 30: by Austin (new)

Austin Verge | 8 comments Personally I don't think that the characters seem real . Because ender is only 6 and he's already come up with all These plans on how to get back at people. And I don't think that he would be able to hack the security that the leaders put there. Yes I do think it reminds me of myself because I'm always trying to get back at people. I have also had to deal with bully's before


message 31: by Austin (new)

Austin Verge | 8 comments Nick wrote: "I think the character's are unrealistic. For example: No one could hack into a school's server, create a false account, and even create their own security system like Ender. And on top of that, he'..."

Right I totaly agree I don't think that a kid that young could do all that. Plus beating the older kid at a game he just started is unlikely


message 32: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hecht | 7 comments I think the characters seem very real because even though they aren't exactly the same as us because of the time that they live in but they still act kind of similar to us because, for example, almost right away in chapter four Bernard was picking on Ender not only because colonel Graff made him seem better than everyone else but also because Ender was smaller, and that is what usually seems to happen, the bigger guys pick on the smaller guys. I can't exactly relate to them because I have never left my family for that amount of time and to go to a battle school, but I have left home for long periods of time for scout camps and other stuff so I can't exactly relate to them but I can kind of understand a little bit what they are going through. Ender reminds me of no one in particular, but he reminds me of wise people in general because he tries to understand his enemy and understand how his enemy thinks and learn about his enemy, and with all the information that he learns about his enemy he uses that information to his advantage to defeat his enemy.


message 33: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hecht | 7 comments Zach wrote: "I do think that the characters seem real and believable and, although I can't relate to their specific situations, I have gotten into arguments and other unfortunate situations with several people,..."

I agree with Zach's post that Ender is very smart because of the way that he deals with his fights, rather than dealing with his arguments physically he takes care of them in a way that will help him.


message 34: by Nick (new)

Nick Beevers | 8 comments Dalton wrote: "I think they are real because hey all have to deal with certain problems and they have to use there mind and strategy to win the games against other teams."
I disagree because I don't think that a six year old could actually do what Ender did. Let alone the fact that the government is sending six year olds into the military. That fact itself is unrealistic.


message 35: by Matt (new)

Matt Katcher | 8 comments Zach wrote: "I do think that the characters seem real and believable and, although I can't relate to their specific situations, I have gotten into arguments and other unfortunate situations with several people,..."

I completely agree. The characters in this story are in very different circumstances than we will probably ever be in but there are similar events that can happen in their lives that happen in ours. Like you said, people do get in arguments and small things like that, but nothing big like killing someone because they make fun of you at school. Ender is probably a very different character than what we have read because he is so smart and because of his certain personality that is given to him in this book. But as of our circumstances, I don't think that even if we did have his smarts and his personality I don't think we would have even close to the same experiences mainly because the book takes place in the future.


message 36: by Reid (new)

Reid | 7 comments Steven wrote: "I think the characters in the book seem real to me, but I dont think I can relate myself so much with them because they go into space and they also had monitors attached to their neck and that is n..."
I agree Steven I just don't think that this is a realistic story that I can relate to. Maybe in the far future or something like that but they cannot even have more than three kids. I just think that this story is unrelatable to me.


message 37: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments I think it is cool how he got moved up so fast. He didnt get help from the teachers and how he worked his way up. I also thought it way cool how he didnt disobey his orders.


message 38: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments Austin wrote: "Personally I don't think that the characters seem real . Because ender is only 6 and he's already come up with all These plans on how to get back at people. And I don't think that he would be able ..."I agree but it makes for a good story. I cant wait to see what happens. Why did he even make a secerity system


message 39: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 5 comments Erin wrote: "Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?"

I don't think the characters are very believable. I just have a hard time finding space marine stories believable. That's what the whole story is about. Space marines. The story's cool though.


PrestonThecommunist | 7 comments I did not find ender to be very realistic at all he acts like he is older and he talks like hes older despite only being 7.Can you honestly say you would trust a 7 year old with the power to freeze you?
"They did. Immediately Ender felt the leg of the suit grow stiff, immobile at the knee and ankle joints.
"You frozen?" asked Alai."(card 39)

And I find it really ridiculous that someone would spend the millions of dollars it takes to launch children up into space to train them when its more cost effective to use planes going up and down in a parabolic flight to simulate lower gravity


message 41: by Chase (new)

Chase | 8 comments Coy wrote: "yes these characters seem real and believable because they live on earth for one and can live normal lives, of their chosen for it. I can relate to Enders problems because I have been around older ..."

Coy is right, they characters in Enders game are very believable. i think this is a very good post


PrestonThecommunist | 7 comments Cole wrote: "I think it is cool how he got moved up so fast. He didnt get help from the teachers and how he worked his way up. I also thought it way cool how he didnt disobey his orders."
Can this even be described as a review? I mean this looks like somthing I would have wrote in 3rd grade. It doesn't answer the question at hand at all.


back to top